Rah-rah for Rescues!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rah-rah for Rescues!

Post by wallacethegreat »

I posted this under "Berkley & Merlin & Jeff", but thought I should start a new topic as a tribute to all those who rescue any living creature....

My post was for EVERYONE who's ever rescued a dog of ANY breed, and in particular our poor little Chows. It amazes me how little people really know about them and how bad their reputation has become. I mean, they're not pit bulls! (Although pits have probably the WORST reputation and most are real sweeties!)
What I find most horrifying is that the purebred Chows are usually euthanized within 36 hours of arrival at a shelter. The mixes have a better chance!
All of these wonderful, incredibly loving creatures going to the killing room through no fault of their own, but rather crappy owners who just don't care or who don't consider their Chow a member of the family worthy of even the slightest sacrifice.
I see Chows dumped because of the foreclosure issue; I see Chows dumped because some woman gets pregnant (I have a silent rage about those people. Did they not anticipate getting pregnant? Ever? The Chow was only a surrogate baby until the real thing happened, then was tossed out? Thanks for the loyalty. The one who posted last week or whenever who already had a 6-year old kid, and was 4-5 months pregnant when she and her husband bought a Chow pup anyway...only to say she wanted to "get rid of him" as soon as possible...she couldn't stand the hair!!!!. I see them hauled off to the kill-shelters because they (and I LOVE this one) just need more attention than the owner can give. Holy crap. These are the kind of people who do not deserve to have ANY animals...I don't care if it's a gerbil...ever. And, there is a place in hell for all of them.
After being in TV news for 35 years, I have moved 21 times. I have always had dogs and wouldn't even consider LOOKING at a place that didn't allow them. I have never had to give up my dog(s) because I had to move. To many people, dogs just become an inconvenience. Can you imagine if people did that with their children?
It is these people we all end up cleaning up after.
The breeders need to stop flooding the marketplace with more Chows than the market can handle. We KNOW what happens to the throwaways. Most of us have at least ONE. We also know that not every Chow is headed for Westminster, regardless of what the breeders say. Sorry, Red Dragon...planning on TWO litters this year?
If everybody who really wanted a Chow took one from a shelter or rescue, we'd actually make a serious dent in the problem of homeless, unwanted Chows. But as long as breeders continue to think they have something superior to offer and have a good sales pitch, we'll have to keep a vigilant watch on the shelters' websites and try to pull every single one that no one else wants.
I applaud ANYBODY who takes in a rescued dog, or cat. If it weren't for all of us, there are a good many more Chows who would lie on the killing floor.
Here's to all of you who have given a misunderstood Chow, or ANY unwanted dog, a home! You are golden!
Laura Mac, Berkley's mama and to Oliver Wallace, the free cardboard box Chow pup
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Rah-rah for Rescues!

Post by fillyok »

Great post. Unfortunately it's a never-ending battle. :cry:

I'm off to try and catch a stray dog now. It's been living under a highway underpass for who knows how long. I just started my new job a couple weeks ago and saw it for the first time last week. I thought it had been hit by a car and was dead. On Sunday I saw it was actually alive and just stays in the same general spot. I stopped today after work to give it some treats and test the friendliness. It ran from me and into traffic so I dropped the treats and left. I'm going back with more food and lots of water. Maybe after a while I'll be able to bring him home...hopefully before he gets hit by a car.
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Rah-rah for Rescues!

Post by wallacethegreat »

Did you catch that little guy yet?
Laura Mac
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows