Advice please - immediate foster situation

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Advice please - immediate foster situation

Post by fillyok »

I must be losing my marbles, but I read a post on Craigslist here in SA about a male Chow needing a home THIS WEEK! Apparently this lady does rescue work and the Chow is being dumped at animal control because the owners are being evicted AND going on vacation this week. Not sure why someone that's being evicted is taking a vacation, but that's not my biggest concern. The lady I'm emailing is only trying to help the owner out because the Chow is certain to be killed after 3 days at animal control...no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

The Chow is NOT neutered, not vaccinated and who knows what else. He HAS been shaved, but would probably be a cute little guy once his fur grows back. What should I do? Should I bring him to my house and get him fixed up and try to find a home for him? I really don't need another pet...4 is my limit, but legally I can have 5 dogs.

Here are the pics from CL...he sure is little.
Attachments
black chow 2.jpg
black chow 2.jpg (5.44 KiB) Viewed 5623 times
black chow 1.jpg
black chow 1.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
black chow.jpg
black chow.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Advice please - immediate foster situation

Post by Jeff&Peks »

What's with all the black Chows, almost every Chow thats been rescued or needs rescuing is Black. We should e-mail the people and see if they need any donations for their Vacation, poor folks they just need compassion and educating.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Aw what a cutie.

Phyllis, I hope you know how wonderful and amazing you are.

I guess if you can, try to take him until a rescue can take him. Only you know whether 5 will be too much and the gang might react. You could keep him seperate from your gang if need be until a rescue can step up. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Black dogs of any breed are the hardest to place in new homes. Not sure why but I am told people are afraid of them. If only they new how loving they an be. If you can take one more as a foster then yes. It is one of the most rewarding things you can do. If possible have him meet yours and have a vet check done prior to taking him home.

I will post him to the National Chow Rescue but like most rescues everyone is beyond their limit.

Larry
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

He is cute. Someone I went to grad. school with actually did a thesis on black dogs not being adopted from shelters, etc. She never got to the bottom of why, so anything would be speculation. Obviously I have a different opinion.
courtsey of Sweetpea
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

He's cute and doesn't look very old. If he's young, it seems he might get a home fairly quickly. I hope you decide to take him, but that's just hoping, it's really up to you and if you think you can handle it. Good luck!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

He is cute , from the man who had 6 dogs, I would say if you can afford him and are willing to risk the falling in love syndrome, then go for it. I would take him to the vet right away for a check up and shots and perhaps quaranteen him for a while so if he is ill he won't pass it to your other furkids.

as for the black dog theory, I do agree many people are afraid of some types of black dogs, labs are the exception at least around here. I think between the fear, the sterotyping of the color black and the dog hair that shows everywhere, a lot of people pass them up in shelters

David
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I think, in general, the color is a problem for potential pet adopters/owners. Black cats are usually difficult to place in homes, too - especially when there are phrases like - "when a black cat crosses your path..."
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Thanks everyone. I'll have to find out if the poor guy has been adopted and if not, make an appointment with the vet. I don't want to risk bringing him home to my house with cooties and without being neutered. There's really no way for me to quarantine an animal at my house. If I do something like that, I'd probably come home to a shredded wall/door/etc. It's way too hot here to keep one outside.
I must be one of those oddballs that likes the opposite of what everyone else likes...I grew up with a standard collie, but she was black and I had a black cocker spaniel later. And I think I've said it many times...got a softspot for the black Chows.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

hes a cutie :D it won't be easy to bring another in but maybe you could try until a rescue is found for him ?any way its unbelieveable how great everyone is on this site coming to the rescue of all the poor chows that people don't want any more.
do you think after these people get back from vacation they may want another puppy :evil:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

I found, as a foster for many Golden Retrievers (who generally have very gentle, non-combative temperments) that having each of my dogs meet the new foster one-at-a-time was really helpful. The foster didn't feel overwhelmed and got to check out each of my guys slowly. Then, we'd try two of my guys at a time, then three, then four, until everybody was together at the same time. During the time when the foster was here, nobody got treats. Period. I didn't want anything to escalate. At the same time, many fosters needed to be re-habbed so they were gradually worked into the every-day scheme of things.
Of the many, only one was a problem. She was just one of those Goldens who needed to be an only dog.
Most importantly, I think my attitude made a big difference. I knew the fosters were very temporary and I think my guys knew it and sensed that in me, too. So, they figured it was no big deal. they knew the foster was just a visitor.
The only personal hitch was one senior Golden Girl. I got so attached to her in a very short period of time. Winnie was 9 and her sister was 8. In the foster situation, I got Winnie and her sister went to another foster home...products of a divorce. I LOVED that little Winnie. Of course, everybody knows I love the old dogs. I cried my eyes out when she went to her new home.
As it turned out, Winnie and her sister were adopted by the same older man who'd just lost his Golden Retriever, then two weeks later, his wife. He was devastated. Not only did the two girls get to reunite, but it pulled this elderly man out of of an emotional hell.
Fostering is one of the most important things we can do. But I also know how difficult it is when you have other dogs. I've never had more than one Chow at a time either, so I can't offer any advice in that way. But I think if you can work it out, it will feed your soul in a way you never expected.
Laura Mac
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh...one more thing about the black-dog syndrome. I've been told by lots of shelter people that bloack dogs are the hardest to adopt out because people are superstitious. And, most people are afraid of black dogs, especially big ones, except Labs maybe.
That's why I LOVE my black Chows. Nobody messes with me. \:D/
Laura Mac
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Phyllis,

Oh girlfriend, if only we could save them all, huh???
You are such a loving person, which makes decisions like these such a struggle.
I'm rootin' for you and Mr. Black Chowman!
Please keep us posted!

On the issue of color, IMO...
Dark colors are considered.
Also, in our society, darkness is associated with evil, so maybe it's a natural response when you combine
dominance and darkness?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I know about people's fear of Black, its called ingnorant, The reason I said what's with all the black Chows is becouse it wasn't to long ago 6/7 years people were saying Black Chows were rare. When I first got Pekoe people were always coming up and saying they never saw a Black Chow before, Blacks were rare.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Wonder where they are all coming from (the black chows). We've had Sullivan for 8-1/2 years. A chow person said she was a rare kind of chow, just because of her white rear. Who knows? But from this site, I learned it's not that rare. I love all colors of everything, including dogs, but I do love the black ones. I was going to get another black chow girl (had her picked out), when Charlie jumped into my life. Oh, well, not all dogs can be perfect. Oh, black labs (or black lab mixes) are the most populous dogs in shelters. That's what my grad school friend found out, and check out any shelter's web site. Of the 300 dogs typically at our county shelter, at least 100 are black labs or black lab mixes).
courtsey of Sweetpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Well, I haven't heard back from the lady. I emailed her to tell her if the owners would get him neutered and vaccinated (at my expense) I'll take him. I'm trying to get an appointment at SNAP, but I don't think they work Sundays. Maybe tomorrow I'll have more info.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Looks like I'm a lot closer to getting this little guy. They had some girl come look at him (wanted to get him for a friend, but did not want to neuter him). Even the owner didn't think that sounded right. They really want me to take him in. I'm doing all the arrangements with the helper lady. If we can get the appt this week it should be a done deal. Anyone want a small male Chow????
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yay! I hope it works out.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Awwww! He's a very handsome boy! I have a softspot for the black chows too. I wish I could take him in but with family issues and everything I can't. I hope he gets a new home quickly.

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Weeeeelll this situation is getting more frustrating with each email. Now, the lady tells me "why don't you go ahead and make an appt with your vet since you get a (military) discount". I've been trying to see if the owners would take him to a SNAP place right down from where they live, but they don't want to help. I explained that I can't take off work to get all this done. I just started a new job in April. I just told the lady that I think I've been pretty nice to offer to pay for the surgery/shots and help the poor Chow find a good home and the stupid owners aren't willing to help me out by at least dropping the Chow off...sucks for the poor Chow. i don't know what else I can do... :cry:
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Phyllis, this is the hardest part... choking back disgust for the negligent owners and shamelessly petting and ego stroking them until they fork over the chow. In your case, I don't think you can count on them to do right by the dog in any way. I know how frustrating that is. If you can organize a two pronged attack (with a friendly staffer at SNAP, maybe) to keep wheedling and pressuring these people, that does help.

I know with Lakota, we just went with the mindset of "get the chow, get the chow, get the chow" and damn the consequences, but I know that's hard when you have multiple chows at home to consider and other obligations, besides.

I know you are frustrated, but hang in there sister... you are a kind soul.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I talked to the helper lady today and told her I didn't really want to speak with the owners because I'm afraid I'll say something rude and they won't let me take him. So, I'm using her as a middleman. Buuuut, the saga continues...I finally got an appointment with SNAP on Friday. All they have to do is show up with the Chow and I take over from there. He's sked for neuter, vaccination, HW & fecal test, worming, HW & pain meds, and an e-collar for a grand total of $185. I don't think I've ever put this much effort into giving money away. The kicker is now the owner's phone has been turned off due to non-payment. Apparently they're expecting a check and will pay some bills with that money. The helper lady doesn't know if she'll call her and she doesn't know where the Chow lives. We just need to pray that the phone gets re-connected and they meet me on Friday morning.

The helper lady also told me the owners paid $150 to have his fur trimmed off!! I feel like I'm on a virtual Jerry Springer episode. :?

Another sad note, the appointment lady asked me the Chow's name and I couldn't tell her...so he's Dog A.

We need some positive energy coming our way...hoping he's HW negative. [-o|
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I haven't seen a Chow needing rescue yet that the people involved wasn't a Jerry Springer episode we should write the Jerry Springer show and tell them we have a new topic, Trailer trash and Chows. See if we can get on the same show we will need to back each other up when were getting yelled at and attacked by the other guest and audience.

ImageImage
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

fillyok wrote:I talked to the helper lady today and told her I didn't really want to speak with the owners because I'm afraid I'll say something rude and they won't let me take him. So, I'm using her as a middleman
Good, that frees you up emotionally, at least. Let someone else handle the "what a fabulous, loving human being you are for giving up your chow, so unselfish of you to put his needs first, blah blah blah...." That crap exhausts me, too, but someone has to do it.

You might want to contact animal control, give them his picture and your number to call in case he gets dumped there. People get embarrassed or feel hassled and take the easy way out sometimes even when help is offered.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

I absolutely agree with Ciaobella, Phyllis. If these people are so broke their phone gets disconnected, this boy's next trip will be to the shelter. He'll be the least of their worries. It may sound crass, but since you are keeping track of him, this may make it a lot easier for you. The shelter will do most of the medical stuff...at least with shots and neutering for their rather meager fee. Then you can get him out of there, take him to your vet, get his bloodwork done and go from there.
As far as the money goes, I still owe Jeff $350 for all he did in getting Berkley out of the LA shelter and flying him to me. I could have paid Jeff right away, except Berkley's vet bills promptly added up to an additional $400 once he got here. Yeah. Believe it or not. Berkley: The most expensive rescue dog on the planet. I will say that Sean sent me a donation and that really helped.
Hang in there. Perhaps the best that can happen to this little boy is going to one of the shelters that you're keeping an eye on.
Let me know if there's anything I can do from here. I can work the phones like nobody else!
Laura Mac, mama to Berkley-Bear and to Oliver Wallace, my angel Chow