Help!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help!

Post by MybabyBear »

Alright-
Most you were all very helpful to me when my baby Bear got sick a few years ago. I appreciate your help. I need to ask another favor.
As most of you know, I now have a Cairn Terrier named Toto. He's about 2 years old. He doesn't replace Bear, but he's my baby.
Toto got sick today. He's thrown up 3 times today, and it's not like an indigestion barf- it's a liquid barf. He threw up about 15 minutes ago. It was a redish color and he threw up a good solid chunk of something, (looked to be the size of a quarter).
He's walking around with his tail in between his legs and his muscles are shaking.
He's usually a hyper dog- hyper like an spring. He jumps all over and must be the center of attention. However, today he's lying in odd places, won't lay in my lap, and just doesn't want anything to do with anyone.
I really need any help I can get. Thanks.
-Stephanie
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Help!

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You might want to call a vet, red usually means blood, throwing up a large object could mean anything, most likely not good, that on top of some bloat symptoms I would go to emergency, the object he threw up may have been the problem and It may not be serious but you never know.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I would go to the emergency vet too just to be on the safe side.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Thank you for the responses-
You have to love parents. They are taking him TOMORROW and I'd take him myself but the nearest emergency vet is 45 minutes away. It's about -7 degrees out, and I don't know how well he'd handle it. I don't know what to do.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

MybabyBear wrote:You have to love parents.
Someone also has to love this dog, and be his voice, his advocate, when he's in pain.
socialwork555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socialwork555 »

Food poisoning? That sounds scary! Let us know how the visit goes.......

Christine
Christine and Paz

MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MybabyBear »

Hi all-
Toto got better after we took him outside. He had a fever and it went down.
This morning, he was back to his old self. Still took him to the vet. She said to keep an eye on him because she couldn't find anything and to call her if it happens again.
Thank you all!
-Stephanie
Kris L. Christine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kris L. Christine »

Our Butter ate something in the field last fall and ended up with terrible diarrhea and for 2 days couldn't stand up well or use his back legs much (scary). Apparently, the bad bacteria was producing toxins that affected his neurological system. After a week, he was back to his spunky, normal self. He's 4 years old.

Kris
Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
http://www.RabiesChallengeFund.org