General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SirDooFuss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dry Lightning

Post by SirDooFuss »

It's been a long night.
I'd heard something about dry lilghtning on the radio but didn't think anything of it. Then around 1AM our Chow-Diva Shelly woke us up all whiney and flustered. I just couldn't calm her down and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then between 2-3AM I saw the flash and figured it out. I gave her a treat and turned on some lights and then she was fine until 5:30 when the thunder started. The poor thing actually jumped up in our bed, something she's NEVER done. Lightning is rare for us, how about the rest of you?

*YAAAWWWWWNNN*
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dry Lightning

Post by LEO's mum »

Hi, hi! It turns out that we had some rain at our part as well. Not much, but our first rain of the season, and it is sooooo early. We heard the thunders, horribly loud. LEO is not afraid of noise, touch wood. She is OK with Fleet Week and 4th of July. She didn't even walk around when the horrible noise woke me up, and it was so often last night. The sun is trying to get out now, let's hope we get more seasonal weather soon. Please give Shelly a big hug from us. [:D]

Leonora & mum
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Yeah that was really weird last night. It was in the high 90's all day here and then the lightning, very loud thunder, and some rain about 1am. The thunder scared the heck out of me. I ran out and got poor Teddie who was terrified outside. It took all night to get Teddie, Boogie, and Nemo (our cat) to settle down. Just about the time we fell back asleep, Fozzie, who is deaf so he didn't hear a thing, was ready to get up. :roll:
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I think here we call it heat lightning, no rain just flashes of light, it is fairly common. My furkids don't seem to be bothered but I think it is because they see it occasionally
Schmooshie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Schmooshie »

Hi! We get a ton of lightning/thunder here in Zhuhai, China. We are in a tropical area (very near Hong Kong) and right now actually we are having a pretty severe typhoon. Schmoosh (our chowchow) and Fluffie (our malamute) are not bothered one bit by it, unless I take Schmoosh outside to pee, in which case she hates getting wet and starts to sniffle and whine... But in terms of lightning and thunder they are not scared at all! Maybe they are used to it...