New to the forum, chow question..

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

KurosMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

New to the forum, chow question..

Post by KurosMom »

First time posting but an avid reader since owning my chow chow. I'm also a first time dog owner so this forum has been my saving grace!
We got her from the Houston SPCA 3-4 months ago and her kennel card states she's a chow chow/mix but they're uncertain what she's mixed with (she was a stray). My vet thought she was a purebred and others have mixed opinions about what she's mixed with. So, my question is... what's your opinion?

Kuro, female, 10 months old.. enjoy!

When we first got her

After her first haircut, :( never again PetSmart!

Who knew she was so tiny under all that hair.. she's fattened up since then.

Last edited by KurosMom on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
KurosMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Chow Mommy! Question about my baby..

Post by KurosMom »

Taken today, after a treat.

My baby and me
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New to the forum, chow question..

Post by Sarahloo »

Chowfoundland, maybe??? But definitely lots and lots of chow!!!

Beautiful girl! She's going to be more like a best friend than a pet!

I can't believe that "haircut". :evil:
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

hello kurosmon
your chow is very beautiful and seems to have quickly the appearance of the breed.
But it may also make it a mix, what is important is the love he gives you, and the new life you've given him.
a +
The eyes of your chow, are beautiful .... :oops:
KurosMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KurosMom »

Sarahloo - Thanks for the tip, I may check it out. It's insane how quickly I fell in love with her. I think all her health issues in the beginning really made me form a special bond with her and I feel like she's my child more than my "pet." And the haircut... I was about to cry when I went to pick her up :cry: I guess they're used to cutting dogs like that in summer (I live in southeast Texas).

gumbychow - Yes, agreed. I love her unconditionally! Just my curiosity getting the best of me in terms of what she may be mixed with. And thank you, I think her eyes are beautiful too :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

She looks a lot like my Tess. I was always amazed when I gave Tess a bath how almost thin she looked. Your girl looks like she has lots of personality - she looks happy & healthy.. God bless you for taking her in. I just know that you love her so much. Her fur will grow back nicely. Had a neighbor that would give his chow a hair cut every year - made him look like a lion! I never did give Tess a hair cut - I think if I had she would have been embarassed! When I was a little girl my first Chow was a Chow-mix - my dad gave him hair cuts every year..........no, no, no!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

She looks like my girl, Ursa, and if she is not all Chow, it would surprise me. We are in south Mississippi, and have the dogs clipped every spring when they start to shed. My wife objects to all the hair in the house. I think the big woolly bear look is neat.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Looks purebred to me. Compare her with my purebred Loha. And I think it is better to NEVER cut a chow's coat. Would you ever give Mona Lisa a flat top? :P

Loha's Dad
LohaChris09.jpg
LohaChris09.jpg (241.15 KiB) Viewed 8258 times
J & C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J & C »

Looks like all Chow Chow to me and Java too ! :D
Attachments
The 2 of Them 030.jpg
The 2 of Them 030.jpg (226.42 KiB) Viewed 8247 times
MinnieBunz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MinnieBunz »

She look all chow to me too. The very first picture did look a little deceiving with that odd patch of long hair on her back, that almost looks retrieverish. . . but nothing else points that way and all the other pics look pure chow to me! She is gorgeous!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

She is beautiful. Looks like a purebred to me!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Sony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sony »

From one new member to another...awesome looking furry kid!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

She looks like a pureblood to me, in fact she looks like she could be related to my Firesong. Firesong is also from Texas, so they could be cousins. The one thing that haircut did was show off your Kuro's nice straight back legs, that and her tongue show she's most likely all chow, the mixes tend to have more angulation in their knees. One of the vet's at my clinic HATES their straight legs, she [the vet] says it causes them more knee problems. Anyway, here ate two pictures of my girl. She has some straight very shiny hair on her back like your girl does. Firesong's tail lays flat on her back, but my Dreamdancer's tail, (he's a pureblood too) curls around like your girl's does.
and
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
KurosMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KurosMom »

Thank you all for the input and details about what characteristics make her appear all chow! It's nice to know all I can about her :).

And beautiful chows Loha's Dad, J & C, and Victory! Thanks for posting pics, I see lots of resemblances.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Welcome! Beautiful Fur-kid!!!! Love, yup, love, makes it all work!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Oh. I wanted to add that shelters will often say that a chow is a chow/mix to facilatate their being adopted. For some reason people think a mix is easier to handle than an pure chow. My Darkwind had a note on his carrier when he came that he was a mix...he wasn't, but being a big boy, it might have made the folks loading and unloading him on the plane less nervous. (he was the sweetest most gently chow I've ever had, so if someone was nervous it was for no reason at all).
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
KurosMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KurosMom »

Victory wrote:Oh. I wanted to add that shelters will often say that a chow is a chow/mix to facilatate their being adopted. For some reason people think a mix is easier to handle than an pure chow. My Darkwind had a note on his carrier when he came that he was a mix...he wasn't, but being a big boy, it might have made the folks loading and unloading him on the plane less nervous. (he was the sweetest most gently chow I've ever had, so if someone was nervous it was for no reason at all).
Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense! Kuro was also the most gentle dog we'd met in our search at different shelters. That's what made her stand out the most and I immediately knew she was the dog for us.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Looks purebred to me! She's a beautiful girl nonetheless. :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix