Berkley's Surgery!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Berkley's Surgery!

Post by wallacethegreat »

Berkley has been here for three weeks today.
He's in the hospital today, having his entropion surgery on both eyes that just couldn't wait much longer. I was afraid it would compromise his eyesight. Who knows how long he's been dealing with this condition? If he's really 8 years old, it could have been for YEARS! And no one did anything to fix it.
On Saturday, I took him to the vet to have his neutering stiches taken out. That LA kill-shelter used WIRE STITCHES! This barbaric method hasn't been used by vets for years. They had to muzzle him to take them out and I could hear him cry in the surgical room while I was in the waiting room. It broke my heart.
This little man has gone through some of the worst things a dog could ever endure, yet he remains very tough, resilient and so loving. He's no spring chicken, but I can't believe how strong he is. He is, after all...a Chow.
I think he went through some depression last week during Week 2. I mean, he's thinking this is a pretty cool place, but when am I going to go home?
His personality is really wonderful and as I think I mentioned before, even though it's only been 3 weeks, he's melded into the family of all the other critters so seamlessly that it seems he's been here always. We took all five dogs on a one-night/overnight camping trip over the weekend. You would've though he'd died and gone to heaven. That's when I noticed the depression lifted. I think it occurred to him that he's part of a family now and isn't going to be thrown away or left behind ever again.
He's now fallen in love with Lucy, the Anatolian, who's easily twice his size. I've attached a picture of the two of them together. She does zoomies all around him in the pasture while he stands and watches her make a fool of herself. She's only pup...a year old...but just LOVES this new guy. They're thick as thieves now. They even sleep together.
Yesterday, I noticed he truly began to relax, to settle in and to enjoy just being here without wondering when he was going "home." And, I think he's now bonded to me, rather than Randy, so I'm grateful for that. I spend 24/7 with these guys now, so they get plenty of attention, but I have to admit, he gets most of it. He's now started feeling secure enough to sleep in other parts of the house at night...but not far from the bedroom. He already is protecting his turf. He barks if he hears something weird outside, regardless of the hour. For a small boy, he has a really deep voice and does these quiet, deep woofs.
All the neighbors came over about a week ago to see "Laura's new Chow." You would think he'd be nervous, but he walked up to EVERY SINGLE PERSON to say hello and get a pat on the head. No qualms whatsoever about strangers, obviously. This is a CHOW? :D
He only weighed 40.6 lbs. when he arrived and now weighs 45.2, so he's steadily gaining weight and thoroughly enjoys his kibble with grated cheese. He's on an eating schedule with the other guys and seems so happy just to be here. I was wondering when that would happen.
But we have several days of recovery now from the entropion surgery, which I feel so bad about. I hate to continue overwhelming him, but it had to be done as soon as possible. Hopefully, he won't be too mad at me when I bring him home.
Jeff...I haven't forgotten about you. I know that you spent a lot of money out of your own pocket on saving Berkley. I'll catch up on that as soon as I can. His vet bills now have totaled just over $400 so I'm a little on the negative side financially. But, I'm good for it and will make it right. You have my word and I'm saying it here publicly.
Tell Conner I'll have some new pics of his Berkley tomorrow...
Laura Mac, the very proud mama of Berkley and to Oliver Wallace who still has my heart
Attachments
Berkley-I'm dog aggressive--remember?
Berkley-I'm dog aggressive--remember?
Berkley and Lucy 052508.JPG (17.94 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Berkley's Surgery!

Post by fillyok »

I'm happy to hear Berkley is fitting in and feeling at home. If his entropion surgery is anything like Bear's was, he'll look like Frankenchow when you pick him up. They shaved around Bears eyes and it only made the stitches look worse. I was shocked when I picked him and held it together until we made it to the car then I broke down and cried my eyes out. I felt awful, but knew it was the only way to help him. Give him a hug from me and my pack.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It's so good to hear how well Berkley is doing! I'm glad he has a good canine buddy to pal around with, as well as you, his human "buddy". :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

It is good that he is fitting in and has his surgery, He will forgive you once he realizes his eyes are better. He is at home and he knows it

David
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

It's awesome that Berkely made friends so quickly. Nice to see the photo.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see Berkley has made new friends :D

Shelly
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

How's Mr Berkely after his surgery??
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Berkley's doing really well. He lets me wipe his eyes out twice a day and put the anti-biotics in them also twice a day. He doesn't especially like the ointment, but doesn't put up any fight. I think he knows it's helping him to see a bit better. His eyes look a lot better tonight than they did even this morning. I swear he can actually see better and walks around as though he's looking at stuff for the first time.
But wow...those eyes really look painful and raw, although he hasn't even tried to rub them at all. He gets a Rimadyl in the morning and at night and his appetite is voracious, so it hasn't affected that any.
We went on a road trip yesterday and I took just him with me. He absolutely LOVES riding in the car. We had to go up north of Santa Fe and it was a 120 miles RT. I'm sure he thinks all the scenery is a lot better than the cage at the LA kill-shelter and even that rotten neighborhood where he was picked up without grass or anything interesting to look at but more concrete and pavement.
He's so funny. He never lets me out of his sight and I hate to say it, but he's kind of a baby that way. But he's great in the house, was already house-broken, etc. and I've never seen a dog meld into a household so well. He's awesome!
I have another story to tell about his name, which I'll post tomorrow. I know I always end up writing short novels for everybody to read....but I know his real name now....and it's not Berkley!
Laura Mac, mama to Berkley and to Oliver Wallace the free cardboard box pup who changed my life
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Be careful with the Rimadyl i havn't yet to hear anyone say anything good about it on this site or anywhere else.. when I took Onyx to the vet Rimadyl came up and I said no way but the vet said you have to becareful with it. it only came up if Onyx was in any pain from being hit by a car but she wasn't so no Rimadyl.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm cutting the pills in half. Rimadyl gave Wally ulcers, so I know how nasty that stuff can be. I thought a half dose would be safe, plus I give it to him just beofre he eats, so he has a full stomach.
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm cutting the pills in half. Rimadyl gave Wally ulcers, so I know how nasty that stuff can be. I thought a half dose would be safe, plus I give it to him just before he eats, so he has a full stomach.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

How wonderful to hear how well Berkley is doing. I'll bet his eyes feel SO much better. It sounds like he is enjoying every minute of his new life! I am so glad you have him and can't wait to hear his new name!! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand