Want to rescue adult chow - suggestions???

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Elena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Want to rescue adult chow - suggestions???

Post by Elena »

We have a 12 years old female neutered chow. Were ae thinking to adopt 3 years old male. Very scared how will it go, and if they hit it off. Any suggestions? Anybody had the same expirience? Any replies are greatly appretiated!
Sorry i am newby here, maybe i am duplicating other posts.
Last edited by Elena on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chows can not live without your love!!!
Auddymay

Re: Want to rescue adolt chow - suggestions???

Post by Auddymay »

Try and have the animals meet on neutral ground. How is your current Chow with other dogs in general? There are many successful adult adoptions, but I also know a few that went horribly bad because the person adopting only saw a new fluffy, and did not use any common sense, much like an impulse buy. Tell us more about the personalities of both animals. You are definitely getting the right gender, and at 3, he is in his dignified stage, so the puppy traits won't irritate your older girl. More information will help us help you.
Elena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Want to rescue adolt chow - suggestions???

Post by Elena »

Thank you for your reply.
My girl is jeolous of other dogs coming towards us, unfortunately. Although our parakeet can do whatever he desires to her. The dog we want to rescue is fighting with his brother, but nice to his sister.
Do not know is we can match them.
kingalls

Re: Want to rescue adult chow - suggestions???

Post by kingalls »

Have you had other dogs in your home? How did she react?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Elena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Elena »

Some dogs she would even let eat from her bowl, some she would not let a foot inside. I do not know what is her trigger. But she was young back then, now she mostly sleeps, and do not get up much. And the dog we want to get is in another state and i can not test them together. Should i not even try to get him then? It is so sad, he is abandoned and everything... And i like him already.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I wish I could rescue but in my household I know that it would upset the "balance" and we're not home to monitor every minute to make sure that problems are not quickly dealt with. For us, we would want to be there to make sure they work it out. If your girl has been okay with letting others share her food bowl, that's a great indication that it might be okay to bring another dog into your family. If you find that your girl is not happy sharing the household at first, you might need to keep them separate for a while. There's a thread regarding the Bama training method (check out the training forum) about getting the Chows use to one another. You will need to be prepared to keep them separate until they accept one another. It's a 50/50 situation - if they get along right off the bat, then that's super! - if they don't, you need to be prepared to take the extra steps to help them. If you're not in a situation to do the extra steps, then you might want to re-evaluate if you can rescue another dog right now.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh