non-chow: sick cat

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

non-chow: sick cat

Post by Babs64 »

I have to share with someone so I hope no one minds me posting about my sick kitty. My oldest cat is Riley, he is just 11. He has been acting like himself the last couple of days, so I took him into the vet yesterday. He has kidney failure. I lost his sister to the same problem four years ago. We will get his blood test back on Monday. If they are bad, I may have to put my boy to sleep. I can't stop crying. I am so afraid I will lose him.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: non-chow: sick cat

Post by Laura »

Awwwwww I am so sorry! :( I hope you get better news on Monday!!!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| [-o| we hope that Riley will be okay...having many cats myself and have had to go through your situation more than once is just heartbreaking. We are sending warm thoughts and wishes for Riley.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
mamasboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mamasboy »

Babs64,
Oh, I am sorry to hear about your kitty Riley. It is so hard when any of our four-legged family members are sick. :( I hope his kidney failure can be treated with medication and diet. You and Riley are in my thoughts and prayers. [-o|
ImageImage
LEO
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm so sorry to hear about Riley. It doesn't matter what kind of furkid...when they're sick...we all feel your pain. Please keep us posted. We're sending positive, healing thoughts to you and Riley.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh my goodness, how horrible. Poor little Riley

Hopefully, Riley can be treated with medicine and special food.

I lost one kitty Willy to kidney failure at 12 years, and her blood sister Chilly had the same thing, but we were able to keep her somewhat healthy for 16 years - special food and all. We used Royal Canine special and Hills Science Diet X. They are getting more and more treatments for cats since Willy passed, and Chilly really went at old age.

Many kitties have kidney issues and veterinary science is getting better and better.

Kitties are really just cat versions of chows - or is it the other way around. Chows are the cat version of dogs.

Either way - Chutters and Mia are sending soft, purple kisses for Riley!
Mia
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Awwww I'm so sorry to hear your kitty is sick.....hopefully you will get good news Monday.
Give Riley extra pets from us

Thanks Sweetpea!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope there is something that will help Riley. I'll be thinking of you!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Thank you everyone. I think the waiting for the results is what is making me so crazy. I can tell he isn't feeling to good. He's been a little wobbly since going to the vet yesterday. I have gotten him to eat and drink a little (about a spoonful of can food every three hours). The vet is also having me give him subcutaneous (sp?) fluids. Bless his heart, he just sat there for me this afternoon and let me stick the needle for the fluid right in.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry. Your situation is horrible but just be brave and remember, please remember that if you have to make the decision to have him put to sleep, it will be the final act of love you can show him and he will know it. Remember also, we are all with you thinking of you. :) [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Poor little guy. I hope they are able to help him. There are a lot of new treatments out there. My five year old kitty was sick last August. He had a urinary blockage which caused the urine to back up in his system. He spent three days at the emergency vets getting around the clock care and then another four days at the regular vet but he was able to recover even when his numbers were off the charts so far that the tests couldn't bring back results. He does have to get lots of fluid every day and he will never be able to eat dry food again. When he was in the emergency vets there was a kitty that came in everyday to get dialysis just like a person would. I will keep your kitty in my thoughts and hope you get many more years with him.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty and I hope everything works out and he feels better.

My cousin signed her over her sick kitty to us last year for treatment of the same thing. She was 8 months pregnant and out of money. My grandfather paid the vet bill, since it's what my grandma would have wanted (lost her 7-15-07). My vet managed to get Dodger to pull through by taking the chance and keeping him on IV fluids all weekend. We thought we were going to have to out him down, but shortly after he started that last batch of fluids, he started to bounce back and even started eating. By monday he was able to go home. He is now happy and healthy and only requires a special diet of Hills C/D. He is a great cat and was lucky to make it through. He was borderline chronic and acute renal failure, luckily he was closer to acute.

Point of the story is, things can change for the better. We very nearly lost him. Saturday morning she was telling me we might have to let him go, saturday afternoon he turned around! I wish the best of luck you and your kitty.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. I have to keep reminding myself that he is eating and drinking still and it is normal for him to be sleeping so much considering how bad he feels. Just because he has been sleeping under my waterbed where I can't see him doesn't mean I should be freaking out :roll: . I have been giving him a heaping spoonful of K/D canned food every couple of hours today. When I got his last spoonful this evening, I realized I had gotten him to eat almost a half a can! By adding water to each spoonful and keeping his water bowl filled with fresh water, he also got more fluids than I realized. He just took a good pea (isn't amazing how obsessed you can become with your furkid's bodily functions when they are sick?) I left him curled snoozing up on top of the bed for the first time today.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good! It sounds like he may be feeling better.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I just got the call from the vet. Riley's blood work wasn't very good. His phospherus (sp?) levels where high and his potassium levels where borderline low. So, we are going to try continuing the subcutaneous fluids, an aluminum containing antacid to bind the phospherus and potassium supplements for the next eight days. Then we check his blood again. We can't get the phospherus levels down his prognosis isn't good. The good news he is eating and drinking. He is absorbing the subcutaneous fluids good and his urine output is good.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope with more time, Riley will be doing better!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Riley had been improving. Unfortunately, along with the kidney problems he is anemic. I think the vet may been to aggressive in treating his anemia. He has been having me give him erythropoeitin. Two weeks ago after 5 doses his numbers went up slightly. A week ago his numbers were the same. Then this last saturday they went down. At the same time he gained a 1/2 pound bring his weight up from 6 1/2 to 7 lbs. Because his red blood count went down the vet is basically writing him off. Told me to plan on him getting so weak I'll have to put him to sleep. Right now Riley is eating and acting like himself. I will let him tell me when this is necessary.

I am very unhappy with my vet right now. After doing research this weekend, I found out that some cats have bad reactions to erythropoeitin. Basically their immune system attacks it as a foreign body. The vet did not disclose this possible side effect to me. I might have asked about a more conservative treatment if he had. I feel as if I may have contributed to killing my own cat by giving him this treatment.

I have decided to get a second opinion.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Babs64 wrote:He has been having me give him erythropoeitin....Because his red blood count went down the vet is basically writing him off.

I found out that some cats have bad reactions to erythropoeitin. Basically their immune system attacks it as a foreign body. The vet did not disclose this possible side effect to me. I might have asked about a more conservative treatment if he had.
Has Riley been receiving any B-complex/iron along with the erythropoeitin? The treatment can deplete the B vitamins, which the bone marrow needs in order to respond. The inflammation from the immune system attack can also prevent the bone marrow from responding. There's also a synthetic version of erythropoeitin. Have you joined any Feline Renal Yahoo groups?
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Hi Kiwini--Thank you for taking the time to respond. No he is not getting B-complex or iron supplements. He is getting potassium supplement 2x daily (for low potassium levels), an aluminum containg antacid 2x daily (for high pospherus levels) and 150 ml of subq fluids everyday. I will ask about adding a b-complex or iron supplement to the mix.

The vet is having me try one more week of the erythropoeitin to eliminate the possibility that I have been giving the shots improperly. Riley hates these shots and flinches so much that I may not have gotten the full dose into him.

I had not found the Feline Renal Yahoo group. I will look for it.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Babs64 wrote:The vet is having me try one more week of the erythropoeitin to eliminate the possibility that I have been giving the shots improperly. Riley hates these shots and flinches so much that I may not have gotten the full dose into him.

I had not found the Feline Renal Yahoo group. I will look for it.
In case it's the antibody reaction, do some research on the importance of backing-off the treatment too. Here's a link with some info about the importance of vitamins in all of this. Yahoo also has a renal-related "feline anemia" group. Best wishes to Riley...

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/erythropoietin.html
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Interesting article. After reading this article and doing some other preliminary research, it seems unususal for the antibody reaction to occur so soon after the start of treatment. Riley has only been receiving the erythropoeitin since 2/18/09. He is getting .2 cc every other day.

I did find the Feline Renal Yahoo group and the Feline Anemia Yahoo groups. The Feline Anemia group sends every new member the recommended dosage guidelines for Epogen (erythropoetin) from the fifth edition, 2005 of Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. It specifically notes that it is important to administer iron at the start of treatment.

I definitely have more questions to ask the vet.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Babs64 wrote:...it seems unususal for the antibody reaction to occur so soon after the start of treatment.
Also, check the client info/drug safety sheet for a detailed list of clinical trial info on antibody reactions., etc. In addition, I know there were many cases of counterfeit versions of this treatment in recent years, as well as counterfeit Procrit, etc., but I haven't seen anything mentioned in recent press releases. You can check with the drug manufacturer. It might be a dud if it wasn't properly handled in transit (?)

All best wishes...
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I just got back from taking Riley for a second opinion. The vet we went to is the new vet I recently took Sophie to. Riley approved of the office--he got to hang out in the open window of the examination room until the vet came in.

Riley is getting a new blood work-up and a urine analysis done. The doc wants to check to see if Riley's numbers have improved from all of the sub-q fluid, potassium and phosperous binders he has taken. Once she sees the results tomorrow, we will discuss what other supplements or medicine he might need (b-complex, iron, etc.). She also wants to check that his protein and calcium levels are okay. His blood pressure is in the normal range.

Also, her advise about how to give the Epogen shot was very specific that he needs to have it in his muscle not just under the skin. The other vet said just under the skin was okay. That first week I think I was sticking more into his muscle. The last two weeks I was just aiming to get it under the skin since he was complaining so much.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good luck with Riley. The new vet seems more "on the ball." I hope he will get lots better!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Babs64 wrote:...Also, her advise about how to give the Epogen shot was very specific that he needs to have it in his muscle not just under the skin. The other vet said just under the skin was okay. That first week I think I was sticking more into his muscle. The last two weeks I was just aiming to get it under the skin since he was complaining so much.
This new vet seems more experienced, and is being very thorough. That should give you more peace of mind, and lessen stress for Riley. I'll be watching for your updates, though you'll probably be spending more time with the renal/anemia groups. Sending all best wishes for Riley.