chows and the heat

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

chows and the heat

Post by lola chow »

hi again i wonderd how you guys who live in hot places deal with your chow when the temperature gets hot and sugestions welcome i am getting prepared just in case this year we get a summer :D :D :roll:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: chows and the heat

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel cope with the hot weather - when we get some that is! :roll:
When it is very hot, we tend to take them for a walk in the early evening as to walk in the heat of the day but other than that, they are ok.
They like to lie out in the garden and find shady places. M & M have their pampas grass to lie under and they know where their special places are in the garden. Our house faces North, so they go and lie in the front garden in the afternoon.
Chows are bright - they work things to suit themselves!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

when i was little we had a boy chow he was the best thats why i wanted another he used to dig a hole and lay in that 8)
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

in the spring make sure you brush and rake her good to get the undercoat out.
we do lots of brushing and raking.I think that helps alot :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, over the other side of Crewe there is a beautiful black chow and his owneers say that he digs quite deep holes to go in, usually in the little shrubbery. Milly and Mabel have never dug a hole but they do have their own secret places. Under their pampass grass, they scratch it and fix it to their liking. They are just funny, funny girls. Last year we had to cut their pampass grass down and they were furious - I posted about it and I will find the thread and bump it up for you to read. They were hilarious. Talk about fury!! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I live in the southern US and it gets blazingly hot and humid here for about 6 months of the year. During these times we walk late in the evening at dusk or after dark and I keep the house cool with air conditioning. As Jacqui said make sure you brush and get all of her undercoat out as she starts to shed and that will help. Mine don't spend much time in the backyard except for early mornings and after dark during the summer months.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

We put a kiddie pool in the back yard for Buddha (not that he ever used it), and i know several other members do the same for their's.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Same here,brush brush brush,air condition on in the house ,and they only go out really quick when it's hot out.
They play inside,we left enough room in the house for them.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Thanks for all the info everyone. My Chows are in Michigan now and it's been a mean winter. But, in June or July, we're moving to Tucson, Arizona. What a CHANGE for these guys. I'll make sure they always have the AC and brush them out to their undercoat, I didn't know about that, but it makes sense. That way, air can get to their skin. It's going to be a brutal change for my Chowlings. I'll just have to keep a close eye on them until they finally adjust to a new climate. I know Chows don't belong in Arizona, they weren't bred for that but my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and these winters are killing her. We HAVE to move.
But, our Chows are our kids so of course they go with us. It will be an experience.

Gene.
Gene
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

They should do alright in AZ, I know it get's pretty hot, but usually it's the humidity that makes it so unbearable. My vet said dry heat was way easier on Chow's than humid heat.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

One more thing.....

I realize my response may not be a popular one, but at least it's honest, ok?

Arizona heat....wow!!!! I lived in Chandler (Phoenix area) and it was hotter than a mofo!! :shock:
The old cliche', "but it's a dry heat" is for the birds!!! Beside, it's no longer such a dry heat.... over the years, the Phoenix area has increased
it's humidity factor by as much as 30%, due to all the irrigation systems feeding development there. I can only speak of the Phoenix area
because I worked out of Sky Harbor Airport. I used to have to pack an oven mitt with me, because when I returned home, to my car parked at the airport,
I couldn't touch the door handle of my car without it, lest I get burned. Now, that is hot! I have never experienced such heat in the south, not even in Dallas or Houston, when I lived there.
So, my view on all of this is to use common sense....chows are built for freezing cold weather, so hot temps are extremely stressful.
Do your chowkid a favor and keep them under air-conditioning. I'm a huge fan of doggie doors!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

If you have about 40 minutes and listen to tips and info about heat here is a link:

myspace.com/adoniswalk
TatianaK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TatianaK »

If your wife has rheumatoid arthritis , then chows are blessing for her. The fur that you brush off your dogs can be collected and either knitted to fit the area (socks, belts, mittens, etc) or simply stretched out between thin cloths such as cheese cloth, and quilted. This "outfit " is really good to wear on the trouble areas. Please, do not hesitate and ask, if you want to know more about it.
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mally »

Oh funny you ask about hot weather- right now it's 43 degrees in Melbourne (Celsius). When it's that hot Lychee stays inside in front of a fan or airconditioning basically the whole day except to go for a quick pee and poop. She always has fresh water with ice cubes and sometimes I make her this big ice-cube with a treat inside. Basically you take a plastic container and fill it half with water then freeze it. Once its frozen place a good treat inside then fill the rest of the container with water and freeze. So basically you end up with a big ice cube with a treat inside. I give it to her outside on concrete and she stays at it for hours to get to that treat inside :lol: :lol: Oh and walkies happen only after dark :D