Questions from a future Chow Chow Owner

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

epicurean
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions from a future Chow Chow Owner

Post by epicurean »

Hi, I'm Ben, and I've been considering getting two Chow Chow pups after I move. My family and I will most likely move to Las Vegas.
I know how the Chow's fur is very dense, therefore I want to know some things so I could prevent an overheat, or etc, and what
I can do to keep the pup's cool.

We're also considering getting one male, and one female. Would that be a good pair or would
two male pups would be better, because I want to continue getting Chows, and since
Chow Chows are an expensive breed, or etc. What should I do? :?:
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Questions from a future Chow Chow Owner

Post by yatta5000 »

For the overheating...I'd say in the case that you do get a Chow do not cut the fur. Though to us it may seem logical to take off, it is their protection from the sun and snow. There are people in South Africa with Chows...that shocked me too! If you get a black chow be VERY careful not to let them overheat. Keep them in a cool area, lots of water, i even feed my chows ice...they love it.

As far as what gender...whichever you want but I'll say I disagree with the breeding as it is 1 more work than one may think, 2 you aren't helping the breed but getting two chows and selling pups for cheaper to line your pockets a little. I enjoy the price of Chow being expensive because it slows the rate at which irresponsible people get this breed and the dog land in a shelter only to be put down because they weren't prepare to take what the breed dishes out. and lastly if the pups you have laster get an health problem for whatever reason breeding that into another pup leds to more problem if you get what i mean.

But good luck, do research on the breed, I recommend getting a pup from a good breeder. It's lots of people here to give you awesome advice and just to learn things. Don't feel bad if it takes a while for people to respond on here thats just how it is sometimes hahaha good luck ben

PS if you need contact a breeder and just ask them questions, Americans LOOOOOOOVE to talk about their dogs haha and especially breeders who have tons of dogs hahahaha
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Hello, After your email I thought I would check your other posts I hope you don't mind. Good breeding is very expensive. You need to first have chows that are either champions in agility or shows. It takes years of training and work. You don't want to be one of those people who just breeds to breed. You can unknowingly breed chows with undesirable qualities or who are genetic defects (some of the breed specific defects should be checked before considering breeding a chow). Good breeders do it for love of the breed and wanting to keep the standard. Most loose money in doing so.

Also, chows can do well in hot weather if they have access to air conditioning/central air. But you must also be okay with the possibility of a hole or two. Many chows will dig in hot weather to make a cool spot for themselves. Its really very smart of them, but not all chow parents are particularly fond of holes so I would make sure this is something you are willing to deal with before purchasing your chow baby.

Each chow has a different personality, but with that being said if you have two males they can become territorial when you bring in a female at that point. I personally am partial to female since imo they seem a bit more laid back. But no matter what you do working with a trainer that is knowledgeable in the wonderful world of chows can make everything a million times more easy. Lastly...don't forget socialize socialize socialize. I cannot stress how important this is for your young chows and basic training. Chows tend to me very well behaved pups, but can be strong willed as they grow if you don't establish the ground rules. Good luck and I am so happy you are thinking about bringing such a wonderful pup into your life.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have two chows, both of which are rescues. One male, and one female. Both are fixed. They both get on quite well, although Ursa is a bit bossy. I live in South Mississippi, and used to live in Savannah GA. On a winter day, they are very lively, but let the weather warm up, and they will just lie about. A/C is almost a must, and my two have their favorite spots in front of the vents when we ride in the van. At this time of year, they like to spend a lot of time sleeping on the tile floor when inside. Outside they will stay on the screened porch or under the shrubs. Ursa likes to observe the world from a corner of the yard, and I have a piece of marble from an old table top. The marble is cool and keeps her from digging in the corner to cool off. I had the same arrangement in Savannah. I have thought about putting in a small plastic pond for them, but I don't know how that would work out. I have managed to restrain my wife this year, and she has only clipped them a little, leaving about 1 1/2 inch of fur on them. She complains that they shed all over the house and the short hair is better from a housekeeping aspect. I think that is a personal issue, and that big ball of hair that just rolled across the room doesn't upset me. I like a large pin brush for grooming. A chow need to be brushed regularly.

I would suggest that you look for a rescue. There are many out there, and it breaks my heart to know that most of them will not find good homes. Chows are wonderful dogs that require some personal attention, but they definitely repay it. I am against breeding chows. There are a number of issues over the years brought on by inbreeding and improper selections of sire and dams that has hurt the breed. The only way I would recommend breeding chows is if you were able to research several generations from the breeders, and have access to veterinarian records as well. Some medical testing might also be necessary.

For companion animals, a rescue chow is wonderful. The price is right, and you are doing the right thing.