Question about a chow mix dog

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

skh1988

Question about a chow mix dog

Post by skh1988 »

I bought my best friend 12 months ago at the tender age of 9 weeks from a Mennonite farm. I had every intention of getting a purebred dog, until I stumbled upon my Keelan, a lab-chow mix who was just such a little ray of sunshine that all of my previous plans to buy a pedigree dog just went out the window. Ever since I've had him, I've done my utmost to socialize him and train him like any other dog. But I am almost certain that many of his quirks and behaviors come not from what he's learned from me, but from his chow chow background. Not to say he's a bad dog or his quirks are bad quirks, just very distinctively chow-esque. From the way he sits to the way he greets strangers. My reason for posting is, I wanted to see if there was anyone on this site who has experience with a chow mix dog, so I can get your opinion on this. Do you think, or know from experience, that a chow mix can be almost like having a purebred chow chow, behavior wise, personality wise, etc?
Auddymay

Re: Question about a chow mix dog

Post by Auddymay »

It varies greatly. Congratulations on your Chowder! My Pip was a Chowder as well. She was more Lab in behavior. There are a couple more folks on here with Chwders as well. Their behavior also is a blend, from all accounts. Treat your Chowder as you would any loving companion. I personally treat all my pets about the same, and make adaptations by individuality, not by breed expectation.
rhonskie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rhonskie »

i got Chubs, my lhasa-chow mix, 2 weeks ago, he's now 12 weeks old. i would agree that every dog has its own personality. even dogs of the same breeds differ. i was watching cesar millan's video this morning, and he carefully explained how dogs are as animals, as species, as breeds and as personality :)

as for my puppy, he got both the lhasa and the chow's stubborn attitude. #-o i also noticed how strange my puppy sits, as if he sits so lazily, he would rather lay down with his arms and legs all stretched out on the floor. i dont know much about lhasa's or even chows, but as ived been reading lately, i can see chow traits in my puppy :) as for the looks, clearly he got it from his mom (lhasa). i still dont know what he'll look like in a couple of months. (he's 50/50 mix, both chowchow and lhasa are pure bred dogs) :?:
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I think that my JR has a small touch of lab in him...........however..........he is a real CHOW.
Everything that he does is Chow....and even at 14 yrs old he still looks like a fluffy back bear chow.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS