HELP - maxine found a kitten

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: HELP - maxine found a kitten

Post by Dogdad »

Kingalls, Carlos will be happy to hear that Kittens are happy in one room. I am so glad I picked her up, it is 32 degrees outside now, my plants have all been frosted, Yoshi is loving the cold grass and I am sure kabuki would have froze to death alone. She is up 5:00am so it must be fate, she has the same sleeping habits of my family. I am waiting for her formula to warm up and then I will feed her.

Bama,

Monday for sure she is going to the vet. Do you think by having a window she will want to go outside? I am hoping it will be just kitty vision. Thanks for the compliment, but I am not nearly as sweet as you think and only a push over to animals. Hope all is going well with you, off to take benedryl

David
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

David,
We have window perches for the cats. It's funny to hear them chatter at the birds in the tree. I recommend a cat tree for Kabuki to climb - cats like to be up high. Unlike a lot of Chows, cats love toys - especially things that roll.
Have fun with Kabuki!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Morning, I hope you guys aren't sick of my cat talk. We have poo, I repeat we have poo. Her tummy is much softer. We called everyone else we could think of and no one wants her, I can't do the humane society and refuse to do craiglist so I think Kabuki is ours. The vet is on for Monday. She is much more active this morning and this afternoon we are moving her up to Carlo's room. So far today no big allergies and I was handling her alot so hopefully a benedryl every other day will do it. This morning We formally introduced her to the fur kids and Aldo is afraid of her, Mikimoto is indifferent, Maxine, dear sweet Ms Bobolini, went right up the her, sniffed her a few times and then sat down and watched her crawl around. Maxine thinks it is her kid I guess. Now we are off to get more kitty supplies

David
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Hey David,
I have always been somewhat allergic to cats as well but I noticed that over a short amount of time I have developed a tolerance for it. My husband came home one night with his mother's cat (unexpectedly) and she's been here ever since. You might find the same thing. No more stuffiness.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

As for cat toys, I"ve found that kittens love to play with a little bit of paper that is rolled up into a ball. The ball has to be small enough that they can pick it up with their mouth. I used to do this with newspaper. I would throw the wadded paper ball and the kitten would go after it. Once the kitten picked up the wadded paper, I would call them to come back to me. Then I would take it from them and throw it again. Soon the kitten would learn to play fetch. Kittens like any young animal can have tons of energy, and this became a great way to burn off some it.

As the kitten gets a bit bigger, I found that mice toys made of rabbit fur (has to be the rabbit fur type not the fake fur kind) and ping pong balls make great toys. However, be careful of the chows who might also take an interest in the new kitty toys since they are small enough to be easily ingested by a larger animal. My chow, Sweetie, has an uncle who will take the mice toys in his mouth and hide them in his cheek. His owner would have to open his mouth and search around with her finger to find them.

Good Luck with the new kitten :D
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

We have poo, I repeat we have poo. Her tummy is much softer. We called everyone else we could think of and no one wants her
I tend to read much too fast and miss-read this with "it" instead of "her" at the end!!! Good news anyway, well done. :lol:

I have written a few times about our rescue chinchilla cat who came from a house of 64 chinchillas and as many dead. He had never been handled by anyone when we got him and he was so scared when we got the dogs. Now he keeps them both in order except if he gets a fright and runs then Bramble will chase and he runs madly for safety. If you do as you plan and keep a safe area for to grow up in she may well grow braver as she grows bigger and eventually keep Yoshi in order. Perhaps Maxine will do that for you if she feels so maternal. That is so cute of her.

Our kittens also played fetch but we used rolled up pieces of tin foil. Kittens are quite uncoordinated and tend to stagger around at the best of times so I am not surprised she gave the impression of being blind. She does look young possible even only 4 or 5 weeks.

Definatly not tired of hearing about Kabuki. Keep us posted after the vet visit.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Ahh, my darling hubby was highly allergic to cats also..after a while he got better with them..(we had 2) but we did basically have them in one room to sleep and eat and cat box.. and hubby never went in that room till the last one passed away and he was helping me get rid of the cat stuff to take to the shelter and he got a horrible reaction.. We laughed and said it was Stinky's (her name) last revenge ...we put up a kid gate that the cats could jump over or under and the dogs couldn't.. they had a safe place when they needed it.. zoomies scarred them.. My kids use to tease and say the cats had a bed all to themselves.. and when their friends came over the kids had to sleep with their friends cause the cat room was the cat room.. no one slept in their room.. except the cats...
Funny when my daughter went away to college when she came home at christmas she started with allergies to the cats. Just make sure you wash your hands after touching the kitten.. I can't imagine her dorm room was dust free either so the cat dander should not not have bothered her that much.. LOL..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hows the baby and what did the vet have to say? Most important how are the allergies?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Kakubi is fine, last night she did her business by herself in her litter pan after we all went to bed. This morning, she got up and I fed her, Maxine and the others had to watch. Maxine gave her several face kisses and Kabuki seemed to like it. Kabuki is so cute , she plays with us and when we leave she goes in her little box or cave, then when she hears us come in , she comes out and is ready to play. I called the vet and we can't get her in untill Thursday. Mostly because of my work schedule, but I think she will be ok till then. She is begining to take formula and food from herself so she will be fine when we are gone
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I must have missed the beginning of this, somehow. Kittens have a way of stealing your heart very quickly. And yes, they are so funny! You will really enjoy watching Kabuki and all the funny things she does. We have 3 cats. The 2 older ones go in and out, the youngest one I decided would be an indoor cat. She is curious about the outside and loves to look out the windows, but does alright with being inside.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

My cats love anything crinkly or with catnip. Feather teaser toys are a favorite too.

They will not use a scratching post (out of 10, maybe 1 will use it once every few weeks), but they all LOVE the corrugated cardboard scratchers, especially with fresh catnip. They all fight over new ones and will scratch the heck out of them until there is nothing left. They also use them to take out their anger on us, lol. One will get ticked at too much cuddles or another cat and go and scratch at like she's scratching someone's eyeballs out, it's very entertaining.

Have fun with Kabuki! The kitten stage doesn't last long enough! Our last kitten (who we pulled from the shelter when she was 8 weeks and emaciated and never left) is now a fat,grumpy adult cat who no longer wants cuddles. But, she is also a calico, and calicoes tend to be that way anyway.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Has she done the crazy sidewinder hop yet, David? It is quite hilarious...
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

She has lots of toys but nothing she seems to like, I think she is too small yet, she prefers to climb on us and get her tummy scratched and purr. I can't get her into the vet until Thursday, but she is much better, just need to get her dewormed and later her shots

David
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Some more photos wouldn't go amiss!!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I found out that she is a tortoiseshell marked cat, probably 4-5 weeks old, I posted more pics in the photo section, there is a cute one with Maxine