Daffodil Snuggles, Spay went fine. 3/11

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Daffodil Snuggles, Spay went fine. 3/11

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Email I received from HSCC: I can happily tell you that the rescue community has been wonderful already. Vetting is covered, and Daffodil Snuggles has a home to go to once she has recovered from her surgery.

3/11 12:00 Noon:
Spay went fine. NO pyometria. No dentistry was done, because it would have taken hours to get into the gumlines and remove portions of teeth that have been broken off. She has three mammary tumors, and the vet removed one to send off for assessment. She is doing fine, but still has lots facing her. Thanks for your support!

UPDATE 3/11: Thoughts and prayers on Daffodil Snuggles' behalf are in full bloom today. Her emergency spay surgery is scheduled today. It is high-risk because of her heartworm-positive status. We will keep you informed. Many, many thanks for the kindness of strangers--she is fully sponsored and is headed to a new home next weekend, March 19!

"She is heartworm positive and erlichia positive. She had hookworms and whipworms, which have been treatd. She has broken off several teeth from chewing, chewing, chewing on whatever she can get her mouth on, and has probably been doing this for years, and her gums are infected. She has no musculature on her left rear area, so we guess she either has hip problems or has blown out her knee at some point. She is terribly underweight and she needs both a dentistry and a spay immediately."

This is her web page: http://www.humanecampbell.org/animals/d ... ID=3239209

Image Image
Last edited by Jeff&Vicki on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Daffodil Snuggles, Spay went fine. 3/11

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Poor thing. That is awful. I am glad that she is being taken care of now. She must have had one heck of a life before being rescued. :cry:
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh...I hope this poor girl is doing better.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

My original post was looking for help with the Vet bills. Soon after my post they told me the bills were paid and she had a home to go to.
I changed my post to reflect that and will be updating her condition for anyone that has taken an interest in her.

Jeff

UPDATE from her new mommy, 3/24:
Hi all--we just got back from the vet. Daffodil weighed in at 35lb. Boo, who is smaller, weighs 48lbs. She was such a good girl for her check up. Got her sutures removed.

Long term prognosis? Eh, kinda sketchy. The Vet is more concerned about the heartworms than the cancer. We don't know does she have 10 worms, 50 worms, or 250. The HW treatment could kill her in her emaciated, anemic condition so we're going to go conservative and treat her with monthly Interceptor and hopefully breakdown the cycle. The risk is that dead worms could form a clot in/near her heart. So kinda dammed if we do and dammed if we don't. She doesn't have a lot of teeth and what she does have are broken/worn/damaged but having a dental also needs to wait until she's got more weight. The remaining tumor we are also going to leave be as well. In her favor is that she did survive one surgery so she's a strong girl, but long story short, she's probably only got a few months. She could suprise us and have a better recovery/longer life but...well, time will tell. Her heart and lungs sound good when the Doc listened but she's had a few episodes where she had hard, labored breathing out of the blue for short spells. So she may experiencing some short pain episodes or the Heartworms are starting to affect her heart/lungs.

On the upside, I'm amazed at how much she's improved from just Saturday to today. She hasn't left a crumb at a meal yet and she can walk across the street and back without laying down every ten steps. I'm sure she's exhausted from today's outing but she held up really well.

Anyhow, that's the latest on Daffodil. No new pictures. It's cold and rainy here so we'll be staying in and taking it easy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thanks for the update on Daffodil. I wish her all the best. Thank you for giving her a home!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand