is this normal

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

is this normal

Post by BeckiHutton »

Hiya guys, just posting because I have just noticed that lily's front paws seem to turn outwards a little bit. I tried Google for answers, but to no avail. It is not a huge amount, which is probably why I haven't noticed it before, but it is noticeable. Hopefully it is something that she will just grow out of. If anyone has any similar experiences,I would really love to hear them. Also, another thing I have noticed over the last few days, is that after getting up after laying down for a little while, she seems to limp a tiny bit on her back left leg, but it goes after just a few steps. I feed her one of those joint care treats on a daily basis (something I have been doing for a while, I have heard it can help to prevent hip dysplatia ). is it something I should worry about or just ignore it, as it is only a small limp. Bless her, she is laying on the sofa with me at the moment with her head rested upon my legs :) I love her so much. Anyway, thanks in advance,any help will be greatly appreciated.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: is this normal

Post by Loha'sDad »

My boy Loha has slightly turned out front paws. It has never caused any issues. The below picture of him getting ready for his first Halloween 4 years ago shows what I am talking about.

Loha's Dad
halloween 032.JPG
halloween 032.JPG (103.23 KiB) Viewed 6586 times
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Oh yeah I see. Lily's isn't even as bad as that. I will try to get a picture, but she never stands still long enough. Lol
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Hey Loha's Dad ... where does he carry the chainsaw?!?!?!? (jk jk ... such a cute picture!!!))
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

The only weapon I ever caught Loha with was a VERY LARGE butcher knife. :shock: I firmly said, "No, bad boy!" and have had no problems since. Needless to say, though, I keep one eye on him at all times. :twisted:

Loha's Dad
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

My baby is 4 months old and she has the same thing! Her 2 front paws turn outward quite a bit. It doesnt seem to bother her, and the vet has never said anything. Should i be giving her suppliments?!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Izzies front paws turn out quite a lot and whlst it counts against her in the show ring it is no problem otherwise. I dont know but I think it may be connected to having a slightly narrow chest. There should be a broad gap between there front legs at the top to allow for a well developed chest, lungs etc. Izzies is kind of narrow. She has won some good prizes in shows so it is not something to be worried about as judges are very health conscious these days.
She may just have tweaked a muscle in her back leg but I would be slightly concerned if the stiffness/limping continues and at the moment it would be worth resting her completely for at least a couple of weeks as she could have hurt her cruciate ligaments. These can resolve themselves if the damage is minor with rest, but it would probably be worth getting it checked if it continues. I feed mine joint supplements as a matter of course so you are doing the right thing. Fish oil (rather than salmon oil) is also good to help take inflamation down. Hope lil Miss Lily feels better soon.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Thanks for that siriol. I thought she may have been showing early signs of hip dysplatia, but that has put my mind at ease. Thank you. I do also feed her a cod liver oil capsule daily. Is this what you mean by fish oil ?
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

So for you mean I shouldn't take her out for a couple of weeks?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I sent you a PM
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Thanks siriol :)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

If you can afford it, I would recommend having an xray of her hips the next time you go to the vet as a precaution. Recently we noticed Belle not wanting to put weight on one of her back legs when she got up but that it seemed to disappear when she was playing. The xray showed that she has arthritis in her hip. No conclusion about the displaysia but there is none in her family for atleast 3 generations so its likely just arthritis. Now we give her supplements and an aspirin a couple time a week.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Lily is due her 1 year booster vaccinations, so i will call the vets on Monday and get it checked out then. Otherwise i will have to pay for the consultation, which can be quite expensive. I agree, it is definitely worth checking out. I have been resting her, but it seems to be getting more frequent.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Just thought i would update. Lily is going to the vets on Monday. Her leg has got really bad. She isn't putting any weight on it now and i am worried:( i hope she is OK.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Oh no I am sorry. I hope it is something they can help with :(
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Hey Becki ... did she fall by any chance?? I remember Kimba once was sleeping on our bed and she went into one of her deeeeeeep sleeeeeeeps where she starts off with head on front paws, then rolls to one side with all four legs stuck straight out. Anyway, when she rolled she was close enough to the edge of the bed that she actually fell out. We all woke up when we heard the THUD! She limped a bit after that (of course, it aggravated the shoulder where she got hit by the County snow plow ... oh yeah ... she tried to bite the tires!!!). Anyway, I guess I'm just hoping for Miss Lily that it's not something super major!! Prayers up for Miss Lily!! :)
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Becki
I hope all goes well, our Chows and their legs ..I use to worry about Nikkis legs cause she jumped the retaining wall in our yard everyday numerous times a day. I tried putting chairs in front even to deter her , didn't work, but she never had a leg issue..a few other issues but legs and hips were great..Keep us posted on her progress.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Thanks guys... I don't recall her ever falling on it. She does go thundering up the stairs though, so I am hoping that it may be something to do with that. It doesn't seem to be quite as bad tonight, but she is still limping slot, but she is putting more weight on it than she was last night and this morning. But she is still definitely going tomorrow, or the soonest we can get her an appointment... but the vets are pretty good round here
Chowchowmum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowchowmum »

Hope Lilys appointment goes ok, my Bella has ruptured both of her crutiates and has been operated on twice, it was a hellish time hers both went within about 8 months of each other, but she has made fab recovery.

Fingers crossed it's just a sprain and will correct itself.
Katie
Proud owner of Bella & Cleo
Wttonbell Chow Chows
http://www.wittonbellchowchows.co.uk
Thank you Siriol for the Banner!!
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

Hope Lily is ok Becki - got fingers and paws crossed over here ..x
Chrissy & Maya

Thank you Siriol for the lovely banner
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I hope it's something minor. Loo had an infected toe once, so he couldn't put weight on his paw and was limping, but I thought it was God knows what, elbow or hip issues. Turned out it was actually almost nothing! :D Lesson is: don't start worrying until you actually get bad news, which I hope you won't!
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

That is very good advice Sarah, thanks :) I have tried to feel where the pain is coming from. She turns her head when I squeeze her knee, so I reckon it is something to do with either that or her hip. It is hard to tell with chows, they don't seem to show when they are in pain, do they. Lol
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Lily has been to the vets and they think it is an ACL injury:( she is back on Thursday for x rays. She has pain relief until then. Poor girl. I just wondered, if it is an ACL injury, what is the treatment for it? What is a normal recovery time?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so sorry that this is the possible outcome :( No doubt your vet will tell you which treatment they prefer for Lily. There are many and it is worth your while doing some research to see what you think as well, as some vets have a very blinkered aproach and use the same treatment on every dog some will refere you on to an ortho vet. The treatment ranges from conservative management which is what I was explaining to you before, to tplo - tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (sp!) in between you have various tradition approaches. I was going to write it all out but I think this site explains it rather well http://dogkneeinjury.com/cruciate-ligam ... y-in-dogs/ Having been through all this with Bramble twice please ask if there is anything I can help you with. With Bramble we used Conservative Managemant to begin with as she was only five months when she first injured and was not old enough for TPLO. They should have stopped growing. She had her first tplo at 2 and the second at 2 1/2. Recovery from tplo is about 3 -4 months and conservative management and traditional about 6+ months. It is gradual though with slow increase in exercise.

Sorry for poor Lily. Give her a big hug from me and Bramble send purple kisses XXXXX
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Thanks for your reply siriol. It sounds like quite a bad condition:( my poor girl. I just want to get Thursday out the way so I know.