How do you find a "Chow" Groomer?!?!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

How do you find a "Chow" Groomer?!?!

Post by Jeri »

I took everyone's advice and went out and bought a new "overall" grooming brush for Saydee Jo and she still hates it... Kaspur, right now, will lay down and let me brush him... I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to find a good groomer for a chow... I live in a rural area and have nothing around me... Has anyone ever used the groomers at Petsmart?!?! I do have one of those stores within a 1 1/2 hour drive... I just know that I need help when it comes to brushing with Saydee...

Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I use the groomers at my local PetSmart. They are wonderful. They love my chows and do many, many chows. One of the master groomers is a chow owner and the Manager of the grooming dept. use to groom all (but now it's just sometimes) doggies that went out for mobile adoption days with our county humane society. I recommend you should first go without your chow and interview them and then use your instincts. You might even want to ask if they've groomed chows and if you can call a couple of chow owners for reference. You must be very specific with groomers and put things in writing that you don't want done or you do want done so that there are no mistakes and misunderstandings (i.e. no shaving, no lion cuts without calling first, hates water and will make a big fuss, good with woman groomers and fussy with male groomers, etc...). I also ask and pay for extra brushing (extra 15 minutes). Also make sure they do not administer tranquilizers to their clients. If they do, make sure you put in your records that that is not acceptable. I read somewhere years (years and probably a lawsuit) ago a little doggie was put on a tranquilizer and it was fatal.

Every PetSmart grooming dept differs and I have been very happy with my PetSmart groomers. We also have private groomers, but I like my PetSmart groomers better. Good Luck!
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Hi Jeri
I've never tried Petsmart so can't comment on them. However I do recall someone on saying their Chow does not like Petsmart at all. Again, like Lou metioned, all the stores will be different to check with others if you can before you go.
We used to send Odessa to the groomer who visited at our Vet's but Odessa hated him :evil: and would always come back with a remarks on the bill that she was bad and at times would not allow the guy to groom her properly either. I think that was because they used like an assembly line approach, dogs lined up, all were washed, then dried, groomed in line, etc.
Anyway now I have found an excellent groomer couple who come home with their van and groom Odessa. I call them twice a year after Odessa sheds so that she gets the works, bath, blow dry, nails, ears, grooming, etc all done in the comfort of our driveway in their van. But they only service Brampton and Mississauga areas in Ontario Canada.
I suggest you ask around as I found this couple through a colleague at work. Odessa loves them, goes to the lady immediately and comes home and hour and half later looking and smelling fantastic.
I also try grooming Odessa at home, at times she will stay but at times she will just refuse to allow me. I use a long toothed comb which I find excellent. Maybe try just brushing with your hand and gently pulling off some loose fur till Sayde starts to stay and gradually reintroduce the brush, just a suggestion as I am no expert on this.

Mildred
Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeri »

Where I am located, Chows are not really common and most people are nervous around them.... I haven't approached my vet's groomer because I don't think he really handles alot of chows... Most of the time, Saydee is real nervous around strangers and she drops her tail between her legs... When she was a puppy I took her to alot of different places so she would be more outgoing, but I guess it didn't work... She definetely handles herself better in her own territory... I wish that we had a local groomer around here like you have Mildred... That would solve alot of my problems... Guess all I can do is keep trying myself and keep looking for a regular groomer....

Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Jeri...
I know it's hard to find groomers in our part of the world. LOL Check the yellow pages in the phone book, also ask your vet to see if he knows of someone he would recommend. I do all of Koda's grooming myself... jus because he is the way he is around people he doesn't know. But admitedly, I do need to get him to a groomer just to get him at least introduced to the idea of someone else grooming him. Just make sure if you go to visit or when you call, to ask them all the questions that were mentioned in the other posts. I am really finding that if you don't put your foot down, people won't do your baby the right way.
Nancy and Tai

Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

Mika liked her first visit to a groomer, PetSmart! She went in for the puppy package and they said she was great for them, granted she's pretty good for anyone that is not me or her Dad! Ha ha ha (Isn't that typical with children too? Ha ha)

Mika does not like to have her bottom or ruff brushed but we have figured out that she just LOVES those long, fat rawhide sticks...so we give her a stick to chew and she will let us do anything! What a good girl....

:)
Sarah
Jeri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jeri »

I made a call to the local Petsmart, (Evansville IN), and the lady on the phone told me that she have quite few chows that they handle.... She would not give me any names as references though.... I am planning on going down there this weekend to check them out.... I think that I will leave my name & number so they can give it to the other Chow Mommies and have them to call me.... I know that Saydee will be a handful but hopefully I will start Kaspur early enough and he will handle the experience... Saydee is only one year old, surely I am not to late to introduce her to this experience, am I?!?!?

Jeri, Saydee & Kaspur
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeri wrote:Saydee is only one year old, surely I am not to late to introduce her to this experience, am I?!?!?
My opinion: It's never too late.

I adopted Pooh Bear a couple of years ago and they estimated her at age 8/9. I took her to the groomers right after I picked her up from the Humane Society. I don't know if she ever had history at a groomers, but she did extremely well. Cute story is she (PB) had just picked out her name and her groomer kept repeating PB's name to make sure she (PB) liked the name she (PB) picked out for herself enroute to the groomers. The shelter named her "Claire". PB didn't like it. Anyways, I digressed, point is if an 8-9 year old rescue can be introduced to the groomers (or as we like to call it "spa"), I'm sure Saydee will be fine. Just as long as she's not bullied into the experience.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

At our house, we call it 'a day of beauty'.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

I will never send Nanuk to petsmart again. He used to be a regular at petco and we decied to follow our groomer when she changed jobs and went to petsmart. They had a hayday with the shears and said there was nothing I could do cause my husband signed the release. I was devistated! I later found out that petsmart works by the hour unlike petco who works on commision. Just knowing that the people who work for commision will just naturally do a better job.

Ever sence the bad hair cut I have been grooming Nanuk myself and he is alot more ill at ease with me pampering him :D Still waiting for his fur to grow back :cry:

Good luck on the groomer but you will be the best one!
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Mr. N had his first grooming experience when he was 11 months old. He did not like it and he was definitely a challenge for the groomer. This is a professional groomer with her own shop. She has show poodles and has groomed many dogs, cats, and rabbits for show. After the first visit, I figured she would ask me to not bring him back but after I put Mr. N in the truck and went back to pay the bill - there she was with her appointment book - ready to make the next appointment, telling me that we needed to keep him on a regular schedule to keep him from matting so much....(the first visit took 3 hours). Mr. N has an appointment tomorrow morning. He's not as horrible as the first visit but I still need to be there during the entire grooming period. I also do the grooming of the front of his mane.
The groomer and I use a rake with rotating teeth, a comb with rotating teeth, and a brush. (I say we because I have my own set that I use on Mr. N a couple of times a week and I bring them with me for his appointments.)
Grooming is very important - whether you do it or have it done professionally. They tend to mat easily and they need to be removed as they can become really bad for their skin.)

Karen. Shiloh, and Mr. N

PS - Shiloh has been to the groomers once - she said I've been doing a good job and she doesn't need to be professionally groomed.
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I will never take Coco back to the groomers at Petsmart again... Coco did not like it there at all, and I have spent the last 4 months trying to get Coco so he isn't so afraid of people since that experience... He is just finally coming around and will now aproach some people... I am going to call a mobile dog groomer to come and look after Coco from now on and even then I will only let them do it if I can stay with him.