General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Chow Owner!

Post by chowmane »

Hello All!

I am new to this forum and also a new owner of a chow chow. I actually just registered right now. :D

I have a lot to learn about chow chows. So please, if anyone has any tips and tricks, it would help me out a lot. :)

I will be visiting and posting on this forum for I am very interested in our dogs (chow chows).

I heard you have to wait until they're 8 weeks old until you can give them their first shot. Mine is 6 weeks old. Should I wait or it's ok?

I will have similar questions like these in the future until I learn from all of you on how to take care of chow chows.

Thanks!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome! My first suggestion would be to peruse through the back posts. There are many, many wonderful insights to the Chow Chow. Also- use the search engine and type in vets, or finding a vet, and see what that brings. Finding a good vet is very important, because they can help with the whens and why fors of your puppy's health. Second, type in grooming, because you will need to be familiar with things like correct grooming tools, and avoiding hotspots (sore spots on the skin caused by different things, including incorrect grooming). Finally, your new puppy will be smart and willful, and act differently than most other breeds you have ever encountered, affection wise. You will be able to tell by the postings that we are a diverse group when it comes to training our chowdren. Basic skills really are a must- things like sit and leave it. How far you go from there is up to you. For sure finally, your puppy will need to learn how to relate to it's environment. Socializing your puppy- taking it out to meet other people and dogs during this crucial developmental stage will teach him how to act around others.

What are the particulars about your puppy? As you will see when you look around, we love photos, so if you can, post a photo of your chowling. I put some posting instructions under General Requests (I think that's where it is...) if you want to try!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello and welcome and yes we love pictures and information.

Is your chowling a boy or a girl, black, red, cream, blue, cinnamon.

What have you called him/her.

We just gotta know!! :roll: :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Welcome to the boards. The best advice I can give you is do your research here. In the 6 months I have been here, I have learned so very much. There is a wealth of information here at your disposal. You'll never find a better resource for information than right here. There is alot of chow chow experience here and everyone is always willing to help. Like Auddymay said, we may not always agree on certain aspects of chow rearing and being owned by a chow, but everyone here adores their chows and the breed itself.
You've also joined at a very good time. There are alot of brand new chowlings on the site and also a couple more chowlings who will be joining in the next week to a month (their new servants are just waiting for them to get bigger to come home to their new kingdoms). I am mommy to 8-9 month old King Koda, my male cinnamon chow, and also new mommy to 9 week old Miss Molly Hannah, my female cream chowling who got me as her servant 2 weeks ago. Jeri has her new chowling Kaspur (cream male) who is one day older than my Miss Molly, Susi will be getting her new male black chowling (we're still waiting for a name :) ) in a week or so and Tovya will be getting her new black baby girl chowling. Magda in June. There may even be more chowlings that I have forgotten. So there will be lots and lots of questions, help and suggestions for you and your new baby.
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Welcome to the forum. I just joined in March right after we were aquired by Special Dark, our black approx. 1.5 year old chow. We're also still definetely learning and everyone here has been so extremely helpful and kind. Can't wait to hear the answers to all the q's that Judy posted! :D
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Welcome!! I agree that you should start by flipping through the old threads. You will see many opinions but one common theme: we all love our breed.

You say that your chowling is 6 weeks old. Where are you located? In the states, you can take the pup to the vet and they will put you on a vaccination schedule.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmane »

Thank you very much for a very warm welcome! :D
My Chow Chow is a Male. Color is... CREAM.
6 Weeks old.
I will post up pictures as soon as I get some!
It hasen't gotten all its shots yet... :? People tell me get to get his shots when he is 8 weeks old... is that true?

Today, my chow chow bit me and I bled a little. I was trying to get him while he is trying to get into this really tiny place... but I guess he got scared when I tried to get him... so he bit me.

Should I be worries right now? I mean, the mouth isn't foaming... so I should be ok... would be great to hear from you guys! :lol: :lol:

I got lots to learn still... please bare with me if I am somehow not doing the right thing. I will learn as fast as I can. :(
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

At 6 weeks, I wouldn't worry about the bite, but you do need to be careful when you grab your pup. If he likes to bite during play, discourage this with a sharp gasp everytime he puts his teeth on you. And do not wrestle with him using your hand, or he will think he has every right to chew on it whenever he wants. Chows can and do try to take over as the head of the house, so don't allow him to get away with anything you don't want him doing. Everytime he gets away with something, he will try something else to see if that's okay too...it's cute at 7 ponds, not so cute at 70...Call a vet in your area and see what the protocal is for vaccines in your area. Does Mr. Creamy have a name yet?
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Yippee!!!!! Another cream chow. :) Can't wait to see pictures. I agree with Auddymay, do not let him get by now with anything you would not want him to be doing in the future. Molly tends to be a little skiddish at times when we try to pick her up and she has occassionally tried to bite and is shown that is not acceptable behavior. I guess because Koda was older when we got him, so I didn't see it (and I honestly don't remember with Sasha), it is now with Molly that I am seeing the "fear imprinting" that Kiwani talks about in 8-12 weeks old chowlings. Kiwani, if you read this, I'd sure like some more information on this. :roll:
Nancy and Tai

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Wow!! :shock:
Not to sound like a bitch or anything, but are you really suited to be a Chow Chow owner??
Why didn't you read more about the breed before you got a puppy?
And 6 weeks?!
The minimum age is 8 weeks, but it is adviced to wait until the puppy is 10 weeks old.
(If you found him or for other reasons rescued him, ignore what I wrote)

And now I will not come with any more comments about that, at least i'll try.
It's just that I only want the best for the Puppy.

And some advice I can give you:
- Don't punish your Chow, positive reinforcement
- Socialize him. That is extremly important.
- Don't let him experience anything negative
- If the Chow bites again, DON'T punish.
- Buy books about Chow Chows
- Let the puppy get used to be handled, it will make it a whole lot easier for you

And as always I will get the whole forum after me. :P

But Good luck with your puppy. :)
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

[quote="Auddymay"] Chows can and do try to take over as the head of the house, so don't allow him to get away with anything you don't want him doing. Everytime he gets away with something, he will try something else to see if that's okay too...[quote]

My question just had to come. :lol:
Why haven't my Chow taken over as the head of the house then?
I don't, as you all know by now, believe in rank between dogs and humans.
I think it is a myth, just like Pit bulls and Chows are born vicious.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Ya know, up until the last couple of weeks, I wasn't too sure about rank order, pack hierarchy, or whatever you want to call it. But after 2 weeks of Miss Molly being here, I do believe in it now. I have seen that little cream furball challenge the pack hierarchy more than once. I know everyone has their own opinions Taz, not everyone agrees with me either. :oops: But I just know I have really seen it start to play out at my house with Her Royal Highness.
Nancy and Tai

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Chowmane - congratulations on becoming a Chow parent but I am a bit concerned that he is only 6 weeks old...is this a special circumstance? You are his parent now and must help him immensely because of his young age.

:lol: I suppose this thread could run off into a slightly different tangent...Taz, I'm just thinking that the question of hierarchy is never questioned by anyone who already assumes that position...

Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. N
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Taz, you have trained Diego, and I'm POSITIVE you and your family stopped him from doing things that could be harmful or destructive when he was a puppy. He didn't accidently turn into a fine boy, you showed him the way. If you had left him to his own devices, he would not be a well behaved boy now.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Auddymay wrote:Taz, you have trained Diego, and I'm POSITIVE you and your family stopped him from doing things that could be harmful or destructive when he was a puppy. He didn't accidently turn into a fine boy, you showed him the way. If you had left him to his own devices, he would not be a well behaved boy now.
I trained him alone.
And he became å well behaved boy, with the clicker. :P
But there is ways to show him how to behave without thinking of rank.
No need to punish. :)

And Diego wasn't, weird enough, destructive.

But no more rank talk, I will keep my mouth shut. :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I never mentioned rank, either. I was impressing the importance of not letting a chowling run roughshod over the human. I think you read too much into it.
TigerTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TigerTiger »

I don't think any of us physically punish our chowdren in this site. But we do need to let them understand what behaviours are acceptable and what are not.

And Chowmane, welcome to joint the site and congrads on became a new chow servant. In regards to your shot's question, I am looking at Tiger's baby medical record. He was born July 02, the first set of shots he got was on Aug 20, they were: DH, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus and Coronavirus. And the next set of shots he got before I brough him home was on Sept 3, and they were: DH, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus. I am not sure what kind of vaccis that your chowling's breeder gave to him before they allowed you to take him home. So you need to check with them and check with your vet.
Purple kisses from Tiger xxxxxx

Karen, Pablo & Tiger
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Physically punish Koda? Yeah right. That would probably kill me as much if not worse than it would him. I don't even let anyone raise their voice to him, much less anything harsher. I figure he's gotten enough of that from his so called breeder. I have really learned alot about positive reinforcement here, and have found it works way better than scolding and punishing, even tho I do make mistakes.. It's a whole lot easier and less stressful for me and to him to say Good Boy Koda, as opposed to getting upset with him. But my kids do know who alpha is.
Nancy and Tai

Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Hi Chowmane
Welcome to the site and I am sure you will love it here.
Odessa and me are looking forward to seeing pictures of your little furball and geting to know him better thru your posts as, I'm sure, is everyone else on the site too.

Congratulation on being owned by a Chow

Mildred and Her Highness Odessa :lol:
chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmane »

Yay! Thank you everyone! You guys and gals are so great!
Kola (my chowling) loves to nibble/bite while playing. I got hime a couple of chew toys.

Any suggestions on how to make him stop nibbling/biting me/people?
I kno he is only playing around because he is still a pup. However, it would nice for him to recognize not to nibble/bite on people and ok only for the toy I get him.

Can't wait for your suggestions! Everyone here is a great help!
I just finish taking some pictures by the way. I will be posting up picture later tonite!

Thanks again all!! :D :D :D :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Chowmane,

The others have mentioned having your chowling so young at 6 weeks. Here on The Island, that is the absolute minimum age and we brought our Milly home when she was only six weeks old through special circumstances.

So you should be aware what a little baby Chow Chow you have and treat him accordingly. Make sure he has several small meals a day - four or five rather than one or two big ones.

Also, make sure he gets enough sleep and that when he goes to sleep, he has a box or somewhere where he can feel secure and make sure that he is not disturbed. You don't say if you have children. If you do, or you have children visiting, don't let them wake him up to play and cuddle him. He will need lots of sleep.

Regarding him biting, as has already been said, don't allow now what you don't want him to do when he is a full grown, strong chow.

If he nips you in playing, don't accept it. Say "No! Kola", Or "Pack it in, Kola" or "Aah! Kola" or whatever comes naturally to you. And stop the play. Then you can start the play again until he nips again. He will soon get the message. The important thing is - when he is doing these things - think grown Chow - and stop him straight in his tracks. These first few weeks are very, very important. Never hit him - Chows do not like being hit and I don't think any of us on this site discipline our chows by hitting them. They don't need it - they know well enough when you are cross even at Kola's young age. Consider how his mother would deal with him - if he nipped her, he would get growled at in her version of "No, you little bugger, you don't do that to me!!" :)

As for the incident when he did nip you, always make sure with voice and touch that you are behind him. Chows, because of their deep-set eyes and furrows, are not able to see to the side, only straight ahead so be careful. When he is grown, always make sure people do not come up without him knowing from behind - this is when nasty nips and so on occur.

Talk to him a lot. Chows are very intelligent and he will get to understand very quickly what you are saying to him. :roll:

Most of all, cherish these early weeks because they soon go and before you know where you are you will have a grown chow. For the moment though, remember he is a very small baby chow but with your care and attention and discipline, he will grow into a lovely grown boy. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmane »

Wow. Thank you very much! I will do so! I want to be a good Chow parent. Learning from everyone here is great!

He does get lots of sleep though.
I will not hit the pup wen diciplining him...
I will talk to my chow
I will do all these thing everyone suggested the best way I can!
I will do my best to become a good Chow Parent.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

It's pretty easy to be a good chow parent if you want to be. It isn't hard to love these wonderful creatures. They don't need to be hit... they learn in a more positive way. Be there to cuddle Kola, but be prepared that he will cuddle when HE wants to cuddle. Chows are independant. Give him the space that he needs and be prepared to never be alone, for they long to be near their humans. If your chow learns who truly is alpha, you will have a more relaxed relationship, he won't feel the need to take the lead, he will rest in your leadership and you will be more relaxed with him because there will be no fear. There is nothing any better than the love and devotion of your chow kid. I got to come home from work this evening and had all of the purple kisses and loving that anyone could ever ask for. :)
Nancy and Tai

Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeri »

Nancy, you are lucky... Saydee usually will not give me kisses... She runs and greets me, but never no kisses... I can probably count on one hand the number of times that she has in the last year....

Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeri »

Nancy, you are lucky... Saydee usually will not give me kisses... She runs and greets me, but never no kisses... I can probably count on one hand the number of times that she has in the last year....

Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur