Our Chow catches mice !

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wendy-lou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Our Chow catches mice !

Post by wendy-lou »

Hey guys , I am quite new to this but I wanted to find out if anyone elses chow is as cat like as ours ?, his name is Mugen (Moogen) he is 9 months old and is a huge pussycat in more ways than one.

He catches flies,
Plays with our cat's toys,
Curls up in a ball with his paws tucked under him to sleep, when he is not stretched out in a doorway,
He catches mice and plays with them,
He chases string and wool,
He cleans himself like a fat cat lol,
He holds his food in his paws like our old puss. Etc.
Oh and the thing I hate but have to laugh at is that he soils my rockery the same way my elderly cat does :o , blinkin big shock I can tell you when I was doing my garden !

The list goes on and on, I know they can have cat like traits but was so suprised to see so many of them in our little/big guy.

I would love to hear from anyone else who's chow does these things. :)

Thanks Wendy-lou
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Our Chow catches mice !

Post by Sirchow »

Sorry I never saw your post about calling at the shop till just now. I was sad to miss you and I couldn't believe it cos I always miss any chow in the town :( but we will meet up at some point. I will message my email address to you so we dont miss each other again.

Ours are both very cat like:
Both hate the rain and getting their feet wet
Bramble catches mice but Izzie is way too lazy hehee
She is curled up on the settee at the moment with her paws tucked in with the cat leaning on her!
They fight over fly catching duty!!!
Izzie plays with a ball for hours rolling it under the tv table and putting her paws under and pushes it around and I never thought before but that is just what cats like to do too.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Kimba girl, who passed away in June this year, LOVED MILK!!! When we would put our forks down after dinner, she would jump up ready to lick our plates and she would do the same thing when I would set my spoon down after enjoying my breakfast cereal. She would lap up the milk that was left over. She would also poke her nose in the fridge when she wanted a drink. She never did that when I was preparing a meal, just when she wanted a sip (the milk was at "nose" level in the fridge. I would give her a little saucer and say, "Nice kitty!" ((Thanks for bringing up that memory. I miss her so!!))
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
wendy-lou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendy-lou »

Aw Cherriemater,
I am sorry for your loss, my boyfriend lost his last Chow Oliver 11 years ago and he is being reminded on an hourly basis by all the crazy things Moogs does .
Mugen does have a fascination for breakfast time , especially when our 8 year old daughter is on duty and she sneaks him milk :lol:, it is so endearing to see, I also love the way he stretches just like a cat :) , we have only had him since 16th July but I am in love - we don't watch tv any more we watch him :)

Hi Sirchow , I would love to know more about the fact you have cats because at the moment our 3 cats live upstairs because Mugen is trying to chase and play with them constantly, the only one who stands her ground is our 15 year old Tabby, she doesn't run from him and they can sit quite happily for ages with the stairgate between them sharing some raw meat until she decides she has had enough and tootles off up the stairs and then the chirping and talking starts he is obsessed, we have heard of cats being killed by chows :shock: and would never want to push it so would appreciate any help with this, he has just been neutered and is already seeming less distracted and happier so we are hoping this will help with his training in the house. I have e-mailed you also :) .
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Ours lived upstairs too for a long time and then one day they just got sick of it and gave the dogs a good telling and gradually started coming down more and more till they were best mates and even slept together sometimes. I think the most important thing about introducing chows and cats is to do it on the cats terms so they can run away and never be trapped. Eventually they come round. It took Ollie about 9 months to come down stairs when we got our spaniel but went back to being upstairs again when we got Bramble for a few weeks and then he told he what for and she gave him a wide berth. With Izzie he took one look at the new puppy and whacked her good and hard and she never bothered him at all. They are best mates. Our other cat was less scared and just does his own thing mostly. Ollie was a rescue that no one had touched till he was over a year so he can be quite nervouse. Sounds like you are doing all the right things just a bit more time.
I got your email will reply shortly :D

Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
wendy-lou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendy-lou »

Fab just what I needed to hear :) , Our eldest puss had a right go at Moog a few weeks back and Scott had to remove one of her claws from his nose, he does seem more tolerant towards her now but the other 2 are terrified but I was thinking the same as you that time would be needed and to just let them get on with it. They are quite safe and that's all that matters. :)
wendy-lou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendy-lou »

Fab just what I needed to hear :) , Our eldest puss had a right go at Moog a few weeks back and Scott had to remove one of her claws from his nose, he does seem more tolerant towards her now but the other 2 are terrified but I was thinking the same as you that time would be needed and to just let them get on with it. They are quite safe and that's all that matters. :)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Aww, that's a beautiful picture. I have two black cats, one 10 year old male, and one 2 year old female. Ty chases them sometimes, but not as often as he used to. They took more and more of the apartment back everytime we left with Ty for a weekend. Now Tulio doesn't tolerate Ty too much. He'll coexist, but he doesn't go out of his way to hang out with Ty or go near him unless he has to. Indy is becoming friends with Ty, even if she claws and spits at him when he gets too close they follow each other everywhere in the appartment and are always curious about each other. Indy will drink out of Ty's water bowl and they'll play laser chase together. I'm sure in a few years they'll be closer. I'm not too worried about them. They're actually incredibly cute on how they "pretend" to have issues with each other, but need to see what each other is up to all the time.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

J.D. acts cat-like, he has never caught a mouse (thank goodness!!) but he does try to catch flies, and stretches his paws under the TV stand and hutch when toys roll under there. He stretches his back out like a cat when he gets up sometimes. And his very favorite thing to do is lay on the back of the couch looking out the window!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thanks Wendy-lou. This site has been SOOOO helpful in the grieving process. Now all these remembrances keep her close to me and I bathe in the warmth of the memories.

Sirchow ... that is an absolutely FABULOUS picture. I Awwwwwwed out loud!!! Thanks for sharing.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

Lol My two chows are also very cat like. They catch mice and sit on the back of the couch and watch the cars go by. My hubby says we have dats and cogs because we have two ragdoll cats that act like dogs and two dogs that act like cats. The cats run around the house growling and play fetch.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hey Bubbybear, I like that your cat plays fetch. The best cat I ever had was named Waldo, because he was black and could disappear. "Where's Waldo?" Waldo liked to play fetch. My two fuzzy buddies liked to play with the cat toys, and they get along quite well with the cats. The dogs try to catch flies and other insects. They would also take their ball and bounce it on the wood floor in the house and make up their own ball game. After I lost Waldo due to an accident :( the dogs knew I was really bummed out, and they found a kitten for me. They raised it , so now have a cat that will come up and challenge dogs. The photo of the Persian cat looks just like my son's cat and my dogs, but both the chows are afraid of the cat because she thinks she owns the upstairs, and any of the downstairs is she is downstairs.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Just mice???!!! You are so lucky!!!!! Ours hunt and catch, squirrels, chipmunks, birds, rabbits and they have a unhealthy desire to try goats. They have also shown great interest in skunks, raccoons, chickens, seals, cats, and a few 'religious door knockers that can't read'! You are so fortunate!! ;) ) )~