chow don't want to be touched - help please

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: chow don't want to be touched - help please

Post by bellabear27 »

I don't want to get in any arguments or anything of the sort.. I just want to add that both Bella & Bruin came from La Bande A Kiwi... and no, they are not registered.. but they are friendly, loving, healthy chow chows. The breeder still contacts us to ask how they are doing.. which I think is great. They may not be purebred in the eyes of the law.. but I have no attention of showing either of them.. or breeding them. So overall.. I don't see why it matters.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

Dont worry about it Bella, hes just beeing a jerk, and he likes to have the last word..... alot of people on here find him annoying and stupid. As for francine and Michel, I talk to them once a week, they are soo nice :D
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

So overall.. I don't see why it matters.
You're absolutely right, papers don't matter... unless of course you have a "DNA" test that apparently proves your dog to be "real", and want to show your dog ..... er hem.........

Papers don't matter and that's not what started the entire issue to begin with.

It's about the credibility and quality of breeders

The rule of thumb is that quality breeders at least offer

- a written spay/neuter contract
- a written health guarantee
- a bill of sale
- proof of veterinary care previously
- and they don't keep breeding their dogs over and over and over.

While you may have ended up with good dogs yourself, ( and that IS a good thing), plenty of people who purchase dogs from inferior breeders have not. Loads of people who purchase dogs from inferior breeders end up spending LOTS of money on additional unforseen health care or training issues and in the end, often end up dumping the dogs on the shelter system - or worse - some people have to have their dogs destroyed. I am not pointing fingers at any one breeder by the way, I'm just generalizing on the entire topic.

That's what this entire controversy is about so what some of us are saying is that there are ways to better qualify breeders of merit, because if you buy from a breeder of merit you increase your chances of purchasing a quality dog without health or temperament problems, your investment is well supported and well invested, so that if you DO have a problem your investment is secure.

and like someone else here wisely said, there are people who would rather pay less because they would never pay more - and there's an old story here. We often get what we pay for.

While there are some back yard breeders who are better than others, most of them are in the business of breeding purely for financial gain - period. Professional dog breeding is about the "betterment of the breed", and is not about lining one's pocket with black market, tax free dollars.

Quality breeders aren't just people on the phone who are, "nice to talk to", - that's not what justifies a quality breeder. I think it's wonderful that your dogs are good. There are a lot of people who cannot say the same thing though and they had to learn the hard way why they should not buy animals from inferior breeders.