What I saw in Town today.....

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

What I saw in Town today.....

Post by Judy Fox »

............was absolutely lovely and it made me smile, really smile.

I had to pop into town today to go to the bank and as I came out a young lady passed me with an obviously very new black labrador puppy. He must have been about 3 months old and had on a brand new collar and lead.

So - you might say! :?:

Well, what I thought was lovely was she was talking quietly to him, telling him where they were going and what a good boy he was and did he see the pigeons etc. etc. :D I walked up behind her as near as was polite and listened. :oops:

He was looking up at her and walking along so beautifully for such a young puppy.

I know there are those of us on this site that swear by talking to our chow chows and I know Zhuyo's Mom talks to hers and we talk to ours - we tell them where we are going and when we will be back and when we are out on a walk with them we talk to them.

What really struck me about that particular young lady was though, she did not walk along with her mobile phone plastered to her ear. I see so many young mothers walking along with babies in prams or young children tagging on behind and the mother making long telephone calls when she could really talking to the little ones.

I bet that little black pup will grow up to be a beautiful grown up boy.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Re: What I saw in Town today.....

Post by Auddymay »

I know what you mean Judy. I see moms in the grocery stores all the time yakking to beat the band, and they have a toddler in the cart, being ignored, and for extra irritation they are unaware anyone else is trying to shop as well. Total boorish behavior.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I wish that there were some rules as to using cell phones. I hate it when I'm trying to shop and there are all these people with kids and the parent is on the phone and the kid is either screaming for attention, (if they are a baby in the cart) or running around unsupervised if they are older. And I really get ticked at people walking their dogs and talking on the phone, sometimes the poor dog doesn't get to sniff or even do it's business because the owner is so busy talking on the phone.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That is true Victory but the little black lab. I saw was being talked to and it was lovely to see. His Mum was only talking to him quietly and he was looking up at her and being such a good little pup. :)
I felt a touch guilty sneaking up as near as I possibly could without being rude to listen in!! :roll:
Lucky little lad.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Judy, I couldn't agree with you more. Quality time is so important to give to our children, both smooth and furry!
With animals, it's about a relationship, not ownership. People who view themselves strictly as, "owners" are missing
out on a great deal in the way of a close relationship with their furkids.

I'm always talking to my furkids. My DH will say, "what did you say, I can't hear you"? Most times I have to
reply, "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the babies (furkids)". I carry on conversations with them,
reading their body language and replying for them! :lol: It works, we are all happy with it!
I believe they know what I'm saying..most of the time?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

That is true and if you consider the effort they put into us, talking to them and so on is nothing. I know with M & M, they know every sound in the house. If they are in the garden and Fred opens the cupboard door in the kitchen and gets out the biscuit tin, they will come in!! With big chow grins on their faces knowing they are going to get a little bit. :lol:
They have studied us and loved us and know every move we make - it is so little just to give back to them and then, as you say, you have a much fuller relationship with them.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have the same 'you talking to me?' problem here. I like the way Lily will tilt her head as though in rapture to what I am saying...lol. Really, I have never been big on talking on the phone. The only time I do talk at any length is when I am speaking to someone I haven't heard from in awhile. I just don't see the attraction of talking to someone on the phone when there is someone right there more than happy to be addressed. That little black lab was lucky indeed, to have someone that does not regard them as an accessory
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Oh, well I am huge at talking on the phone. Growing up I only talked on the phone to make arrangements to meet someone or quick calls. However, now that I live so far from home and move so often I need my phone to keep in contact with friends and family. However, I am smart enough to do it when my kids are busy playing or when my little one is napping or after bedtime.

The thing I hate most about cell phones is when someone is supposed to be checking out and they cannot figure out how to do it while on the phone. Or when they are in a quite store having an loud conversation. Oh, or have you ever been in a movie with some one on the phone or texting non-stop. Never mind lots of things annoy me!

I don't talk to Ivana like a baby. To me she is my best friend. I talk to her like I am talking to a girlfriend, but with grooming and petting.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Judy , I must say I LOVE THAT PICTURE OF M&M!

It is also lovely to hear that the new puppy owner loves her puppy. I talk to Henry all the time, when we're out for walks we discuss the weather or which way to go and wether he is getting wet feet or not. When I leave the house, I tell him where I am going, when I should be home, that he should be a good boy and of course 'I love you Henry' as I walk out the door.
Thank you Sweatpea
chris

Post by chris »

I talk to my puppies all the time... :-) I love talking to them. I love watching their heads tilt or their ears move as if they know what I am saying. Steel is not a big talker, but the GS seems to talk back... you can hold a conversation with him. ;-)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL I talk to Kearra & Kyra all the time....the dh will say WHAT?? I wasn't talking to you!!! Who are you talking to then??? Kearra & Kyra.....OH Do you think they are going to answer you?? :roll: :lol: They do!! I never heard them say a word :roll: .....No?? Well look at them and you will see they understand everything I say. Kearra are you ready to go and get the kids??? Kearra starts dancing around going in circles and runs for the door :lol: Now tell me she doesn't understand what I just said :lol: :lol: dh, :shock: ummm guess she does huh??
They do understand you just have to undertand THEIR language....they even talk back.....Kearra would have went under the bed if she didn't want to go :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mally »

Oh tha's very nice Judy. Well I'm big on chatting anyway so of course I also chat with Lychee. When we go for a walk after work I ask her where she wants to go today ... usually I get the look "dog park" :lol: then I ask her what I should cook for dinner and what meat she would like to have....once I stopped in front of the butcher and aksed Lychee if she wanted chicken necks or lamb neck for dinner? Lychee gave me a look so I said aloud "chicken necks again? You had that two nights in a row! I'll get some lamb". What I didn't realise was that the butcher had the door open and heard our conversation. So I walked in and asked for some lamb. The butcher looked at me and said "are you sure I think she wants some chicken necks?" :shock: Well I blushed just a little ...doesn't stop me talking to her though :lol:
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well I am happy to hear I am not alone with my chow chatting. I talk to Butters all the time. I also get the "What did you say" from DH. He thinks I am nuts, he also claims that Butters doesn't talk back. But he certainly does. He has learned to spell a few words as well. Crafty ball of fur he is. He can spell CAT, and Squirrel. We quit saying these words as it caused an uproar and the search was on. We started spelling them and within a week he was on to us. 8) I also get funny looks from people at the park. Seems I can't help myself. Oh Well. :roll:
SweetPea Rocks!!
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

I've never really appreciated that some people don't talk to their animals, to me and to most people who live with an animal its a normal part of daily routines to chat away to your pets, they like it, they listen and tilt their heads back and forth as if they're actually absorbing what you're saying. It makes them feel like they're part of your life and not just a hanger on, even cats respond quite well to being chatted to, ours talks back every time. Its so nice to know that most people talk to their animals, they're beings that have a soul, just like us and they love to hear the sound of their master's voice, just like we are soothed by the voices of our loved ones.
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Ok, I wasn't gonna brag, but.........
today, during our, "chow chat" (TJ, I like your phraseology) I asked Colonel if he wanted to go
for a ride. Not only did he respond with an emphatic, "yes" he asked me if he could drive!!!!! Really!!! :^o :^o :^o
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!

Post by Guest »

I talk to CC all the time. How could you not? I cannot know if she wants to go out without asking. If I ask if she needs to potty she will jump up on the door if she needs to go but not if she does not need to go. I also ask her if she wants a treat and tell her to behave when she is growling because she thinks something is outside. She tells me when her favorite neighor cat is outside. I like to talk on the phone but not when I have my grandkids. They deserve my attention and love. Cannot give that when on the phone.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree - it is amazing how many words Milly and Mabel know and also they know all the sounds in the house and know exactly what we are up to.
Regarding the mobile phones - I think they are excellent but to take one out to talk to people whilst out for a walk with M & M - absolutely no. I put my mobile in my pocket when we go out in case of emergency but otherwise, it stays in my pocket. :)
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

You know what else I hate about cell phones? I have a new friend who will answer her cell phone when we are hanging out and just have a nice long conversation. How rude!! Again everything annoys me!!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I had one of those friends. I hated being around her. She would pull up to a drive thru and ask them to hold on while she finished her conversation! HOw Rude.

Bama, I know you let colonel drive, didn't ya!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Continuing the subject of mobile phones - I tell you what I did see not an hour ago. I popped to the local supermarket for some shopping and on the way back I saw a young woman - probably in her early twenties dragging a little white mutt along. It was only a little terrier type and it was desperately trying to do a bundle. She was totally oblivious to the fact as she was talking on her phone and striding out and the poor little thing was being literally dragged along. :evil:
Me, not being able to keep my beak out of other people's business stopped, opened the window and called to her "Oi! your dog is trying to drop a bundle!" She looked at me and with the phone still to her ear looked at me with a blank look and said " Wot?" So I told her again but second time said ".....your dog is trying to have a $*** !" She turned round and saw the poor little thing with a look of absolute bliss on his face doing what a dog has to do!!
With that, I closed the window and drove off! :lol: :roll:
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

You can laugh Siriol - my family warn me that one day I will get a smack in the mouth!! :roll: \:D/

I don't know how it is with you up North, but here in Crewe, on a Saturday or during school holidays the youngsters are so rude. I will be walking along the pedestianised part of the town and 5 or 6 12-14 yr. olds will be coming in the opposite direction making straight for me. They have such scowls on their faces and are shoulder to shoulder. As they get nearer to me, I refuse to swerve out of their way - for crying out loud, there are six of them - all in a row ! :shock: Sometimes they will break ranks and walk round me but sometimes, they will carry on walking. I will then stop and say "I am not going to move!" and more than once there has been a stalemate situation until they give in cos I will be beggered if I will be intimidated by them. My daughters scold me and tell me I am only courting trouble. :roll:

Please don't get me wrong, I do not " have it in " for youngsters, in fact I get on with them very well but I do hate that sort of unsociable behaviour.

Well, there you go, my rant for this evening!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Oh Judy, are you my long lost Auntie? I do the exact same thing. I tell them I will not give way as well, and to mind their manners...I have had collisions, and I am not the one who is worse for wear for it, either...lol. I have been called all manner of names, and all for claiming my own space! One pimple faced kid actually tried to argue that he had the right of way...now, we walk as we drive here, on the right side. I told him he may be correct, but only if he was in the UK, in which case I would be running down the fella on the left side instead of him!