Loss and Chow Chow reputation

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Loss and Chow Chow reputation

Post by wokman »

Sunday I adopted a Cream eleven year old Female Chow Chow from a No Kill Shelter. I was told she had too go to their Animal Clinic for a few vacinations. I had only visited the Dog three times and walked her the last two times.
She seemed to have a great low key temperament and was in with another Senior dog of another more active Breed.
On the last walking visit Zoey was introduced to her without any problems; the two of them sniffed all around occasionally looking at each other. Monday I experienced an increasing reluctance through the day to officially adopt the Cream Chow Chow. I almost decided not to go and call the adoption off, but then relented and went to get her at the Clinic. I Questioned the Vet. Tech. about a few things on the complete and recent blood test, but was told the Doctor was busy and I could make an appointment for another day. I was then told she had Arthritis and was currently on medication for it. I took her outside and walked her around the Clinic several times then up to the car to put her in. She sat down the first time I reached for her. She then walked around to face the open back of the car and seemed eager to get in. I pet her on the chest and went to lift her up, she immediately yelped and the next thing I knew I was standing facing her with blood dripping from the side of my face. I took her back in the Clinic and the Vet Tech called an ambulance for me. I knew it was the end for her and I realized then her arthritis was severe. The Vet Tech told me she would go to Animal Control for a few days and then be P.T.S.. :shock:
The Shelter never said anything about her Arthritis and clearly just wanted to make their quota of Pets adopted for that week. I should have listened to the alarms going off in my head. Even if I had put a harness on her and lifted her up by the harness first with one hand on her rear she still would have yelped and getting her out of the crate may have been worse. I would like to think I freed her of her suffering and saved someone else from maybe even worse injury then I sustained. R.I.P. little lost sole you were the victim of a conspiracy and I was duped into being one of the conspirators. The rainbow shines again, too soon. [-o|
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Loss and Chow Chow reputation

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Oh no. That is so sad. I am sorry you were bitten and hope you are ok. Of course she was in pain. They should have given you a lot more information. They make ramps for older arthritic dogs to get in and out of the car. She just met you, of course she wasn't going to trust you especially while she was in pain. Some chows no matter how long they ave known you don't want to be picked up. Another thing I do with all the foster Chows I pick up (since I don't know them or their temperment) is to bring the crate out of the car and put them in it on the ground and then 2 of us lift the crate into the car with the chow already in it. When we get home we lift the crate out and then let them out. I am so sorry for the poor chow and for you. You were trying to do a really good thing and it went terribly wrong. Run free sweet girl.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

I hope your face is healing well Wokman. It is sad how things happen in this universe. Your intentions were in the right place and I am sure the cream chow knew that. Keep your heart open for another rescue...Abby and the cream chow are forever grateful to you.
Hugs and purple kisses.
Jennifer & Sheena
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Thanks for the advice Boogie and Linda for moving
Chows Chows unfamiliar to an Adopter.
It is upsetting to think this Chow Chow will die
because of my inexperience. I handled this Chow Chow
the same way I handled my four other Rescues of
which only Zoey remains. Today I went to the Veterinarian
to get a leash; the Vet talked to me but was only concerned
with me and never expressed any remorse for the Chow Chow.
The Vet said they had no trouble handling the Dog, yet I heard
the Chow Chow yelp several times in the Animal Hospital while
I waited for the Ambulance they called for me.
The Human Doctor said the marks on my face were not consistent
with a Dog bite. I now realize the Chow Chow had probably turned
it's open mouth into the side of my face with enough force to break
the skin probably because of the pain it felt from being picked up.
I also went to the Shelter and was told by the person I spoke with the
first time I went to see the Chow Chow, they claimed they had told me
about the Arthritis, I repeated to this Person what they told me which did
not include anything about Arthritis. I will contact the Chow Chow Rescue
which I was approved to adopt one of their Chow Chows.
I will tell them what had happened here so they can reevaluate me to Adopt
a Chow Chow. I had decided to help a local Chow Chow instead of an out of
State Chow Chow which had been tested and approved for Adoption by People
familiar with the Breed.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Thanks for the encouragement Juniper to not give up and sympathy for the two unfortunate
Chows Chows who passed on, they are running; free of pain forever.
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

My heart goes out to both of you; I'm sure the Chow knew you were helping her. Blessings to both.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I think you did the best you could with the information you were given. I actually feel the vet (and of course the previous owner who abandoned their hurt 11 year old chow) should be the ones feeling terrible. I didnt mean to infer that you were responsible for the outcome beacause you are not. Adopting an 11 year old Chow even in good condition is not something a lot of people would consider. The fact that you were willing to help her especially after going thru your own recent loss means even more and the outcome that much more heartbreaking. I hope you decide to continue to try and help the Chows.