General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Odd behavior

Post by nelliegirl »

Hi All!!
Today, I was walking Nellie and Lucy, we ran into another dog and his owner. We were standing and talking and Scooter (the other dog) lifted his leg and peed on Nellie's back end. I don't think she even noticed but Scooter's owner did and apologized profusely for the incident. This has never happened before and the owner says he has never done it to any other dog. We were standing in an alley there were no trees around us or grass so it not like he missed and got her by accident it was very purposeful. Was he marking her as his? Is it to dominate her? or is this perfectly normal?

Thanks for any information
Zhuyos mom

Re: Odd behavior

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Did the owner mention if Scooter does that to other people or guests in his house? Is he fixed? Maybe Scooter has a UTI, not so common in male dogs, but still possible. Urinating at or on inappropriate places and things is a symptom of a possible UTI.

Poor Nellie. If the owner said this was not normal for Scooter to do and you trust him, then it isn't behavioral and he wasn't trying to make Nellie his own or dominate her.
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

This has happened to Bella twice while at the dog park, when she was younger (less than a year) I always chaled it up too the other dog (both male) trying to claim her or whatever... I have never seen it before or since with any other dogs. Maybe it is just particular dogs?

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

Thanks for your feedback. Scooter is a dog that Nellie plays with on a very regular basis. He is neutered and has never done this before to any other animal or human. He did try to mount her once and Nellie politely sat down and he immediately stopped and brought over a stick for the both of them to chew. Like I said Nellie did not even seem to notice he had done so I am not really worried. It was just really weird I have never seen that before.

Thanks Again
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

I had it happen with one of my huskies, he piddled on one of my other huskies whilst we were chatting to friends, i think he got bored decided he needed a wee, but not being close to anything upright to lift his leg, he choose the convenience of one of the others as a temporary pee post lol, not happened since :mrgreen:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Many years ago we gave a temporary home to a beautiful Great Dane called Bruce.

We took him with us into town and when I went into the shop with the children, Fred waited outside with Bruce. Fred was busy chatting to a policeman he knew and all of a sudden he noticed a stream running down the pavement. Bruce, probably bored with standing about had cocked his leg up the drain pipe down the side of the building they were standing by. Fortunately, there was the little dip in the pavement that channelled the rainwater into the gutter. Everbody was amused - especially at the volume. Bruce was a very big boy and his bladder was obviously full!! :lol: :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)