Red's Story

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Red's Story

Post by debraschow »

On 2-26-09 we received an email from Terina and Larry Harris. They knew of a blind chow that was endangered of being PTS on the following Thursday. We were in the middle of tax season, and just really didn't feel like it was going to be fair to anyone. We wouldn't have the time to spend with Milo and the new dog, and I don't think I even told John at the time because we were just way to busy, and feeling bad enough about the long periods of time that Milo was spending by himself. So I asked if someone could foster or something, I never heard back, I was hoping it would be okay......

So this past weekend or Monday, John is spending most of the time at home, and he felt like Milo needed a friend, other than ducks, cats and humans. And John was thinking we had room in our hearts for another dog, so he suggested that I come to this site or talk to Larry and Terrina about another chow. Because I actually work, I get home on Monday, start to relax and check my email, and there is an email from Larry (before I have even contacted him) telling me there is a blind chow that needs a home. (Huh???!!! How does this happen?) So I showed John the email and emailed Larry back, wanted a bit more info, and long story short, he was scheduled to be PTS on Thursday, they wanted us to foster, but we told Larry that if this worked out we would adopt him. It's the same chow from February.......Larry contacted the shelter and told her about us and she gave him her cell phone number and then he called me and gave me the info, and asks me how far Mt Pleasant is from Mesick. I told him about and 1 1/2 hours. He said you aren't going to believe this but Cindy lives in my town. My town is in the middle of frigging nowhere and has like a couple of 100 residents!!!!!!! So I got delivery last night, can't get anything else delivered, but I get a blind chow from 90 miles away delivered to my door!!!!!!

My camera wasn't charged when I came home tonight and it was late, but I got to play with the boys outside. John already has Red working off leash, and he is doing really well, and now my eyes are tearing because my boys are laying on the living room floor , next to each other, back to back, and sound asleep, and next to me, and they look like they have always been together, it's 24 hours now.

So I guess we have a pair! I promise I will take pictures tomorrow, and post them, after we tell Cindy he has a home.

Debra, John, Milo T Fluffbucket, and Red E Wear
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Red's Story

Post by chow fancier »

Some things are just meant to be! Congrats on the new family member and bless you for rescueing.

I don't know if you have had a blind pet before but Teddy is my second blind chow so if you have any issues/questions feel free to ask.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

\:D/ Wow! that is a great story! Can't wait to see pictures and hear how things are going :)
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I drove through Mesick once, it is a small town for sure. Let me get this straight-Red was in MP, and your contact and the transporter of Red live in your community? First, many thanks to that angel! Second, what a wonderful thing you did, for both your furkids. I know you have a special place in your heart for blind Chows, and this one had so many things against him. I will be patient for the photos...try, anyway.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Cindy the rescue angel from MP just wrote me and I want to share her email;

It's only fair that I tell my half of the story;

Red was such a love at the shelter that week after week we kept him from harm because, even though he was blind and heartworm positive, we felt he would be a good companion for someone.

At first he was distracted trying to plot his surroundings but after a day or two it seemed he remembered where everything was! After that, he was all about getting human love.

So, I get the call from Larry saying they just have to get the dog to Mesick. My sweet husband, who already had a truck full of supplies and dogs, said, "Sure"!
We load him up and take him to the best home a dog could dream of!

These folks have Milo, a gorgeous full chow, and hundreds of acres of open land. They are so excited to see their new boy that they wait by the road for us. Talk about feeling welcome!

Red was already getting his boundaries down when we left after a short visit. He is going to be so loved and have a true forever home.

Thank you so much, all of you, for watching our site and helping us out when you can.

Sincerely,
Cindy Bryan
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

What a great story!! I always say everything happens for a reason. I can't wait to see pics!!
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

I think it is a second home for them (down state if you know what I mean Auddy- wink wink) but yeah, can you believe! I think she founded the 501c3. As I understand it she has the contract (maybe facility too) for Isabella county.

I know I shouldn't have felt guilty about February, but it really nice to know that somehow someway he ended up with us.

Deb
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

oh how wonderful, I am sure you all will be happy especially red =D=

David
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Awesome story! Some things are just meant to be!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!