Chow facial structure

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

xtinax33
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow facial structure

Post by xtinax33 »

I have a white female chow with brown ears. The stereotypical chow has a flat face or close to one, but my chow has rather a longer face. Everyone always asks me if I'm sure because she looks like a Samoyed, which irritates me because she is PURE BRED! Has the black tongue, personality, so on and so forth.

Anyone has this problem?

Nonetheless, I still adore my chow Ivory.
Attachments
She grew up way too fast!
She grew up way too fast!
Ivory Puppy.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow facial structure

Post by lola chow »

hi there my chow hasnt the flat face either shes only 7 months and i wondered if she will grow into it how olds ivory
chris

Post by chris »

There are basicaly 2 types of chow "face". A closed face is the flatter wrinklier look and then you have an open face. All 3 of my chows have been open face such as your chow. They tend to have less eye problems. If you look through the photo gallary you will find both types of facial features. Not to worry. There are a few different types of coats as well. I can't recall all the names of the coats but you have a smooth, an English coat (I think... anyway thats what Steel has) and then the real long fluffy coat all over.

Hope this helps.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Ivory is very beautiful!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

She is a chow, no doubt about it. I prefer the open faced chows. Ignore what anyone who is a non-chow owner tells you what they think they know about chows. She's a beauty!!!
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Clearly full chow!! Mine has a longer nose as well.
SweetPea Rocks!!
MontanaXman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MontanaXman »

I have had two pure bred Chows. My first was Zeke - he was a large black male with a longer nose and open eyes. My current Chow is Jake - he has a short musshy face with deep set eyes that are hard to see. Both were/are very much typical Chow personalities - aloof, loyal, protective, stubborn, etc. Zeke was more independent than Jake. Jake is more social and needy - he likes to be scratched and loves his toys and bones. Both were/are beautiful Chows. :D
MontanaXman
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Loha has the longer snout and, being the best looking Chow Chow in the world, I prefer that. If, however, he had the shorter snout, he would still be the best looking Chow Chow in the world and I would prefer that. That's cause he's my boy!!! :D

Loha's Dad
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Our female chow, Bella, definitely has a longer snout, although her face does seem to be filling in more as she gets older. However, our male chow, Bruin, has a squishier face with a much bigger head. Both are pure bred chows from the same breeder. So I definitely think there is a range in head structures for chows, so don't let anyone try to tell you different!!

Oh, and Ivory is absolutely beautiful!! :inlove:

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
FNG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FNG »

Take a look at this link provided by Kiwani.
http://www.thewoofgang.com/chow-chows.html
I can readily believe that Chows were once working dogs.
Nowadays they are mostly like big fat teddybears (including mine),
with no stamina.
I just hope that in 50 years, the Chow will not become a bulldog with fur.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Whenever I get my licence papers, I cringe, because the color listed for my one chow is champagne...no such color in chows. She was kinda pinkish as a chowling. I have come to find out, there are no champagne, nor white chows. They are creams, or in the case of Lily, cinnamon. Some countries call it fawn. She is either a dark cream or light cinnamon, but not champagne, for certain!

You have a cream chow, with biscuit colored ears (quite common in creams). Her muzzle is like the classic chows. The more 'closed' faces have recently become the fad for breeders, some really over-do it. If you look at Senge Chows, also a member here, I would say her heads on her chows are balanced quite right, not too folded, and not so open they look like sled dogs.

In some respects, the chows with open faces have less nasal problems, and tend to be more 'athletic' in behavior, though these are just generalities. Ivory is gorgeous. Anyone crass enough to say she is not a Chow is uneducated, feel free to matter-of-factly correct their ignorance.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

FNG wrote:Take a look at this link provided by Kiwani.
http://www.thewoofgang.com/chow-chows.html
I can readily believe that Chows were once working dogs.
Nowadays they are mostly like big fat teddybears (including mine),
with no stamina.
I just hope that in 50 years, the Chow will not become a bulldog with fur.
Exactly. That's before breeders started designing Chows into overstuffed Victorian sofas, with extra padding, folds, button tucks, etc. There's another vintage photo Chow thread, use keyword "Packard" to find it.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Chows orginally had the longer nose and muchless of the short snout. The short nose has been bred into the breed for its look.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

She's very cute and deffinately ALL chow. :D
Jess