Leo and Max ... annual visit

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Leo and Max ... annual visit

Post by cherriemater »

Leo and Max had their annual visit today. Max weighs in at 61.9 pounds and Leo is a mere 51.3. Pretty good progress, I'd say. (For those of you not familiar with "the boys" there are now 17 months old ... wow!) Their last weigh-in last May (after final shots) they were apart by only eight pounds and now only 10. They both did well with their blood draw for heartworm, which was negative, the nose squirt for ??Parvo?? and the two injections for distemper and bordatella. Good boy Leo ... Good boy Max!! We're so proud of you, both!!!

They were pretty well behaved, though Leo chuffed at the kids in the waiting room. They did, however, mark EVERYWHERE! We couldn't catch them fast enough. Poor Max was so terrified of the scale he squatted right there and left his mark. After Leo's next leg-lift we were totally on-guard ... however they both marked on the way out ... must have been saying, "Take that!" Oh well ... it was a learning experience for all of us. No matter how long I walked them beforehand (an hour romp at the park which totally wore me out) and getting them to pee BEFORE we entered the building ... they did their thing. The girls were very nice, however, at check out and mentioned that they were very well-behaved boys and didn't do nearly as much as most. "Boys are gonna mark," is what one said.

So happy with their great check-up. Our vet also gave me a brochure on bringing a new baby in the house. More research for Momma!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Leo and Max ... annual visit

Post by Rory's Dad »

It's true...boys are going to mark. We try to never let Rory stand next to an outside corner when inside in a strange spot. Of course, we cant sense it 100%, but try to keep the leash tight and be ready to jerk them away from anything the can be perceived as a post.

You can get them to go 100 times outside, but they always seem to have a reserve...amazed me they had anything left the 1st couple of times.

It does truly seem that they expect it, most recent comments to us was 'lots of smells in here, we have mops, and that's why no carpets'.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Leo and Max ... annual visit

Post by cherriemater »

Exactly! It was a good learning experience as the boys have not visited any of our families homes yet. We now know that they won't be able to be left alone indoors so we'll have to plan our trips during warm weather. It also taught us HOW to be vigilant. I love your comment about "corners." I did indeed remember that they were more prone to sidle up to a corner and be sneaky with me on the other side, than just lift at the side of a wall.

I'm sure not matter how much spray cleanser they use, the pups can still smell other doggies. All in all, though, it wasn't too bad of a trip and I always like to think about the lessons I've learned rather than any type of failure. Thanks so much for your comment!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)