Avery's lease problem...help

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Avery's lease problem...help

Post by ac13 »

My 12 week old pup just doesnt want to be put on a lease. I guess because he has a dog pen and a nice size yard to run free in. Its hard to take him anywhere because once you get his collar on and start to walk and pull him he lets out a huge "yelp". I swear it sounds like he just got shot. The more I try to run with himso he can get use to it he stops and cries again. Anyone have any ideas for me?... And Avery
Attachments
0420080935.jpg
0420080935.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
kingalls

Re: Avery's lease problem...help

Post by kingalls »

Can you let him wear the collar without taking him for a walk - just to get him use to having it on? Are you having to pull him? Maybe that is what he doesn't like - being pulled. Perhaps the collar is too tight and when you pull him, it's uncomfortable? Have you tried putting the collar & leash on and let him play in the yard (with your supervision, of course). That might help him overcome any uncomfortable associations of the collar/leash.

I don't use a collar for a couple of reasons. The groomer suggested to let them go without a collar so that the mane doesn't become matted. But other members used the rolled collar which doesn't tangle up the fur. To take them for a walk, we use a harness - mostly because I am paranoid that they can get out of the collar easier/faster than a harness. They can get out of the harness but it would take some wiggling and backing up so we would be able to stop it quickly. I'm not suggesting you switch to a harness but it might be an option if he continues to think the collar is uncomfortable.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I started with taking Gracie out in our back yard, put the leash on her and let her figure out she could still walk. At first our walks were more of me carrying her (not sure how that happened). I'd suggest switching to a harness. I took Gracie for a walk down the street to see my sister. I don't remember how old she was but she was still real young, I hadn't had her long at all. My brother-in-law drove up in his loud, monsterous truck and it scared her. She slipped out of the collar and ran! Funny thing was she ran home, sat in the front yard and waited for me so we could finish our walk! We switched over to a harness after that. To many new things for the young ones, if they get spooked they are out of the collar before you can react.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Butters was also terrified of his leash for a while. He would yelp like I was beating him. Drama King!! I put it on him and let him drag it around the house. The first time was abt. 5 minutes. Next time 10, a little longer each time. Then I would put it on him and carry him outside so he started to assciate leash with out and he came around in less than a week. He really enjoyed being out front (not back) Because he always got to see something new out front.

Good luck
SweetPea Rocks!!
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Many light years ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was a professional obedience trainer, and that's what I would do with dogs who were frightened/upset with collars/leashes - put it on for a short time, let them drag it about, then let them go outside and drag it about (with me/owner right there), gradually lengthening time until they got used to wearing it and being led about with it. Lots of treats/praise, encouragement to walk with me rather than pulling away. Once they were used to it, it was seldom a problem, though there were some who would sit, or dig in their paws out of sheer stubborness!

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe refused to walk on a leash too untilllllll I took her to Petsmart..sat her down and apparently she just couldn't resist all the smells and excitement so she actually walked and I followed. No leash problems since.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
ac13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ac13 »

Thanks to all for giiving me some very helpful hints and for not making fun of me for spelling lease instead of leash.I think im going to go with letting him rome the house with the collar on. He hasnt had all of his shots yet so contact with another dog has not happened yet. Ill wait for then to try the harness. My last chow got loose a few times from the collar so I assume the harness might work better. The memory of chasing her for blocks when I was 15 years younger are ingrained in my mind.

Thanks again