Potty Issue ><

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sakura
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potty Issue ><

Post by Sakura »

Hi all,

Our 2.5 - month - puppy, Momo has been living with us for one week :D He knows to go do his business on the pad. We praise him and give him a treat (sometimes double treats) every time he does it right. We put the pad close to the door on the tile. We also let him run around on the carpet sometimes, but he marked twice on our carpet #-o He also marked once on a soft towel which was placed in his crate :cry: We are not sure why he always tends to mark on carpet/towel but on the tile :roll: Can anyone please tell us how to teach him not to do so?

Thank you!

Sakura :)
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Potty Issue ><

Post by LEO's mum »

If the carpet area is a no-go area usually, Momo might not have associated it w/in his living area, yet. Chows are very clean and very particular they hate to soil their own living space. Make sure the smell is out completely by using products such as Nature's Miracle so the odour left behind would not induce him to soil the same area again. Having said that, the plushness of the carpet or a rug might have the same feel as lawn. Many do start out soiling it, maybe more so as we tend to keep the little ones off of it knowing what can happen. If you catch him in the act, say "no" or "eh-eh", pick him up onto the wee-wee pad. If he finishes up the remainder that needs to come out of his body on the pad, praise him ALOT, and treat him well. Don't be stingy, it is cheap to bribe especially for housebreaking. Remember to scold him only if you catch him in the act. It is the act that is bad and not being found out. You don't want a closet wee-er of a dog. He will learn soon. Then again, my DH used to call me Cinderella as I was on my knees cleaning after my LEO when she was a puppy. I was at it for a while..... We didn't/don't crate her, and her aim on the wee-wee pad wasn't perfect tho her heart was at the right place. I just sighed and went on cleaning.

I am quite surprised that Momo actually went in the crate. How long do you keep him in the crate at a time? Puppies, as a rule of thumb, needs to go every hour per month old. So, say at 2.5m/s, roughly every 2.5hours. They can and do hold longer if they are sleeping, but put him on the pad(if he is not going outside yet) every time you get him out of the crate, after each meal time and after play. It is a full time job, but won't last for long. I'm sure you'll be able to look back on it as sweet, fond memories of his puppyhood.

Also, off topic, remember to take lots of pictures. Puppies grow up way too quickly.

Best of Luck,
Leonora & mum

link to Nature's Miracle's HP: http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.php
Sakura
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sakura »

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your advice! We also figured out why he marked on the towel in the crate. Actually that was his first time being put in the crate. We simply put him in and didn't put any toy or snack in there. He probably didn't know what we wanted him to do in there. /:)
We really appreciated your help! Here are some pictures of Momo. :D

Sakura :)

rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

He is a real cuttie. He looks like my Bo, he is 4mo old. Iguess I`m lucky, he hasn`t gone once inside since I brought him home. My girl, Bear my have gone inside three times in the nine years I have had her and it was always by the door and because I was late getting home fo some reason =D=