Butters and our car accident

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Butters and our car accident

Post by chow fancier »

OMG! I hope you are both ok. Take some ibuprofen or naproxen as if it was scheduled (every 4 or 8 hours, respectively) to reduce inflammation, put ice where it hurts (20 min on, 20 min off) to reduce swelling and pain.

Check Butters pupils: are they the same size? do they constrict equally if you shine a bright light in them? Is he sleeping significantly more than usual? Does he react differently than you would expect to anything? Will he follow commands that he would normally? Does he open his eyes when you talk to him? (These are all portions of a human neuro check that should apply to chows too).

If you trust your vet and your vet trusts the 24hour place to care for patients, it should probably be alright.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

What a horrible thing. Glad you both made it through the first day or so OK, but I'm also glad you keep checking Butters. Maybe Monday, when your regular doctor and vet are in?
courtsey of Sweetpea
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

What a frightening experience. Get yourself checked out though, maybe a couple of x-rays? Let your doctor advise you. I hope you feel better soon.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

He still seems to be doing ok. Wish I was built chow tough my left arm is swelled up today and I look like a lopsided cartoon. I am going to call his vet in the morning and see I can't get him in for a check. He has felt good enough to attack the lawn mower, the trash can, the mower bag. So he seems normal. But I do still worry about his little neck. We will see what his vet says in the A.M. Other than an x-ray I am not sure what they would check? But I am going to give him a call just in case.
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That's a good idea, at least they'll tell you whether they feel he needs to be checked out or not. Kepe us posted. Get some rest and give Butters a kiss from me.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

You poor thing! I hope you feel better tomorrow and that Butters checks out ok! [:D]
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Oh Tammy I'm so sorry, I've only just read your post. I hope you are feeling better really soon and that everything is okay with Butters. Poor you and Butters :cry: .

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Spoke with the Vet this morning. He said he wanted to put him on pred. just in case his head was hurting. I reminded him that Pred. made him very sick last time. He decided maybe we are better off not adding to with any med's that might make him sick. He asked me about a thousand questions (which is good) and decided that unless he starts showing signs of stumbling, etc. that he should be fine. He said if he acts the least bit funny to bring him in, but if not he didn't want to add to his stress. So that made me feel better, he said it sounds like Mr. Butters got very lucky. He is running and jumping and acting normal, whining cause I won't walk him :cry: . Keeps giving me the puppy dog eyes followed by his butt to show he is not happy without his walks!! Little monster is going to be OK I think!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That is wonderful news!!! I'm glad he won't have to be on the pred. I can't imagine how worried you must've been. Some weekend you had! :(
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad you are both o.k.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Sounds like Butters is OK -- how are you doing? Hopefully, one less thing to stress about after Butters appointment.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh that is great news! I hope you are feeling better too!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Tammy, I am sooooo glad you & Butters are ok........ and I'm glad you spoke to the Vet......yup, sounds like Butters is his ol' self lol I just LOVE him!!!! Sounds like you BOTH were very very lucky
Figures its the chick with the $75 car and no insurance. Last one that hit me was the drunk on his 4th DWI and drove off and left me there :roll:
I couldn't help but laugh at the visual of you cursin' and Butters helpin' you though:lol: That Butters is somethin' else :lol:
I'm soo sorry this happened to you & Butters.....if you aren't perfect by tomorrow....you probably should go get a check up too, just to be on the safe side

Thanks Sweetpea!
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

Even though Butters is acting ok, you might want to consider some xrays just in case. A friend of mine had a small dog in the car when she got rear ended. Dog ended up hitting the dash, but seemed okay for a week or so. He hadn't had a bowel movement (or was struggling to do so). She took him to the vet and found out he had torn his diaphram, and his intestines moved up into his upper chest cavity. Vet said it was a common injury seen in dogs having been in car accidents, and sometimes the injury is not apparent for several days or more. Was a sad outcome due to how bad he had gotten in that week. Don't want to scare you, would hate to hear/see the same thing happen.

Glad to hear that you both are feeling ok!