Pit Bulls Save Woman from Chow?!!

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Marjorie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pit Bulls Save Woman from Chow?!!

Post by Marjorie »

I just read this story on the MSN homepage and had to share. I'm more inclined to believe the Pit Bulls were intent on attacking the Chow more so than rescuing the woman but here is the story:

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Two dogs whose breed has a reputation for being mean played the roles of rescuers for a woman who was being attacked by another dog.

A red chow was on top of Angie Pecoraro, 22, in her yard on Monday when two pit bulls jumped over a fence and fought off the chow, Nebraska Humane Society spokeswoman Pam Wiese said.

Witnesses said the chow had bitten Pecoraro several times on her hands, arms and stomach, Wiese said.

An ambulance took Pecoraro to a hospital, where she was treated and released, Wiese said.

The Humane Society impounded the chow, and its owner was ticketed for not having the dog restrained and for harbouring a dangerous animal. It will be quarantined to make sure it doesn't have rabies, Wiese said.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Pit Bulls Save Woman from Chow?!!

Post by Victory »

You know I've read a similar story before--several times before, I'm beginning to think this is an urban myth. It's always two pits, go after the chow to save the woman, only the name of the woman and where the chow is changes. And yeah, I tend to think the pits, (if the story is true) are going after the chow, not trying to save anybody. There are two things that bother me about this story, 1) why was the chow attacking the woman in her yard, that is not normal chow behavior; chows attack for a reason, not because they see someone and just go after them, and 2) if the chow had truly attacked this woman she would not have been treated for her wounds and released, she'd still be hospitalized.

I don't buy this story and I'm afraid I'd have to have been a witness myself before I would believe it at this point.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I agree with Victory. I don't believe this story at all.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

This story was posted on this site in 2005. http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93

The pit bulls were hers and did not jump a fence to help her.

Here is a link to more on the story from TV channel 6, I found it with a Google search: http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/1462512.html

And here is the content from that link:
Angie Pecoraro is recovering from a dog attack. Witnesses say that attack could have be much worse if Ms. Pecoraro's pit bulls had not come to her rescue.

Angie was covered with puncture wounds, swelling, and bruises Monday night.

Hours earlier she went to retrieve her garbage can and spotted a chow that she says tore into her leg, knocking her to the ground.

"Then he got a hold of this hand and was just tugging it back and forth," she says. "I just remember screaming for my life. I'm lucky he didn't bite me on the neck or anything when I was on the ground."

That's when Rosie and Rocky showed up. The pit bulls belong to Angie and her boyfriend Geoff Griffin.

The pit bulls were in the back yard when the attack started but they didn't stay there for long.

Angie says, "Their first instinct was they saw me in danger and they were protecting me. If it wasn't for them, I don't know. I'm just glad that they were there."

Especially considering what Griffin tells us about the chow. He says he previously saw it attack another dog.

"The chow was not being taken care of and should not have been running loose," he says. I've heard three reports of it running loose within the past six months."

The chow's owner who says he has a hard time believing his dog would just attack.

The owner is now facing responsibility for Pecoraro's medical bills and he'll have to go to court, to face a charge of harboring a dangerous animal.

Remember, this story is from 2005!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Thanks for posting a link to the 2005 thread, Jeff. The mods are choosing to lock this thread. This might have been opened by a troll. We find it interesting that "Marjorie's" opening remarks are verbatim to "Roxana's".

This Thread -
Marjorie wrote:I just read this story on the MSN homepage and had to share. I'm more inclined to believe the Pit Bulls were intent on attacking the Chow more so than rescuing the woman but here is the story:
2005 Thread -
Roxana wrote:I just read this story on the MSN homepage and had to share. I'm more inclined to believe the Pit Bulls were intent on attacking the Chow more so than rescuing the woman but here is the story: