New to the forum

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tenaciouschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

New to the forum

Post by tenaciouschow »

...but have 9 years of chow experience with my girl, Tacoma.

I stumbled upon this website today and began browsing some of the topics, but have not seen too much on the subject of "huffing". When Tacoma initially entered our lives we had mistaken this behavior as a sign of affection. Too soon we realized that she only made the noise when she was annoyed with us. I wonder have other chow owners encountered this behavior. It is amusing at times and hurtful on other occasions (like when you hug your chow and s/he is disinterested). I would love to hear of others experiences.
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New to the forum

Post by nean007 »

Huffing actually comes up a lot. Dargo huffs when he's especially annoyed with the cat and is heading down the stairs to chase her up her tree stand.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Welcome to the forum, I have tw Chows. you certainly have to understand them to make everyone happy. Yoshi huffs and makes Haw haw sounds. The huffs are usually from being annoyed, the haw haw sounds are when he wants something. Maxine, hasn't huffed yet

David
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

tenaciouschow wrote:...I stumbled upon this website today and began browsing some of the topics, but have not seen too much on the subject of "huffing"...
You have to use the correct keyword search. Try "huff" and you'll get 100+ posts. If you use the word "harumph", there are 20+ posts. Not sure how many "chuff" will bring you. Much has been posted on the subject of huffing but we spell it all different ways!
amandy729
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by amandy729 »

Hi new user, I'm new on here too. My coco Huffs too. But it's her warning "bark" before she starts really bark. She'll do it if someone new is in the house and she is not too sure she likes them yet, she'll just huff their way a few times. The vet almost confused it with a cough, I had to explain that its just her way of saying stay away, or acknowledging her presence. :)
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow also will "huff" prior to the actual growl or bark. It's like the first things she does when she's just heard something and she's trying to figure out if it needs a full blown growl/bark.

Now, if I'm hugging her and she's thinking "this is so undignified", then I'll get a Hurrrrrooofff sound. But, its' different than the "huff".
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

It is all part of their Chownese. Milly and Mabel huff, puff, harrumph, snort, harrrrooofff, grunt, aaaaah - and the slow nasal grunts that mean they want to go out to spend a penny. Also when they enter a room they stand still for a moment and look and say "Mmm!" which means "what's going on"! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble has taken to lying behind the front door beore I go to work and I can't move her. She weighs six times as much when she lies on the door mat. There is this huge sigh she does each time as if the whole work thing was so petty but I will go anyway so she must do what she can to stop me. The looks and sighs go on all the way to the kitchen when she finally gives up in exchange for a bit of dried tripe. Today I tricked her by going out the back door and opening the letter box and saying her name. You never saw a chow get to her feet sooo quickly. I wonder if the sighing will begin again tomorrow morning. :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bet it will!! You are right they weigh so much more when they sit or lie down and you are trying to move them. Milly and Mabel both respond to "excuse me" but if they really don't want to, they won't, little baggages.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

Welcome! Fozzie Bear never huffed, he whined and talked back. However, Chewie huffs all the time and when she is super annoyed (which is all the time now that she is an old lady) she huffs then ends with a grunt and sigh. She is very dramatic.
tenaciouschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tenaciouschow »

Wow! Your responses accurately describe Tacoma's vocabulary. I wish I had joined this forum years ago to benefit from your insight. Nine years later and I am still learning!

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

Welcome ! :) I have yet to hear my Chows huff, so I don't know. :?
***** Lobis Cunami *****