The first puppy

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

The first puppy

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Hello All,
Since Barack Obama's speech last night, one of the things that has been in the news here on the east coast all morning from Good Morning America to the Today show to our local news is the first puppy that the Obamas will be taking to the White House. Regardless of who you voted for, I think this is a chance for all of us to speak up about this. This morning I sent an email congratulating the Obamas and asking them to please promote responsible pet ownership. There are countless stories of White House pets being temporary fixtures. All eyes are on our new President right now, what a better time to relay the message of responsible pet ownership.
In my email I also asked for no aversive training for this puppy, I asked for the new First family to show our nation that we are headed towards a better treatment of our pets.
Regardless of who you voted for, I think we can all agree that we want the best for not just our chows, but all dogs out there. If you would like to send a message about the puppy to the Obamas, this is the website that I used: http://answercenter.barackobama.com/cgi ... &p_lva=172. I know we do not all agree on how to train our chows and of course there's no need to mention that if you would rather not, but I thought if enough people sent a message about this puppy and what we hope for him or her, that they might take notice. I know this sounds silly and may even silly when the campaign office finally opens up my little email titled "the first puppy" but who knows... Of course, I also apologized for making a request already! :D

P.S. I miss posting a lot, I am checking in as often as I can and after the end of Nov, I'll have a lot more time to be back on.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The first puppy

Post by fillyok »

This is funny...I was just talking to my co-workers about the Obamas adopting a rescue rather than buying a puppy. From what I heard, they've agreed to adopt.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I agree, I think the First Family has a big impact on setting examples. It would be great if they adopted from a shelter! When I get a chance, I'll write too. Thanks for the idea!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Best Friends ran a petition for it and had an overwhelming response. http://network.bestfriends.org/news/pos ... x?np=27152
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Way to go Chowfrnd88!

I am right with you - who better to use as examples to teach people.
Mia
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

The Chicago Tribune has a short story on this today. Michelle Obama would like to find one at a shelter, but because of the girls has allergies they need to find one that is more allergy friendly. Supposedly, the daughter would like a goldendoodle or a labradoodle (I can't remember which now). PAWS, a local shelter, has offered to help them find the perfect pound dog.

Of course, the AKC wants them to adopt a purebreed poodle. I hope they adopt from one of our local shelters! It would be great example to set for others who are thinking about adopting a dog.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope so, too. It seems that they could still find an "allergy friendly" dog at a shelter or rescue.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks for the links. I added my comments about getting a rescue or shelter dog (and the fact that there could be no house training with an older dog). There are labradoodles and golden doodles at our shelter all the time. Shelters and rescues have puppies too as we all know. Now I know they probably wouldn't want a chow if allergies are involved, but our son was allergic to dogs until we got Sullivan.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I see Goldendoodles pop up often at our animal shelter, too. They never call it a Goldendoodle, though, they always list it as a Golden Retriever / Poodle mix. I think people would be more apt to adopt a Goldendoodle over the golden/poodle mix because then they think they're getting a "designer" dog. :roll:
ImageImageImage
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Being a long time allergy sufferer myself, I wish I knew just how allergic this daughter is to things. When I was tested, I got tested for 100 allergens and was positive for 96. And I can honestly say that I'm fine now as long as I don't stick my face into their coat right after a brushing and wash my hands often. I don't see why their daughter wouldn't also do those things.

I do hope they adopt a dog from a shelter though. I like to think that it would make others think twice about BYB/pet stores but after everything I've seen, I just can't give most people that much credit.