Lucy Heard

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Lucy Heard

Post by kingalls »

From Susan Heard:
I have not been a regular contributor the last couple of years as I have gotten more involved in rescue. However, I want to share this news with those of you I came to know back when I still owned my life.

I haven't mentioned this to many people because it is hard to say without crying but we lost Lucy on Saturday. She would have been 10 years old next month, and we adopted her as a 7-week-old. She struggled very hard these past two years against her autoimmune condition and had been on cyclosporine for two months with excellent results. Her skin and coat were the best it has been since all this started, and she was in her first week away from the prednisone, which I felt was doing her real harm. Throughout her ordeal, even when she did not seem to feel very well, she retained her spirit, dignity, and an incredible will. She inspired us. When we adopted her, I hoped for a good 15 years with her, since that is not uncommon for Chows. I came to realize that wouldn't happen because the pemphigus and consequent suppression of her immune system to counter it seemed to take years off her life. I grieved then for the Lucy we had known but she was still my Lucy-Lu.

Friday evening, without warning, our other female attacked her and seemed intent on killing her. Sally, a pretty 5-year old yellow Chow mix, is not at all an aggressive dog but she has long coveted Lucy's role as Queen of the pack. Funny, because of Sally's elongated nose, I used to tease her that she is a wolf. Wolf-like, I think she sensed Lucy's vulnerability and decided to make her move. Lucy, with her arthritic limbs and prednisone belly, was unable to defend herself, and I was unable to break up the attack before it went on far too long. I cannot erase the violent images and Lucy's cries of pain. It was really horrible.

I got her into the car and to the emergency clinic where her injuries did not seem too serious. However, she was unstable and bordering on shock, so the vet kept her overnight hoping for enough improvement to safely suture her lacerations. I made sure she was given what she needed for pain. They shaved all around her head and ears and it was a pitiful sight. The emergency clinic discharges at 7:00 AM and when I arrived, she still had a very rapid heartbeat and a temp of 103. I took her immediately to her vet to discuss the situation. It was clear that even with excellent care, she would have a long fight ahead because of her age and medical compromises. She was sedated but conscious, and for the first time I sensed that she no longer wanted to fight. Perhaps knowing that she had lost her powers and was no longer Queen or that one of her own pack would attack her, or maybe she was just tired - I don't know but I decided not to make her go through anymore. All through her struggle with the pemphigus, I looked to her to tell me when it was no longer worth the effort, but she always let me know she wanted to carry on. This time it seemed different.

I decided to let her go and she died peacefully except for some snorts as her life was leaving. The vet said it sounded like she had fluid in her lungs, but I knew those snorts - Lucy's typical Chow comments. It felt like a last good-bye. I got to put my nose into her fur one more time and smell that distinctively sweet Chow smell and then it was time to go. She is being cremated and when I feel ready, we will bury her ashes with Sylvia and the cats, Lucky, Spike, and Callie.

It has been hard, particularly because my husband is working in the South Pacific until September. Lucy was his favorite. He is the one who went and picked out a black female Chowling, my first "dog." (I knew I would not be able to choose one and leave the others behind and would end up with the entire litter!) He always called her "a fine specimine of a canine" and our Head of Security. He is the one who chose the name Lucy. It was hard to email him (our only means of communication) that she is gone.

Lucy's AKC name was Chang's St. Lucy's Comet. I know when I don't feel so sad I can look up and see in the starry night sky her bright happy eyes in the black velvet of her face and remember how much fun we had when times were good. She made us laugh so much when she was a youngster rummaging in my daughter's stuffed animals and choosing one to drag around the house. Or she would grab the end of the toilet paper and run down the hall with her white streamer flying behind her. She always denied snacking from the cat box when there was a clear "litter mustache" around her mouth. When I wasn't fast enough serving up "chow" she would snort and grunt and finally poke me with her paw. And boy she could walk in the woods with me forever. She was a Chow with the little hook on her tail and was a petite girl. Until the prednisone, her normal weight was just 48 pounds. I wish now I really had knit a sweater out of spring blow like I always thought of doing.

Well, it helps and hurts to remember but there will never be another like my Lu-Lu and I will never forget her.

Susan Heard
Auddymay

Re: Lucy Heard

Post by Auddymay »

I'm so sorry to hear the news of your sweet Lucy. I have followed her story since joining this site. My deepest sympathies.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Ah, what a sweet girl. I am so sorry for your loss.
courtsey of Sweetpea
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Dear Susan,

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Lucy Lu. I wish I could erase your pain....

Healing thoughts,
Cindy & Kodi
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Susan,
I just want you to know how sorry I am that Lucy has crossed the rainbow bridge. I wish there was something that I could say to lessen the pain, but we both know there isn't. But Lucy will live through you as you stay involved in rescue work. And she's with the others now, running free, playing and waiting til you are together again.
Thank you for sharing Lucy with us!
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy and Tai

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet girl Lucy.it sounds like she lived a wonderful ,happy life with you.
a beautiful story.she will always be with you in your heart.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

susan the chowkidz are sorry to hear about your Lucy. it does sound like she was very happy and very loved by your family. hugs from the east coast...
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by every moment that takes your breath away" ~ anon.

Dear Susan,

You and Lucy have a bond for eternity. Your dedication to her health these past couple of years were extraordinary and Lucy returned your love with her devotion and like most of our chows who hung in there when being asked by the Gods to join them up in the heavens, Lucy wanted you to find your closure - or a sense of peace - too before she told you it was time for her to take the journey. I know Zhuyo was there to greet her. I know because he's been on my mind since Saturday. No doubt he wanted me to tell you that Lucy is fine and ravishing and she shines and leaves a wonderous trail of stardust when the Queen does her zoomies.

So, please take time to take care of yourself now. My condolences to you and your husband.

-L
LucysSusanH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LucysSusanH »

Thanks to Karen for posting Lucy's story and for all of your kind thoughts. I have just been looking at Jeff's little video and it makes me so happy to think of Lucy - her health and beauty restored - being greeted by the Chows we'll never forget and running and playing with them. We haven't had too many zoomies in the past couple of years but she used to run so fast - once at the dog park she even tried to catch up with a Greyhound! And I remember when I was trying to teach her at the park to "come". Instead, she turned around and ran the opposite way - right across a busy highway - my first gray hairs. Lucy - like most Chows - thought there was nothing she couldn't do - it was always just a matter of whether she CHOSE to!

Hugs to all of your Chows!

Lucy's Susan H.
Lucy's Susan H.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

A very tragic ending. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I am so very sorry for your loss.
RIP Miss Lucy. :cry:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Sorry to hear about Lucy, Lucy was one of those Chows that in away belonged to all of us. I just saw this thread two seconds ago and was saving Lucy's picture to add to the video as you were typing, I usually wait about a week or two before I add the picture I always think it would be hard for the person to see their Chow on the Video so soon..
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry for the lost of Lucy.
Thank you Elodie!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Lucy sounds like such a wonderful Chow. She certainly was a beauty. I'm very sorry to hear of her loss.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Susan, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know Lucy will live forever in your hearts.

With deepest sympathies,
Leonora & mum
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Susan,
just remember that for those of us who had been here for awhile, Lucy touched our lives. More than you'll ever know. When one of our babies crosses that bridge, a piece of our hearts go with them. But Lucy is pain free and doing zoomies with my Koda and Sasha, Lou's Zhuyo, Victory's Darwind, and all of the other chows who have crossed that bridge. Koda has been on my mind all day since learning about Lucy and again my heart started to grieve and ache for my boy. But as I hugged the big chow boy this morning that I have been entrusted to take care of now and buried my face in his fur and smelled the familiar smell that only chows have, I know Koda was telling me that life does go on. As the pain lessens, Lucy will do the same for you. As bad as it hurts to have one of our chows cross the bridge, it's also wonderful realizing that each of us was entrusted to take care of one of these magnificent creatures. What an honor that is for each of us. Your are special Susan, which is why Lucy was given to you. And as I said earlier, Lucy will be with you and a part of you as you continue in your rescue work.
Take care of yourself.
Nancy
Last edited by ngraham on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh Susan, I was so sad to read about Lucy's passing. I'm so sorry for your loss. I read your news through tears. Please know you're in my thoughts. Take care of yourself.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Susan sorry to hear of your loss of your sweet Lucy Lu, your in my thoughts and prayers. Run Free Lucy.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

Susan,
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Susan,

I am so sorry to read of your loss. I wish I had the appropriate words to comfort you and take your heartache away. Please know that your hurt is shared and there are people here that care. I can tell you that you were/are an awesome chow mom and an amazing human for rescuing her and giving her such an incredible life! Big hugs to you and kisses from Naomi! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Missi
Missi

created by the AMAZINGLY TALENTED sweetpea
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Susan, I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. We all grew to love her and we so enjoyed your telling of her escapades and of her attitude. She had wonderful Chow attitude.

The Heard Herd will not be the same and my heart goes out to you, but as I have tried to comfort others on this site,

"Say not in grief she is no more but in thankfulness she was."

And I think that is so true - she is now running in The Happy Hunting Ground, where it is always spring, the sun shines, there is no pain, black and white cats sunbathe in the branches of the beautiful trees and she will be waiting for you.

God Bless and purple kisses from Milly and Mabel and a pink slobber from Hector.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I was thinking about Lucy and the herd just the other night and then today at work I poke my nose into this section of the forum, (I don't come here often, especially at work) and I read this. I'm so sorry to hear that she has gone to the bridge...it hurts forever but it becomes easier to bear.

Know that now she is doing zoomies again without pain, doing all the things she loved to do, forever young, free and happy. Bless you pretty Lucy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!