Limping ?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Limping ?

Post by Swerve »

We have noticed Winston is limping on his front left foot.

I have inspected it a couple of times and cannot find a thing ? No cuts, no puss like the previous thread, dosnt seem swollen, I have watched his coutless times and sometimes he will limp and others he won't ?

The only thing I can think is on Monday when they went to the dog park, I did have to pull some bindies (do you guys have them ? a weed in Summer grass thats sticks into your feet) out of Duff's feet and he was visablly limping in a bindie patch ? Winston had no issues so wasnt worried.

I cannot see any bindlies or splinter on his paw pads but he is limping, hoping to wait untill tomorrow to see if it goes away and I'm certain I cannot do jack for him. Have applied some cream to his foot in the hope its a smal small cut I cannot see.

Poor boy

Steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Limping ?

Post by LEO's mum »

It can be nothing but watch out if he limps after getting up from a lying down position it can be elbow dysplasia, as it was for our Leonora. Just keep a close eye on him.

Best,
LEO's mum
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

elbow dysplasia ?

Thats when i have been seeing it ! But to be fair, even for humans that when it woudl be worse as your going from no pressure to pressure. Is elbow dysplasia common in Chows or just dogs in general.

Time for Google !!!

Steve

EDIT - I love Google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbow_dysplasia
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Scary thoughts !

Thanks Leo's Mum. but I will hope that it is something which will just go away at this stage !!! The whole age thing was spot on as Winston is 5.5 months and a Make, sounds like he is doomed. Just kidding.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Crossing my fingers it will just pass.

Here is a link to LEO's dysplasia saga, the very beginning of it. I did several threads on it back in 06 & 07. Looking at the date of this first thread, Nov 06, LEO had just turned one years old.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... +dysplasia

You could do a site search on "elbow dysplasia" and it will give you 5~6 pages worth. Elbow dysplasia is very much in the Chow breed, I am afraid......

Take care,
Leonora & mum
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Leo’s Mum,

I did a search yesterday and read abit about it. A lot of you are giving supplements etc. So fingers crossed Winston is OK, which I’m confident he will be.

I mentioned he was licking that paw a few weeks back and I found a pus-sy patch between his pads. After I creamed him up it dried and scabbed up in two days. Yesterday couldn’t find any obvious redness , but maybe a very very slight red area in the very centre. Just almost impossible to see past the fur.

This morning I caught him licking his paw, as it was also wet, so I’m confident it’s rash related etc. No limping this morning which I was happy about. I did cream the area last night. Just glad I’m aware of this issue as never heard of it before. Winston is from a good breeder so fingers crossed. To be far what is the odds of getting ED ? 10% 40% etc ?
:?:
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Well a week on and no more limping !! Relieved after reading about Elbow Dylsplasia (spelling)
SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SoonLee »

My Chow was limping. After a few days I took him to the Vet. After xrays were done, the vet told me to put my fingers between his pad up as high as I could get my fingers. He had a piece of shale jammed up into the space between his pads. All was good after that.