AWOL IN A NEW HOME

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowsrule
Rank 0
Rank 0

AWOL IN A NEW HOME

Post by Chowsrule »

Well, as much as I absolutely hated to, I had to find a new home for AWOL. By accident, he & Asa got together early one morning and I (half-asleep at the time) stepped in to seperate them. AWOL was outside and I thought the door was closed as I was dragging Asa downstairs. However, AWOL got in & instead of biting Asa's leg, he actually latched onto my foot! He didn't want to let go either! I finally got him off and then had to call a friend to come get me & take me to the ER. Two days in the hospital and 16 stitches convinced me it wasn't fair to any of my dogs to keep things as they were. I was fortunate to find somebody who seems to love AWOL as much as i do and whom AWOL loves too. Best of all, she says I'm his 1st Mommy and can see him anytime I want! I saw him Christmas eve and he was so happy to see me, jumping & yipping and high fiving me. The only sad thing was as I was leaving, he thought he was coming with me. Now THAT about broke my heart. I'm just glad he's happy, in a home where he's the only dog and is loved to pieces. But I still miss my little guy!

Sorry for the rambling. I just wanted to let ya'll know AWOL's new status.
Kristie
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I'm sorry to here you had to rehome him but I am glad you were able to find him a loving home where you can still visit if you want and keep tabs on him.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Me too, You must be heart broken but at least you took the time to find him a new home and didn't just get angry and dump him in a shelter.
dogdad
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

What a terrible experience.
Glad you can see him.
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I'm so sorry to hear about you being bitten :cry: But am glad to hear you found him a good home where you can still see him. Since my girls have been fighting lately I can understand what a difficult heartbreaking discision that is to have to make. You did the right thing for AWOL....HUGS

Thanks Sweetpea!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwww how heart wrenching for you. I know what it is like to live in a 'house divided' and it is no picnic for anyone. I am glad you were fortunate enough to find someone you know to give AWOL a good home. I do wonder about visiting him right now though...if that is too confusing for him or if it is a good thing. Maybe someone else will know what's best.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Asa and Awol have been at each other from nearly the beginning, if I recall correctly. Add Asti to the mix, and I take my hat off to managing as long as you have. If they don't get along now, they never will. Heartbreaking as it is, you did what is best. I don't know if I could visit though, because of just what happened when you left. It is always a crapshoot when adding a new Chow, or any new animal, to the mix.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I know how hard that can be. I only had Java a week & I was heartbroken to have to give him back to his foster mom. I left it a good while but see him now. He & Millie get along fine now as well.... I'm lucky to see him still & I'll take that over not seeing him any day :?
Thank you Elodie!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Sorry to hear it didn't work out with AWOL but glad he's in a good home now...just wondering about visiting him - does that make him sad when you leave? I just remember what Sandy posted about Lakota getting depressed when her former owners visited and then left again. I don't want to sound mean, but maybe AWOL would be able to adjust to his new parents faster without thinking you will be back to take him home.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh