At it again

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

At it again

Post by Terrina Harris »

There are some Chow puppies in KY that were put up on a Chow rescue list. They were listed on there by an Ohio rescue. This rescue acted like she wasn't interested in any of them. Well we commented to taking them. Then earlier this week she goes to the Shelter and tries to take 2 of them. (of course pick of the litter) She was very rude to the people at the shelter and when she found out it was a rescue in MI, she then questions rather our rescue was a good one. At the shelter a name or rescue was not given to us or to them while the shelter was on the phone asking what we wanted them to do. They were just told that she was from Ohio. At this shelter they do not have you do a spay or neuter contract so for all anyone knew she could have been someone wanting to breed them.

When she got home she called us that night. She said she had a home for one of the girls. Larry said well she could take one (she also wanted a boy)
Emails back and forth. Larry wrote we would make better seperate rescue groups then combined enemies. Answer to that was "I am at least glad that we are FINALLY on the same page." We were also told our phone number and email addresses are being blocked by her.

Well tonight we have a police officer show up and said they got a call about us. It was from out of state. We now have a month to find homes for everyone over our limit or they will take them. We can have any that are under 6 to 7 months here. The officer said he could see that everyone is being well cared for and seemed happy. We have all the medical records. So we are 3 adults over the limit here

We are now scrambling to find foster homes for 3. So we will not let her get away with having any of these guys put down. If anyone can help or has any suggestions please let us know. She will not win by having any of these guys taken. This is nothing but being mean and spiteful.

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
I understand
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: At it again

Post by I understand »

Don't worry. Nothing will be done about her as usual. She has been a member of our Yahoo group for years. No one takes any action, no attempts to put her in line and start acting like a real rescue instead of a spoiled school girl. Even the list moderator knows what she is about and does not do a thing to stop it and she is a member of a national chow welfare club! The best thing I can say to you is that karma will get this hurtful woman in the end. She who kills Chows under the guise of rescue, that has to be a big sin! Hang in there TLC, some of us out here still love you! :D
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I understand wrote: Even the list moderator knows what she is about and does not do a thing to stop it ...
What are you talking about? Please elaborate. Don't know who the heck you are talking about here.
Charlotte Paige
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Charlotte Paige »

It is not one of the mods on here... they are talking about a yahoo group I think.
The midwest is not looking good for chows right now.. TLC was our go to here in Illinois... now with this harassment... I doubt they will be able to take any in for awhile.

I am glad the police were able to see the loving environment you provide and know all of the dogs were cared for with lots of "TLC" (I know corny) and are willing to work with you and give you the time to find foster homes. I wish I could help.... I am at my limit for pets right now (only 2 dogs allowed here in my town).

But as said before... Karma
My Sweet Charlotte
May 28, 1994 - July 14, 2006
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Oh Terrina and Larry, How awful. I think I know who you are talking about. I have no doubt the police found your dogs well taken care of, I wonder if they would find the same at her "rescue"

David
CCCI Welfare
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CCCI Welfare »

Yes, please do elaborate and identify yourself. If you have a complaint about the list I moderate or a member of that list, I would appreciate knowing about more about it. And not anonymously.

Vicki DeGruy

[quote="I understand"]Don't worry. Nothing will be done about her as usual. She has been a member of our Yahoo group for years. No one takes any action, no attempts to put her in line and start acting like a real rescue instead of a spoiled school girl. Even the list moderator knows what she is about and does not do a thing to stop it and she is a member of a national chow welfare club! The best thing I can say to you is that karma will get this hurtful woman in the end. She who kills Chows under the guise of rescue, that has to be a big sin! Hang in there TLC, some of us out here still love you! :D[/quote]
Vicki DeGruy, chair
Chow Chow Club, Inc. Welfare Committee
http://www.chowwelfare.com
tabitha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tabitha »

Isn't what's important here helping TLC find foster homes for their rescue chows?

Not who said what.

It's all about the chows. Saving Chows lives. #-o
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I really hope these chows that have been rescued, looked after so well and loved can find forever homes or at least foster homes for now. Could you post a link here to the rescue here? It brings tears to my eyes to see all the chows in homes and centres across the US. So sad. You do a great job Terrina and Larry and everyone else who works away saving these beautiful dogs. =D= =D= =D=
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

If you are trying to find homes (foster or forever) for 3 of your chows so you can comply to standards, even though TLC wrote the following regarding cc.org "if you can not eat it, if you can not smell it, if you can not hump it, just piss on it and walk away - Larry" feel free to post their photos and bio in the ADOPTION section of this forum UNDER the RESCUE GROUP section where it belongs.

Also, in the future, please refrain from posting threads which can illicit negative slants towards one rescue, whether or not they deserve it. Since you all eventually work for the same cause, even if one appears to play dirty, their perception may not be the same as yours and it will be a neverending cycle of mixed perceptions. Moreover, genuinely it is good practice to NOT "slam" one another as one hand eventually helps another in rescue - maybe not today but in the future. TIA
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

lol I come here because I was informed TLC was having a problem and what do I see? I see the same reason I left this site to begin with...mod drama and ugliness.

Larry and Terrina I am so sorry for your troubles and you will be in my prayers and if there is anything I can do please email me.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

...I was not aware you left...of course, as a mod, I can see who is watching from the wings, maybe that is why I think you are here. Also, all has been quite civil and quiet...until now.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Laura wrote: ...mod drama and ugliness...
:roll:
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Terrina, this is too bad. The good thing is that there is such a thing as karma. I am not sure how rescues work in your area but it is possible to register differently in order to up the number you can keep? Also, if you don't find foster homes, can you board three of them until you can? You said they saw how well taken care of everyone is so maybe they can make an exceptiom for you until you can find homes for them.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Somewhat naively, it was me that suggested posting a link HERE. I wish that it didn't feel like there are landmines on this site and you never know when you will step on one. I just felt bad about the chows and wanted to suggest something that might help. :oops:
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I was going to pm this but since it is already public, I am posting MY OPINION If there was an objection to the post, it could have been moved by the moderators and a pm sent quietly to the offender. I personally think
even though TLC wrote the following regarding cc.org "if you can not eat it, if you can not smell it, if you can not hump it, just piss on it and walk away - Larry"
that this is also a slam towards the original poster and that since that this is only a partial quote and there is no context from which it came,it makes Larry look bad. It also makes the Mod who posted this look petty . The original post was posted in Community Discussions ,the sub title is
Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars. Open to the public.
They really haven't broken any rules, they just stated what they believed happened and didn't state the persons name. Larry and Terrina ran into a problem because they care more about Chows than they do about some local ordinance. Their chows are welll taken care of and being perhaps biased, I know what type of people they are because of the loss of Maxwell and the adoption of Maxine. They have taken care of the problem. Instead of being snide to them, We all should try to do our part to support them. I am sure they were/are upset about the whole thing and the added public reprimand didn't help. They have helped more chows than just about anyone on the forum. They deserve more respect than what was given them.

David
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I completely agree with David. I will also add that yes there has been extreme ugliness on the site with people going after each other personally, but that doesn't mean in my opinion that every controversial topic, especially when it deals with chows should be automatically banned and/or the poster be scolded for posting. This is a form of censorship and shouldn't be something that is done unless it is a personal attack.

Let's not allow the pendulum to swing to far into what is "safe" and "comfortable" that to me diminishes the value of the site.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It seems to me as a fairly new member of this site that I don't really know what the function of the moderators is. On any other forum I have belonged to Mods take a neutral stance and deal with rule infringements behind the scenes. The trouble is that a mod has power whether posting as a mod or in individual, and that goes with the teritor, so it seems as in any position of power that they would need to be doubly careful not involve themselves in squabbles or politics. A discussion should allow everyone to have their say unless it breaks the rules. As far as I can see Larry and Terrina did not break any obvious rules and it was ME who suggested posting on this thread the details of the chows. They did not do it. But as David said if they had it could have been moved. Plenty of posts have been in the past. So why was it necessary to be so harsh? Is this more politics that I don't know about because I am newish here?

At the end of the day the most important thing is that they have found places for the chows and their good work can continue. =D= =D= =D=
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

In Larry's defense...he's had that as his signature quote for a long time. I remember reading it and giggling the first time I saw it.
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Dogdad wrote:I was going to pm this but since it is already public, I am posting MY OPINION If there was an objection to the post, it could have been moved by the moderators and a pm sent quietly to the offender. I personally think
even though TLC wrote the following regarding cc.org "if you can not eat it, if you can not smell it, if you can not hump it, just piss on it and walk away - Larry"
that this is also a slam towards the original poster and that since that this is only a partial quote and there is no context from which it came,it makes Larry look bad. It also makes the Mod who posted this look petty . The original post was posted in Community Discussions ,the sub title is
Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars. Open to the public.
They really haven't broken any rules, they just stated what they believed happened and didn't state the persons name. Larry and Terrina ran into a problem because they care more about Chows than they do about some local ordinance. Their chows are welll taken care of and being perhaps biased, I know what type of people they are because of the loss of Maxwell and the adoption of Maxine. They have taken care of the problem. Instead of being snide to them, We all should try to do our part to support them. I am sure they were/are upset about the whole thing and the added public reprimand didn't help. They have helped more chows than just about anyone on the forum. They deserve more respect than what was given them. David
Good for you, David for turning this thread into more than it is. If you read the quote as a slam towards the original poster than so be it. That quote was a direct slam against cc.org and it is interesting how it seems okay to disrespect this site but not be accountable to what one says. Sure it made Larry look bad. He was the one who wrote it. It's his motto. But when one operates a non-profit, one must be aware of what is written by them publically since for the most part, non-profits rely on the kindness of strangers. Did I say they couldn't post on this site anymore? NO! I advised them to make use of the section Terry created specifically for RESCUE ORGANIZATIONS so that the chows in need in their care DO NOT GET LOST IN THE GENERAL "CHOWS IN NEED SECTION"! You are biased but I won't fault you for that but I will fault you for saying I don't support them. I could have easily deleted this entire thread if I didn't support the chows they have in peril. I suggested to the OP to think and heed caution before posting negatively towards another rescue which was NOT a form of censorship. She has free will to take my advice or not. She wants to put TLC's reputation in peril by being placed in a 'do not release' list or blacklisted or harrassed by other rescuers just because they can and these things do exist in the rescue world, then go for it. Obviously the person she is referring to in her opening post wielded enough influence in her circle to be heard a state away. Again, censorship? No. She has free will to take my advice or not. I will not fault your bias since you are not a moderator on this site and the BIG picture of the reprocussions of this thread illudes you. And before you call someone petty, you look in the mirror first. You ruined this thread and turned it personal. A PM to me would have been more appropriate.

So instead of being so reactionary toward my post, why not follow Linda and Boogie's suggestion on how to help TLC at this juncture. Raise funds so the three chows can be boarded at a boarding facility or at a vet's kennel.