Am I...?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Am I...?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Am I a bad person for having already decided so soon after I had to put Tippsy to sleep, that I DO want to get another chow after a little while?

I know I'll NEVER be able to replace Tip, but I want another purebred chow walking around(we all know I LOVE my mixes, but there's no comparison to a purebred chow). But I kinda feel like I betraying her somehow deciding this so soon...?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Am I...?

Post by Loha'sDad »

To the contrary, that is a sign of mature acceptance of the facts. Tippsy wants , more than anything, for you to lead a long, healthy life. If another Chow Chow is a part of that, then she is all in favor of it.

Loha's Dad
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

No, you're not a bad person! But don't rush things "just" to ease the pain! Look for the right Chow for you and your human and canine family. Factor in the a-hole Yorkie :D and take the time you need to find a Chow that is the right fit for all of you. And of course, if you can, save a life!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank you both! I'm not rushing to get another chow, it'll be a while before I'll be bringing another one home. I'd LOVE to adopt a puppy/young chow, but I think my mom's leaning towards going to a reputable breeder.
Jess
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Of course you are not a bad person.

We started to look for another chow when Milly Ching died and we are glad we did.

I am sure that Tippsy would want you to love another chow chow as you have loved her and she will look down on you from The Happy Hunting Grounds and smile that beautiful chow smile when the time comes for you to get your chow. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank you Judy! :)
Jess
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Of course you are not a bad person jess. It's great that you can make this decision. Don't think that you are relplacing her because you're not, and you're certainly not a bad person. Good luck in getting a new chowling, I look forward to hearing stories of a new chowling running around :D good luck mate. Just make sure to take your time and be certain that you really are ready.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Jess, I think it just shows how big your heart is. The right one will come along at the right time though, don't go searching xx
Thank you Sweatpea
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank y'all. I'm definitely taking my time and I'm not looking right now. But I do know that I would like to have either a blue, black, or cream female. I would rather not have another red yet. But who knows, Tippsy could just guide me to another red. :)
Jess
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

When I lost my chinabear after 16 years I put her in the ground behind the house with a St Francis statue overlooking her. I waited about 3 months and missed her so much that I contacted chow breeders all over the southeast looking for another black female. One called me that she had a show puppy 7 months old that I had to see. Do you know what love is at first sight? Thats my Maggie May, fresh, independant, affectionate, aloof without a mean bone in her body.Go and find another just like the one you lost, it makes life easier.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jess, I found Maxine, the night Maxwell died. I think you know how much I love him. People deal with death and grief in different ways. Getting Maxine in no way has diminished my love for him, he is still in my daily thoughts but I still had more love to give and so do you.

David

P.s Are you ok from the tornados this week?

David
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

jess
You'll know in your heart what is right for you.. It could be tomorrow or it could be down the road. You are not replacing Tippsy.. Tippsy has alreadly made her( paw )impression on your heart that you will never forget. You are just able to open up your heart and make room for more..
take care
purple kisses from Nikki
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Michael's Maggie May wrote:When I lost my chinabear after 16 years I put her in the ground behind the house with a St Francis statue overlooking her. I waited about 3 months and missed her so much that I contacted chow breeders all over the southeast looking for another black female. One called me that she had a show puppy 7 months old that I had to see. Do you know what love is at first sight? Thats my Maggie May, fresh, independant, affectionate, aloof without a mean bone in her body.Go and find another just like the one you lost, it makes life easier.
I'm glad you were able to find your new girl, but I just don't think I could handle having another just like Tippsy. Dixie already acts a lot like Tippsy did and it makes me smile but it also brings a tear to my eye.
Dogdad wrote:Jess, I found Maxine, the night Maxwell died. I think you know how much I love him. People deal with death and grief in different ways. Getting Maxine in no way has diminished my love for him, he is still in my daily thoughts but I still had more love to give and so do you.

David

P.s Are you ok from the tornados this week?

David
Thank you David. I do know how much you love him.

And we're fine. We got lucky, one came through our area, but it was far enough away from my house it didn't cause damage, and the damage is minimal in the entire area compared to everywhere else.

chowpups wrote:jess
You'll know in your heart what is right for you.. It could be tomorrow or it could be down the road. You are not replacing Tippsy.. Tippsy has alreadly made her( paw )impression on your heart that you will never forget. You are just able to open up your heart and make room for more..
take care
purple kisses from Nikki
Thank you Nancy. I've been really looking at the chows being rescued from down here, and I'd love to either foster or adopt one, but it just doesn't feel right right now, even though theres a 4 month old blue male who's caught my eye, but I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing another male into the house right now with how Jazz is. And there's a 2 year old cream female who's also caught my eye, but my mom doesn't feel comfortable bringing an older dog into the house with the chi and the yorkie... :?
Jess
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I can be difficult to know what to do.
When Milly died we started looking for a puppy straight away and found a breeder who had a litter due a few weeks later.
Fred kept saying I hope we can get a chow just like Milly and that worried me quite a bit. We went to see the litter when they were 6 weeks old and Fred was thrilled but I kept warning him not to pin his hopes on getting one just like Milly.
When we brought Matilda home a couple of weeks later she was gorgeous and Fred is thrilled with her - she is just like Milly - proper little "Snotty Totty" whereas Maisie is much sweeter and demonstratively more affectionate. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)