Chow quirk?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow quirk?

Post by Cara&Haley »

My Haley likes sweep things with her nose. Whatever's on the floor, bed, couch she'll sweep them together with her nose. As I type she is sweeping the cow marrow bone towards the computer cord and making squeaky sounds that makes my skin crawl. It doesn't seem to hurt her nose.
Does anyone's Chow do this?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow quirk?

Post by Dogdad »

The only time I have seen it is in the snow, both Maxwell and Yoshi do this. They both love having their snouts scratched so maybe that is what she is doing

Dogdad
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Special Dark does it when he is burrying something (like I'm sure he would if he ever got a marrow bone like you described :D ). He'll scoot things along like he's moving dirt to cover something. He does it on the futon, the bed, and his bed.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
casmonkey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by casmonkey »

Fannie does the same thing too!

Moreso when she was younger, she loved to mess around in the dirt in the backyard. Whenever we came home from school she had clumps of dirt still stuck to her nose, even though she was laying on the couch pretending she hadn't been digging up the backyard all day long. :D

I <3 My Fannie Girl! :)

Proud Chow Owner for 11 Years.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My first chow Luna was not a digger. She used her nose to bury treasures, some toys, some old beef bones, piggy ears. She'd carry all this stuff out into the yard and then bury it in different areas. I was forever cleaning the dirt, soil out of her nose. She also used her snout to open doors. Tough dog this one was. My new chow Mikki doesn't do any of these things.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

midnightstars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by midnightstars »

My chow Star use to do this in the house it seemed like she was trying to hide it in plain site on the floor but she would keep rubbing her snoot into the floor like she was covering it up. She would do the same thing on my bed I would find things under my pillow or wrapped in the blankets she even use to grab the blanket with her mouth and cover the treat. She did this all the time from a puppy to her senior years.
Sandi

STAR YOUR FOREVER IN MY HEART
3/20/93 - 2/1/07
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy doesn't do this... :lol: Of course she's one to run around outside but NOPE she hates getting dirty. :roll: But she used to do something close to what you're describing. She used to play soccer with me. She'd roll the ball around with me all day but of course that ended a long time ago. :?

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Vic-O
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vic-O »

Funny you mention Mikki opening doors with her nose. I have been assuming Hudson was using her paws.
We came home the other day after being gone all of 2 hours with Hudson left in the backyard to play. To our surprise she was sitting on the front porch chair oh so excited to see us. I noticed that every door had muddy paw scuffs all up and down the inner side. I went out back to see if she hud dug under or jumped over the fence and low and behold, the gate was wide open. Did I mention the Front door was wide open too? So, assuming (stupidly considering she managed to open a ROUND doorknob) I didn't latch the gate well the last time, I put her out back for another couple of hours the next day. Come home, same scenario. My freshly washed doors covered with Muddy paws prints only this time the side door was wide open. We've since bungied the gate closed when we leave until we can figure out something more permanent (like bringing her with us everywhere.....).
I'm just glad she was so anxious to see us that she decided to try to find us inside and then wait on the porch instead of romping through the neighborhood.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Vic-O wrote:Funny you mention Mikki opening doors with her nose. I have been assuming Hudson was using her paws.
We came home the other day after being gone all of 2 hours with Hudson left in the backyard to play. To our surprise she was sitting on the front porch chair oh so excited to see us. I noticed that every door had muddy paw scuffs all up and down the inner side. I went out back to see if she hud dug under or jumped over the fence and low and behold, the gate was wide open. Did I mention the Front door was wide open too? So, assuming (stupidly considering she managed to open a ROUND doorknob) I didn't latch the gate well the last time, I put her out back for another couple of hours the next day. Come home, same scenario. My freshly washed doors covered with Muddy paws prints only this time the side door was wide open. We've since bungied the gate closed when we leave until we can figure out something more permanent (like bringing her with us everywhere.....).
I'm just glad she was so anxious to see us that she decided to try to find us inside and then wait on the porch instead of romping through the neighborhood.
What a good girl! Holden would have been long gone. Although, there was one time where the neighbor kids unleashed him and he was loose for who knows how long. He eventually came back home on his own. I wonder how often he would do that...
ImageImageImage
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I don't know what type of gate you have. We have a plain old chainlink fence. We had the same problem with one of our dogs. We used a caribeanner to put in the little hole on the gate latch where its actually attached to the fence part. I'm horrible at descriptions so I don't know how helpful that is. It keeps them from being able to open the gate.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!