Help needed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help needed

Post by Laura »

I called into the vet clinic and made a debit card donation over the phone. They were very nice, so anyone wanting to donate it was very easy to do it that way and it only took a minute. She offered to mail me a receipt even.
Paypal does charge a fee that you can avoid by calling the vet direct.
Poor Bear...how is he today?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Over the last 24 hours, Bear has been struggling with nausea. He vomits quite a bit, but the medicine he was provided for it seems to help a little. I do have quite a time getting himto take his pills and have tried all of my old tricks to get them down. Since he has a hard time chewing from the crushing neck injuries, I have taken to stuffing the pills into a cheese stick. He is a sucker for cheese!

He also really wants to go outside, but I am trying to limit this to give him time to heal up. The vet said that he should be confined a bit and that walking around would just make his hip injury hurt more. There are also some storms coming through, during which Bear has always been agitated, considering he wa left out in Katrina...he really doesn't like weather!

My wife and I are really running around, between takng care of Bear and making sure our daughter (she's 16 months) doesn't accidentally hurt him by falling into him or trying to rough play. She is a bit wary, since he looks so different, but is warming up to him, coming to realize it's Bear.

All in all a good first day, I think!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

GmeMstr wrote:Over the last 24 hours, Bear has been struggling with nausea. He vomits quite a bit, but the medicine he was provided for it seems to help a little. I do have quite a time getting himto take his pills and have tried all of my old tricks to get them down. Since he has a hard time chewing from the crushing neck injuries, I have taken to stuffing the pills into a cheese stick. He is a sucker for cheese!

He also really wants to go outside, but I am trying to limit this to give him time to heal up. The vet said that he should be confined a bit and that walking around would just make his hip injury hurt more. There are also some storms coming through, during which Bear has always been agitated, considering he wa left out in Katrina...he really doesn't like weather!

My wife and I are really running around, between takng care of Bear and making sure our daughter (she's 16 months) doesn't accidentally hurt him by falling into him or trying to rough play. She is a bit wary, since he looks so different, but is warming up to him, coming to realize it's Bear.

All in all a good first day, I think!
The office manager said he was vomiting so we both sort of agreed it was coming from the meds, what meds are you giving him and what are you feeding him?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope Bear will get over the nausea. It's so hard when they need to eat and take their medicine but don't want to because their stomach is upset!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Ordinarily, he would eat dry Science Diet, but with the neck injuries we have him on soft food (Blue Buffalo). The doctor has him on two antibiotics (Simplicef and Baytril) and the occasional pain med (Rimadyl) if indicated.
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

What would Kiwani say... give him probiotics! 8)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

GmeMstr wrote:Ordinarily, he would eat dry Science Diet, but with the neck injuries we have him on soft food (Blue Buffalo). The doctor has him on two antibiotics (Simplicef and Baytril) and the occasional pain med (Rimadyl) if indicated.
Science diet makes a bland food for upset stomachs but its prescription only so you have to get it from the vet, Per the side effects of Simplicef it says can cause Vomiting and lack of appitite, Rimadly will cause stomach problems also. Some of the others will have better advice like chicken broths and some other homemade foods that are easier on the stomach. I wouldn't go changing his meds or adding anything untill you check with the vet but maybe another lighter food might make things a little easier.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was thinking boiled rice with low-sodium beef/chicken broth or maybe some cottage cheese. Once he has food in his tummy, he'll tolerate the meds better and the meds will fight the infection and pain.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Boiled hamburger (one of the most disgusting things I have ever made) and rice for a bland diet.
ImageImageImage
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

I was thinking soft, not bland. Thank youso much for the direction! I will actually have to go get some rice...
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I did scrambled hamburger rinsed and drained really well with rice one time. You can also crush (or empty capsules) his meds in the can food if he is sure to eat it all. Just do enough to cover the pill taste is what I do.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

I have to agree with boiled hamburger and rice. When Sophie has an upset stomach it is about the only thing that she will eat. But I am sure Kiwani can suggest some good ideas, too.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I just called the vet and made a donation.they were very nice.I hope that Bear is doing better and you can somehow get the money for futher treatment.
that poor guy has been thru so much he certainly deserves a chance to live.
wishing you and Bear all the best and you are great for helping him =D=
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

I just called in a donation for Bear's vet bill. Very nice folks.

We also adopted a Katrina Chow from New Orleans. Can't help but love our quirky Chows!

Good luck with Bear's recovery and please keep us informed as he recovers.

Nita
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

Wanted to let you know that I made a small donation for Bear. The women I spoke with asked how we all knew about Bear so I gave her the website information. I believe Bear is in very good hands.

Shelly
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I called and made a small donation, sorry I can't do more.

If you do feed him boiled meat and rice, be sure to over cook both, especially the rice, you want to break the husk on the rice so that it is easy for him to digest. Also because he is on anti-biotics you want to replace the micro-organisms he will lose in his tummy that he needs, you can do this with cottage cheese, plain yogurt or what I've found to be the best, Solid Gold's Green Cow..it's smelly but has a lot of good things in it and will help stimulate his appeitite, it's also very soft so it will be easy for him to swallow. Kiwani has posted a lot about upping the immune system in the health section on this board. while the anti-biotics do a good job of reducing the infection and swelling from the wounds, they also reduce the natural immune system so you want to pay attention to that.

You also want to watch the rimydal this can be a very dangerous medication for some dogs, so watch him for side affects of it, and you may want to put him on a milder version of the same family of drugs.

Oh and while I know it's not your first priority right now, please do sue the idiot that owned the pit, because that kind of person is going to go out and get another dog, (most likly a pit or something like that) and treat it the same way and the same thing will happen again...don't let another dog suffer like Bear or a child.

Hoping Bear will make a full and complete recovery...he has a lot of people pulling for him.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Jeff and the others motivate me to do more than I ever thought I would do! I'll be calling the vet in the morning to add to Bear's fund (though I won't be coming close to what Jeff has offered). I can't imagine what that poor boy has been through, or what you've been through loving and caring for him, and watching him go through all this.

Cecelia and Brandy
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Last night was rough.

Bear cannot keep any food or fluids down. Most of last night was spent regurgitating anything he took in. We tried taking everyone's great advice and boiled up some hamburger and rice. While he did seem to enjoy it, it all came back up. Later, we tried some low sodium chicken brother and torn bread for bulk, and again, while he did eat, it all came back up again. Even if he just drank water, it would only be a matter of minutes and he would throw it up.

The doctor called in a prescription for Carafate and asked that Bear go NPO for today to see if it helps. He mentioned that if he continued to vomit, we should bring him into the hospital.

Poor guy...I know he's got to be hungry and thirsty and I hate not giving him anything.

...this is so frustrating.

Thank you all for your kind generosity through this very trying time.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I have added your story to my blog, with the hope that you will get assistance from all over the world, if it is read by my fellow scrapbookers.
and I have sent you a private message, I am praying for Bear and do hope he gets the assistance he need for a full recovery, I just wish I was in the position to help.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

I called the vet this morning and made a small dent in Bear's bill. I'm so sorry to hear that y'all had a bad night. He's so lucky to have you, though! He's a truly special chow to have survived all that he has been through, and you're a truly special person to be there for him through all that is happening now.

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm hoping Bear will soon be able to keep the food down. It is such a worry when they can't eat right. Continued best wishes to you and Bear and your family.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Poor little guy. I hope the Carafate does its job and helps his tummy. Maybe you could try and freeze some plain yogurt and he'll at least be able to lick it once the 24 hours are up.
I'll be making a donation on Tuesday. I was going to make one yesterday/today until Tod decided to play with a snake (and lose). :cry:

How's the bill coming anyway? Is your vet being understanding about the payments? I bet they're surprised that so many people are calling in willing to help.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Bless his heart. I hope he feels better soon and is able to eat. I know this is a very difficult time for you. It is so hard to watch them suffer. Stay strong and know that we are all here for you and Bear.
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

As of this morning, Bear is back in the hospital. After all day yesterday with no food or water and several doses of his Carafate, the doc said to feed and water him gently. Almost immediately, Bear threw everything back up again. The vet wanted to keep him today, put him on an IV and see if they can get his tummy in order. He said Bear was not dehydrated and showed no stomach distress, but they are concerned he could be having esophageal trauma from the crushing bites by the pit.

We'll know if he has to saty overnight later. Thank you everyone for the good vibes and well wishes!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Well, I guess the hospital is the place for him if he can't keep food down. I hope they'll be able to figure out what's going on. Poor guy has been through enough.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand