Wanna know what y'all think...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Wanna know what y'all think...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

In a few weeks I get paid for an allergy stud that I'm taking part in and I've been planning on using the money to get Jasper neutered, and I've debated getting Tippsy spayed too. I'm worried about her age... She'll be 10 in May and I'm not sure if it's as unsafe as I'm thinking I is? What're y'all's oppinions?

Oh, and I've been thinking about getting Tip and Jazz their CGCs. Anybody else done this with their chows/dogs?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Wanna know what y'all think...

Post by Victory »

Have them do a full senior panel on her, that checks, heart, lungs, pancreatis, kidney's and liver and lets them know if she is healthy enough. Also remember only isoflorene gas, no other pain meds or anthesthia, she should be awake when she comes out of surgery and then if she's in pain be given something. You want to make sure that her heart and lungs are not depressed at all. Having her spayed now will decrease her risk of uterine cancer, it will help with mammary cancer a little, but mostly it will make sure she doesn't accidently turn up pregnant at her age, which is too old to have puppies.
I'd ask if someone is going to be with her when she wakes up and until you come get her. It's better if she doesn't have to stay overnight, that will mean that she's fully awake. Also I wouldn't do them both the same day, you'll be needing to keep them quiet for a couple of weeks and that might be easier if you get one done then the other one. I'm thinking Jazz will be the worse for this as he's more active and younger anyway.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

It is very sweet of you to save money for your chows [:D] .

I wouldn't spay Tipsy if I were you though. She's an old chow and I wouldn't like to make her suffer a surgery with the risks of an anesthesia at her age. You managed to keep her safe of unwanted pregnancies up until now and I am sure you will continue. For me the decrease in cancer is not worth it.

What CGC is?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank you Victory and Elodie. :) I'm leaning more towards only getting Jazz neutered. I deffinately don't wanna risk Tippsy's life for a surgery that isn't life or death.

CGC is Canine Good Citizen. :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix