Hello new member from Canada

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

meanblackchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello new member from Canada

Post by meanblackchow »

Hi All,

Very nice to join the group. I currently have a cream chow who is now 9 and a half years old. Of course he is the apple of his daddy's eye and knowing this he tries to take every advantage.

Prior to this I had a rescue chow for four years and to start a black chow who was my first puppy chow who blessed me with his presence for a great 10 years. I just adore the breed and get a real kick out of how they try to treat you with such indifference but you look up and there they are near your side guarding the door, funny guys. My current guy is on a mission to make friends with the *Censored Word* cats in the neighbourhood, he see's one we walk over to them, he starts singing to them, you know that whiney sound then he does a little dance after which he tries an approach to sniff them and make friends, needless to say this hasn't met with any success with a forceful hiss sent his way.

I haven't found them to be lazy and the first and this one have been excellent trail buddies hiking 20 to 30 kilometers at a go once were both in shape for it, been on the bruce trail here and several of the provincial parks with them both, not fair though as they make me carry their water.

Anyway thanks for for taking the time to read this, if anyone ever needs any advice or help I would be most happy to assist. Jeff
ursula
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hello new member from Canada

Post by ursula »

Hello! Your experience is admirable and commendable for sure. It makes me so sad that people can be so standoffish with my dog and I at parks!

Definitely could use some tips as I've just rescued a beautiful (said to be mixed -- i dont think he is) Chow Chow. He is 4 and while he is sweet and extremely attached to me, he is soooo standoffish to everyone else. While he no longer growls at people (its been something like a month), he will not people pet him. I understand the strangers, but my husband who has been with us for a month -- he's in and out of the house now for work -- he still will not come around to as much.

He now understands commands such as UpUp on the couch and bed, but pulls so bad on the leash. Does not seem to like treats so it is hard to reward him for not pulling sometimes. I love my little Zuko so much. He is so sweet and loving. This is my first dog, but I would not change my mind on giving him the best life I can. Could use all the help!

Much love. Hope you and your fam are well during these times.