ACK! Or Why are Rabbits so dumb?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

ACK! Or Why are Rabbits so dumb?

Post by Babs64 »

I got home from work this afternoon. Feed Sophie and Ty and then let them out to play for a bit. I go back in the house to wash my hands inside, then I hear a distressed high pitched squeal. Oh, no! I have heard that sound before. I rush outside. Sure enough Sophie has a baby rabbit in her mouth. Some stupid rabid has a nest in one of the pots on my deck. Naturally, Sophie has find it! Thankfully, Sophie put the baby down as soon as I told her to. I shove her inside. The baby is lying completely still on its side. I am think--OMG it's dead! It looks like a *Censored Word* long earred tailless rat. It's so young it's eyes aren't open yet. I carefully stoke a finger tip down its back. There are no obvious wounds. It raises its head, stretches and then curls into a ball. I carefully lift it by the nape of its neck and settle it back down in its nest. Unfortunately, the pot is to big to move outside the fence. I now have it blockaded so Sophie can't get to it, but the dumb momma rabbit can. I know it is just natural for Sophie to want to get to them, but ACKKKK!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ACK! Or Why are Rabbits so dumb?

Post by CoraP. »

We had a boxer mix that dug up a rabbit nest one time when I was growing up. We tried to raise 3 of the babies, but they didn't make it. Hopefully Sophie won't get anymore. Rabbits grow pretty quickly, so hopefully they won't be around too long!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

Nikita Likes to eat the rabbits, and swallow them whole - It's so disgusting. Rabbits are dumb, why would they keep coming into the yard if they know they are going to be hunted. There aren't as many in the back yard, so maybe it's new ones getting in. I haven't seen her catch one in a while, but she loves, loves, loves to chase them.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Last summer we had a rabbit make her nest in our back yard. She was smart in that she made it in the fenced in pool area but dumb in that once the babies started hopping around they fell in the pool :( I found many dead baby rabbits in the pool. Holden tried tearing the fence down to get at the mama, so I had to be very careful whenever I let him outside. We had the pool filled in last fall, so I don't have to worry about that this year thankfully. Just the occasional bird that Holden may get ahold of. He's quite proud of himself you know! And always tried to catch the birds on our walks. Oh and I can't forget the squirrels. Though I think they finally gave up on our yard. Even though we have a squirrel feeder to lure them in for Holden's delight!
ImageImageImage