any ideas?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

any ideas?

Post by lightforce18 »

Last night I put yogi in his crate for bed, and he started wigging out. Head butting the cage, and wouldnt stop barking. I figured he had to poop i let him outside he does his business. I put him back in. Nope same thing. I said lets leave him for 20 mins well see if he stops. Nope just kept wigging out. I gave him water, still wigging out. This has never happened before. Hes 8 months old now. Anyone have any ideas? I don't trust a dog roaming the house alone at night yet, im just too afraid hell rip our furniture apart so I need him crated still.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: any ideas?

Post by Mia »

Has he ever been in his cage before overnight?
Is this just something that happened last nite?
It may be that he's going through his rebellious stage.
Could you maybe put him in a bathroom with a baby gate? Preferably a bathroom near your bedroom, so he is aware that you are near?
Mia
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

hes been crated since he was 2 months old every night, same spot, same crate. This came out of no where
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Molly came from a rescue, so she was also crate trained. She started doing pretty much the same thing. I finally decided she didn't like the crate. We tried leaving her out at night and she was fine. Just lays on the floor and sleeps. I have a feeling yogi doesn't like his crate at night anymore.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

Did you by chance have a storm or rain come in that night? I've had Chows that act weird when the baramoter drops. My most recent chow did the same thing at about 10 months old. I was like you and wasn't ready to trust him alone in the house, well not alone, but with me in bed. Any way he worn me down and won over my trust. But he was never distructive because we were able to correct him at a young age. I started out by sleeping on the couch a night or two to see how he did.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

nope no storms nothing, its just alot colder now than it has been since we got him. Could that be a cause? I guess ill see how he does tonight if not I guess hell sleep in the room with us and the door closed until we can trust him through the whole house.
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

It has cooled off a bit here too, and Buddha is very frisky at night. But my guess is your Chow has decided to declare it's independance! Geez, they are so like kids! Good Luck!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

baby gates work great in just about any situation..they have all kinds.. If you don't want him in your bedroom.. (we couldn't have Nikki in our bedroom due to asthma) but we gated her into the kitchenarea and also left her crate there for her to go in and out of on her own.. plus chew toys and treats in her crate.. She doesn't really get crated anymore but sometimes she will go in on her own. She never chewed on any of the wood in the kitchen (which there is plenty). She just played with her stuff. She's not a chewer though so I don't know how yogi is..
We actually could keep her away from the kitchen set by gating her off from the counter to the wall. As she let us know she was okay we gave her the full kitchen area.. Nothing ever got chewed .. and now she is very happy in her kitchen .
We found a mouse in the garage and we think that Nikki might have heard it scratching or smelled it.(her crate was next to the wall going out to the garage) We trapped mickey and seemed Nikki settled down.. but she was already doing good on her own so we just let her have her freedom..
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Darn chows..... :roll: Mine do this every so often. They want a change to their routine. With three chows here, I have one of them trying to change things at least once a month. Right now it is Fozzie who has decided that he wants to sleep in the living room. When we first got him he slept in the crate and was fine with it. Then after about 8 months or so he decided to bark all night unless he was able to go in my daughters room. He slept in there every night for a little over a year. For the past few weeks he has been waking up in the middle of the night barking. We take him out to the living room and he goes back to sleep with no issues. The only thing about that means that the cat has to be locked up. The cat doesn't like that so he meows and scratches the door. I am not sure what we are going to do about that. Teddie also slept in the crate and was fine for about the first year. Then he moved into my daughters room. He decided he needed to sleep outside though and will sleep out there until the rain starts and then will hopefully move back into my daughters room with Fozzie. Boogie is the only one that can sleep where ever he wants but even he has routines that he changes up. He used to sleep in the hallway but for the past month he sleeps on the floor right at my side of the bed so when I get up to let Fozzie out I trip all over him. :lol:

As for Yogi, I think it will be up to you. You may have a battle of wills going on. He doesn't want to be in there anymore. If you listen to dog trainers, you are supposed make him do what you want but if you are anything like me, the need for sleep wins out so they can sleep where ever they are the quietest. :wink:
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I tell you - I think he's getting some teen angst!
Silly chows.
If he has never been destructive, chances are he won't now.
But, either way, I guess he wants out.
Mia
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

I personally think 8 months is to old !

We left Winston locked in the laundry for the first couple weeks (10-12 weeks) and has had full access to the house. The only mischief he has been up to is stealing mariannes shoes and stealing toliet rolls. As long as you tell him what is accepable and non acceptable behaivor you will be fine.

Good luck either way.

Steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yea I might go get two gates then and put them in the kitchen. See how he does there. Do they require any screwing into the wall or they just push into place?
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I love this baby gate I got at petsmart because I have a cat, so there is a door just for her, and one for me, and all pressure mounted! Came with the extensions for extra wide doorways. Works great!

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We installed the screw in baby gates. They work great. I only had one bad moment when I forgot to pick up my foot to get over the bottom rail...took a header into the next room with a full laundry basket #-o .
I wasn't too sure with Shiloh having free reign in the house. I did sleep downstairs the first couple of nights but she proved to be perfect about sleeping. I did the same thing with Nahkohe. At first his night sleeping area was in the garage. When I thought Shiloh & Nahkohe could spend the night together without going into a double zoomie in the middle of the night, I left the garage door open. I slept downstairs the first couple of nights. I was fairly comfortable that they would be okay and not do some sort of midnight wild-Chow thing. From the start, I told Nahkohe "goodnight" - I said it repeatedly as I went upstairs to bed. Very soon he understood that goodnight meant lie down to sleep and would do his little circling thing and lay down for the night.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

At 8 months old, he is done teething, and unless he has exhibited chewing behaviors, will likely not chew your house.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I also used baby gated to keep Coco in the kitchen at night when we got her at 8 weeks old.
The first night has been fine, but on the second night, she barked and cried, and pushed the baby gate (we didn't used the screws) so strongly, even though she was so small, she nearly destroyed it :shock: !
Anyway, since that night, she sleeps in the bedroom with us. She has never destroyed anything in our home, day or night.
If Yogi is sweet during the day, why would he start chewing on things at nights? As Auddy said, he's 8 months old, he's passed that age already.
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

we actually don't even use a gate we just have a piece of white plastic lattice work that we place in front of the door(I got tired of undoing the babygate this I just slide to the wall and you can get all sizes of it and cut it to your doorway and its cheap) and Nikki never did or our other dog Oneill touch it or knock it down. (they heard it fall on the floor and the noise scared them). If they only knew it would take one paw and they'd be out. :lol: Now Grandson figured it out awhile ago that he could knock it down..so when hes here we do use a babygate..(and thats so Nikki has a place to go and be left alone when she wants).
None of my chows ever chewed things. Nikki still has her first little toy we bought her..(stuffed monkey)
IMG_0470.JPG
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

well yogi did it again wouldnt sleep in his crate last night. so after 30 minutes of barking i let him out and in our room. He slept, but at 5am woke up and vomited, woke up cleaned it and went back to bed. I might have to try the kitchen thing. I have never left him at home alone during the day or the night roaming around that is why I am afraid hed chew our stuff lol. One time when he was 4 months old he got out of his crate but locked in the bedroom, he chewed the corner wood of our wall. But this is 4 months later.
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

Okay, vomiting is not good. Could Yogi be in any discomfort? Buddha had a torn ACL and I didn't know until he starting throwing up. That's what prompted me to get him to the vet. Maybe there is more to this, maybe he's trying to tell you something? Panting, pacing and vomiting can frequently mean they are in pain or some type of discomfort. Maybe a call to the vet would be in order?
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Yea i will monitor him today if he vomits again im taking him in.