Why is my chow chow's fur short? 1st time dog owner

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Why is my chow chow's fur short? 1st time dog owner

Post by licorish »

Hi, it's my first time to have a dog/puppy, and they said it's a chow chow. But I've been wondering since I frequently see chow chow puppies with so much fur, and they all look like cute cuddly furballs. Mine is not that furry, but is cuddly nonetheless. Since they told me it's a chow, they told me to wait 'till its first birthday for it to have its full coat(?). I don't know, since Chicco is my first puppy. Though I sometimes feed and play with my brother's chocolate lab and white german shepherd (my baby Chicco plays with them ALL THE TIME), I can truthfully admit I don't know much about Chows (though I've read things on the internet). Chicco is only given to me without papers, and it really doesn't bother me if he's a pure chow or a mixed breed. I just want to know if he is indeed a chow, and if it is normal for him to have such short fur (compared to others I see online).

Here are some of Chicco's pictures along with Shadow (the german shepherd). He is 2 months and 2-3 weeks old at these pictures. He is now 3 months old. His fur is starting to get thick, but not that long.

I know there have been a lot of questions here, and I'm sorry for adding to a long list of queries. I just thought this is the most appropriate place to ask. :( But a reply would be much appreciated. Thank you very much! :D
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Why is my chow chow's fur short? 1st time dog owner

Post by Pinoy51 »

I think you have a super cute Chow-Mix.
I'm basing my opinion mainly on his ears and head build. A pure Chow has small triangle ears and a square face.
See Simba when he was three months old
Simba three months old
Simba three months old
image.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 21229 times
Nevertheless the young boy is adorable
Best regards
Pinoy51
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Oh... Is that so? Thank you. :)
I just wish he'll be more fluffier when he grows up. We love him all the same, I just wanted to know what might his breed were if he's not a pure chow. I've been looking at pictures of chow chow and other dog mixes. Chicco is very playful and lazy at times, but he's quick in learning tricks. He now knows how to sit, fetch and heel.
Thank you very much Pinoy51, indeed my baby is wonderful. Thank you for sparing your time at my post. :)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Licorish,
you're welcome.
Be careful what you wish for :D
Simba 1.5 years old
Simba 1.5 years old
image.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 21220 times
Simba needs 10 to 15minutes brushing daily with different combs. I need to cut his hair every two to three weeks, give him a bath every one or two weeks and blow dry his chest fur every other day as he is a sloppy drinker and therefore always have a wet fur. Oh and every six months it is shedding time, with fur all over the house.
But the reward is a super lion looking dog and a lot of fur to cuddle :)
Best regards
Pinoy51
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

He's a great looking puppy! It's possible he's a smooth-coat on the Chow side. You can see some photos of my smoothy here: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 00#p207534
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

How nice, Chico is extremely adorable, congratulations and welcome to both of you. Our Doppler here is super fluffy and blowing hair almost whole year round so there should be someone who would give him few brush a day. Hope you find our if he have other breed in him. Enjoy the board!
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Pinoy51 wrote:Hi Licorish,
you're welcome.
Be careful what you wish for :D

Simba needs 10 to 15minutes brushing daily with different combs. I need to cut his hair every two to three weeks, give him a bath every one or two weeks and blow dry his chest fur every other day as he is a sloppy drinker and therefore always have a wet fur. Oh and every six months it is shedding time, with fur all over the house.
But the reward is a super lion looking dog and a lot of fur to cuddle :)

Hahaha! :D Well yes they told me it would be hard to maintain... I didn't know it would be such hard work. Haha! But then if it comes to chicco it'll be worth it. I love it when we bathe him and dry him afterwards. He's just so fluffy! His fur is starting to get thick, and I'm thinking of buying a brush, should he have a brush of his own or can I use my brother's brush for his babies (the lab and the gs)? Chicco is somewhat a messy drinker too, I'm actually excited of buying a hair dryer for him. Haha! :D He's becoming so big now, I'm starting to get tired carrying him just by one arm. But I think he'll be just so cute and cuddly with lots of fur I'll still cuddle and carry him if I could! Hahaha! :D
DrewBear wrote:He's a great looking puppy! It's possible he's a smooth-coat on the Chow side. You can see some photos of my smoothy here: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 00#p207534
Thank you! I will definitely check on it! Your post actually made my day... 'Cause I'm really hoping Chicco has lots of chow in him, then again he's my special baby regardless... :)
Doppler wrote:How nice, Chico is extremely adorable, congratulations and welcome to both of you. Our Doppler here is super fluffy and blowing hair almost whole year round so there should be someone who would give him few brush a day. Hope you find our if he have other breed in him. Enjoy the board!
Thank you so much! I am somewhat jealous of chows I found around here, I really want him to grow all that fluffy hair. My brother said I should wait 'till he grows up for me to find out what his fur would look like. And that I should be thankful I don't have much to maintain... As of now. :p

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! :)
I am extremely grateful. :)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Licorish,
Actually if he develops Chow fur you need not one, but three brushes, a scissor and a blow dryer.
Brush one: standard pin brush, with soft, elastic bottom.
That's the one Simba and Nala likes the most it is like a massage brush.
Brush Two: metal rake, miniature garden tool :) , that's to get the dead hair out of the under coat.
Brush Three: fine brush (needle brush), it is to handle entangled fur.
This brush is used to get as much fur as possible out of an entangled part.
Sissor: cut away entangled fur which can't be removed with the fine brush
Best regards
Pinoy51
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Pinoy51 wrote:Hi Licorish,
Actually if he develops Chow fur you need not one, but three brushes, a scissor and a blow dryer.
Brush one: standard pin brush, with soft, elastic bottom.
That's the one Simba and Nala likes the most it is like a massage brush.
Brush Two: metal rake, miniature garden tool :) , that's to get the dead hair out of the under coat.
Brush Three: fine brush (needle brush), it is to handle entangled fur.
This brush is used to get as much fur as possible out of an entangled part.
Sissor: cut away entangled fur which can't be removed with the fine brush
Oh I see... I thought he needed a brush despite having short fur. 'Cause sometimes they get all curly/tangled up. That's why I remove it whenever I pet him. Thanks for the informative advice though! :)
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Here's the grooming tool I use most often: 5-Inch Gripsoft Rotating Comfort Comb, Medium
The rotating pins especially help with the more curly & coarse fur on the back legs. A metal flea comb (~2") is handy for combing the face & head. Don't bother trying the 99¢ plastic variety; they can't get through the undercoat.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

DrewBear wrote:Here's the grooming tool I use most often: 5-Inch Gripsoft Rotating Comfort Comb, Medium
The rotating pins especially help with the more curly & coarse fur on the back legs. A metal flea comb (~2") is handy for combing the face & head. Don't bother trying the 99¢ plastic variety; they can't get through the undercoat.
Wow thanks! This sure helps a lot 'cause I'll know what to look for and buy. His fur is starting to grow thickly. Thank you for the good advice! Do I need a certain shampoo for him? 'Cause I just use the lab and german sherpherd's shampoo my brother use for them.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

He may very well be a full-on chow. The paws, nose, and coloring look right. He may in fact be a Smooth as Drew suggested. I have nevered owned a Smooth, so my knowledge of how they look as pups is limited.

Regardless, he is a fantastic looking pup. Seems to have great expression in his face. In larger varieties of Chows, the ears tend to be floppier as pups, so hey should straighten. They do seem somewhat rounded though. Chows are typically a sharper triangle shape.

A few pics of the rear hind would help...should be very straight, with just a slight bend at the knee. Kind of a tip-toe stance with not a lot of movement at the knee during walk. Referred to as a stilted gait.

Definitely a red/cinnamon. That black mask will fade. Look at the ears for a good indication of final coloring (that could be at 1 year or later).

Brush regularly regardless of fur tangling. It stimulates the skin and encourages new fur growth. If he is a smooth, a pin brush will be fine for now. Roughs will develop LOTS of fur around the rear and neck area and he will need a comb and a rake to keep that looking nice. A finishing brush is also a nice add on for either variation.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Rory's Dad wrote:Look at the ears for a good indication of final coloring (that could be at 1 year or later).
That's good to know!
Brush regularly regardless of fur tangling. It stimulates the skin and encourages new fur growth. If he is a smooth, a pin brush will be fine for now.
I'm hoping regular grooming will also lengthen the time between baths. If my smoothy has had a good romp outside (roll in dusty grass, etc.), I muss him up good to dislodge the majority of dust & debris outdoors. Later, when he's napping, a grooming session will take care of anything left. It's also a good time to check for foxtails, burrs, etc.

I bought a pin brush, but it tends to grab the puppy fur more than the comb does. It also doesn't give the same plush-animal look in the end. :D Since he's still small, it doesn't take long to use the comb. The larger brush may be more useful when he's larger.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Rory's Dad wrote:He may very well be a full-on chow. The paws, nose, and coloring look right. He may in fact be a Smooth as Drew suggested. I have nevered owned a Smooth, so my knowledge of how they look as pups is limited.

A few pics of the rear hind would help...should be very straight, with just a slight bend at the knee. Kind of a tip-toe stance with not a lot of movement at the knee during walk. Referred to as a stilted gait.
Hello Rory's Dad! Your post painted a smile on my face. I was literally smiling while reading, it really made my heart float in happiness. Thank you for taking the time to explain such things about my baby boy. :D

I took this picture of him awhile ago, for we just finished bathing him and he is really playful afterwards, it's hard to keep him still.

This is a picture of him after all the fireworks have subsided on New Year's. He always does this when he wants to get down from being carried.

This is the first time I got him. I made him sleep at our table outside a cafe.

And here is a short. Video of how Chicco walks/runs (this was taken when he was 2months and 3 weeks old). Kindly click on the image to be redirected to the video... Thank you. :)

Actually, I was hoping to have a cream chow chow puppy, and a female at that. But the one who gave us Chicco made us pick between 3 chow chow puppies. The other two were siblings (female black and male cream). I was torn because I wanted a cream female chow. So when I was about to pick between the two siblings, which I am really thinking hard, out came chicco. He stole the limelight in an instant with his playful attitude, and I just love his big paws. But I was still thinking of bringing home either of the siblings, but Chicco's charm is too irresistible I have to give in. The previous owner/breeder said Chicco's dad is a "lion type" chow (though I have a vague idea of that), and that the two chow siblings were of "bear type" (again, I am not really that well informed with those bear and lion types). I touched chicco's ears and he said it'll stand up once he matures, for some of his pups were like that. Since he has no papers, I just accepted everything he said. Besides, Chicco is too cute not to bring home with us. So that's the story of how it all began with Chicco. :D
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

licorish wrote:And here is a short. Video of how Chicco walks/runs (this was taken when he was 2months and 3 weeks old).
He certainly looks very much like a smooth Chow to me. Handsome pup! I love the curly tail, which is something I notice most often with smooths. I'm not familiar with the "bear" or "lion" type designations, but Thor definitely looks like a lion cub at times. My first Chow was named Bear for obvious reasons. 8)
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

DrewBear wrote: He certainly looks very much like a smooth Chow to me. Handsome pup! I love the curly tail, which is something I notice most often with smooths. I'm not familiar with the "bear" or "lion" type designations, but Thor definitely looks like a lion cub at times. My first Chow was named Bear for obvious reasons. 8)
Really?! Yay! If my baby boy grew up to be as handsome as Thor, I wouldn't mind at all! :D I thought the curly tail is present among smooth and rough coated chows? I don't actually know the difference between the "bear" and "lion" type and if there's such thing (I only see them here in the Philippines, whenever they sell Chow chows)
I saw pictures of Bear when I was browsing the forum, and he is sooo cute! He (he's a he right?) made me want to have a black chow! But it would be very hard to see him in the dark, I think. :p
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

I love the way Chicco looks in the fence pic. How clever he was to make an entrance while you were deciding! How chowlike & chowsmart of him to make you think that you chose him when he actually decided on you! 8)

Looks like all smooth chow to me and I recognize that hop in the video...I call it the chowbunny hop. My Sheena, an adult rescue, who is a rough coat red of almost 13 years young does the chowbunny hop when I come home. She makes me feel so special and I luv her so much.

Chicco really does look like a character and a bundle to handle...I can't stop smiling...he is such a handsome little guy. :x

Jennifer & Sheena
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Juniper wrote:I love the way Chicco looks in the fence pic. How clever he was to make an entrance while you were deciding! How chowlike & chowsmart of him to make you think that you chose him when he actually decided on you! 8)

Looks like all smooth chow to me and I recognize that hop in the video...I call it the chowbunny hop. My Sheena, an adult rescue, who is a rough coat red of almost 13 years young does the chowbunny hop when I come home. She makes me feel so special and I luv her so much.

Chicco really does look like a character and a bundle to handle...I can't stop smiling...he is such a handsome little guy. :x

I was about to go to school, and he was brought up to the fence to say bye, 'cause he barks whenever he sees me dressed in white and about to go. Though he usually likes to chew on the ribbon at my shoes. :lol:
That's my favorite shot of him too. He looks smug. :lol:

It was really a surprise when he came out. And he just kept on playing with us. When his owner had put him away in his cage, we were shocked because he went out again, pushing the door open like he's too strong or something, and went at my feet. He seems to enjoy being petted when we where admiring him, but his owner said he's a snob and doesn't like to have people being "too touchy". He didn't stop prancing around us. After having decided to bring him home, he seems to fall asleep when I pet him. Though now he is too playful and we're trying to stop him from biting things, or us, for he's too playful. That's our problem now, his bites and nibbles. :(

Wow, I'm sure your chow is so pretty (I rarely see red chows here :( ), and she has a rough coat making her regal looking, I assume. :x I can just imagine the chowbunny hop. I thought Chicco just runs "cutely", I didn't know it was common among chows. :p I'm sure you guys are blessed to have each other, as she is happy to be with you as you are with her. :x Do you have a thread/post I can go to, to see your baby girl? :)

Thank you for appreciating my little bundle of joy. :) It is much appreciated, thank you very much. :)
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

licorish wrote:...now he is too playful and we're trying to stop him from biting things, or us, for he's too playful. That's our problem now, his bites and nibbles. :(
Thor's breeder did a great job training bite inhibition, so it has been pretty easy for me. I think this video explains things well: http://youtu.be/sMv_X6ufOIw

I only leave a couple of toys out at any given time. The idea is so that he does not become bored with the same stuff lying around. This way he gets excited when a "new" toy is introduced. Also work on the "drop it" cue when playing any sort of tug. You want it to be part of a game instead of a competition that he must win.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

DrewBear wrote: Thor's breeder did a great job training bite inhibition, so it has been pretty easy for me. I think this video explains things well: http://youtu.be/sMv_X6ufOIw

I only leave a couple of toys out at any given time. The idea is so that he does not become bored with the same stuff lying around. This way he gets excited when a "new" toy is introduced. Also work on the "drop it" cue when playing any sort of tug. You want it to be part of a game instead of a competition that he must win.
I'll definitely check the video. I'm still thinking of what toys I should buy for him, I've been reading things here in the forum, still, I'm thinking if I should buy squeeky toys, plushies, or those tug-o-war things or try all of them. I bought him a raw hide, 'cause my brother said it'll help with his nibbling. But it seems he's not that interested with it. He'll bite at it for seconds or a minute, then leaves it.
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

We took Chicco for a walk/play at the park along with my brother's dogs. I've managed to take a video and some pictures.

I think he's cute here.

And this is a video of Chicco running (please click on the image to be redirected, thank you :D)

He usually waits for the lab to get the frisbee... Then when she's near he'll try to take it away from her. Here he is waiting for the lab...

And here he is running after the german shepherd. :)

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow, so much activity on this post since i last viewed. Nice to see.

Those photos and vids of Chicco running surely make me think 100% chow. The ears are still a bit rounded for my taste, but that doesnt mean not 100% chow. Pretty certain that they will stand at maturity, but a good sign of a large Chow.

I really like the fact that the pup and you chose each other. I have a similar story with our just over 2 year old male. He snuggled up to my wife and they selected each other. Nothing like an instant bond to ensure the right fit.

World over Creams are becoming difficult to obtain. Cream is a recessive gene color for chows. Even if both parents are cream, they are not likely to produce a fully cream litter. Reds and Cinnamon are wayyyyy more likely in any chow offspring. Similarly, blues/blacks are less likely.

My first two chows were both creams. My current two are reds. I have a friend who is currently showing the #1 female chow in the US. He is searching the world for a cream without much success.
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Rory's Dad wrote:Wow, so much activity on this post since i last viewed. Nice to see.

Those photos and vids of Chicco running surely make me think 100% chow. The ears are still a bit rounded for my taste, but that doesnt mean not 100% chow. Pretty certain that they will stand at maturity, but a good sign of a large Chow.

I really like the fact that the pup and you chose each other. I have a similar story with our just over 2 year old male. He snuggled up to my wife and they selected each other. Nothing like an instant bond to ensure the right fit.

World over Creams are becoming difficult to obtain. Cream is a recessive gene color for chows. Even if both parents are cream, they are not likely to produce a fully cream litter. Reds and Cinnamon are wayyyyy more likely in any chow offspring. Similarly, blues/blacks are less likely.

My first two chows were both creams. My current two are reds. I have a friend who is currently showing the #1 female chow in the US. He is searching the world for a cream without much success.
Hi, sorry I've been away. Got really busy with school, and I just had the time to post on here 'case I'm sick and resting from school and stuff. Thank you for your good alssessment of Chicco, it's just really the ears that bothers me a lot ('cause it's too big and floppy). His fur is starting to get really thick, especially at the neck and hind area. I bought a brush now. And it really does make a difference. When we bathe him and brush him he looks more fluffier and his hair does look pretty good. And I've started to give him different kinds of toys... So now I know he prefers squeaky ones, or plushies. He does seem to grow big quite fast. And heavier. My soon-to-be-sis-in-law was shocked when she saw Chicco again, she said it's only been a week or so when she last saw him and now he's huge. We took him to the vet for his shots, and the vet said his weight is still normal for his age. But he's really heavy now.

Your chow and your wife must have a pretty strong bond. :) I'm always fond of how dogs are capable of loyalty to their owners. :)

I am now searching for a female cream chow. I see them a lot when I do online searches here in the Philippines (they even sell on facebook). Though they take advantage of the chow's color and sell them with different price (not to mention of course females are more pricey). I am really really fond of cream chows, but I guess it'll be a long wait for me, since here in the Philippines, they are too expensive, and I'm still studying medicine so I can't really afford to have one just yet. Black/blue chows are the ones I rarely see. I usually see cinnamon, with reds less common.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Make sure you understand the coloring cues before you invest in a reported cream. Cinnamons and Reds alike will appear to be cream as pups. Any black coloring in the muzzle or tail fur is a sure give away. Pay particular attention to the coloring on the ears. Anything other than a slightly darker hue will indicate they probably wont stay cream.

Most creams will have a lighter pigment in the nose and mouth area as pups. Will appear as a defect in the chow coloring. That doesnt mean they aren't full chow. Its normal, but only very high quality cream chows will develop that full dark coloring in the nose and mouth.

It may not matter to you in the end, just providing info. Majority of cream chows will have either spotted pink aspects to those areas or a muted blue/black coloring. Cream chows that also adhere to the flesh coloring standard are going to be expensive and hard to locate.
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Rory's Dad wrote:Make sure you understand the coloring cues before you invest in a reported cream. Cinnamons and Reds alike will appear to be cream as pups. Any black coloring in the muzzle or tail fur is a sure give away. Pay particular attention to the coloring on the ears. Anything other than a slightly darker hue will indicate they probably wont stay cream.

Most creams will have a lighter pigment in the nose and mouth area as pups. Will appear as a defect in the chow coloring. That doesnt mean they aren't full chow. Its normal, but only very high quality cream chows will develop that full dark coloring in the nose and mouth.

It may not matter to you in the end, just providing info. Majority of cream chows will have either spotted pink aspects to those areas or a muted blue/black coloring. Cream chows that also adhere to the flesh coloring standard are going to be expensive and hard to locate.
Oh! Good thing you told me that, Rory's Dad! Wow... Very informative indeed. So, if the "cream" chow pup has a light brown color for its ears, it won't stay cream as it grows up?

But they are so cute though. And so fluffeeh! Haha. I want a female chow pup for chicco to have company with, when the time comes the two big dogs would move out (my brother and his wife would take them in their new home after their wedding). I sure would miss the two dogs, but I'm pretty sure Chicco would miss them more. I kept on looking and looking for "affordable" cream chows. But their offers are usually 35,000Php and above. Really out of my student budget. But they're the ones whose cream all over. With big paws and fluffiness overload.

I was wondering... Why do some cream chows appear almost white? They're so pretty actually. I would love to have a black/blue one too. But I don't know how to distinguish between black and blue chows, and besides, my mom likes cream colored ones more. They just look so delicate and "angelic".