New member! Help with a neutering question please.

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Wagner's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

New member! Help with a neutering question please.

Post by Wagner's Mom »

Hello! I am new to ChowChow.org. My 9-month-old chow chow puppy, Wagner was neutered Tuesday. It is now Friday and he is still not able to walk. He stands up briefly, hops/scootches a bit then frantically tries to turn around and get to his incision, then flops down. He is wearing an E collar. This is driving him crazy but he needs to keep it on as it is clear he would lick and chew his the incision site. The vet keeps saying that it's the breed, they are very sensitive and dramatic and that's the reason for his behavior. They told me to stop giving him the prescribed Trazodone but keep up with the pain killer (Rimadyl) and see if that helps. I stopped 24 hours ago. He is eating and drinking and finally urinated and had a bowel movement this morning but continues to lay there whining. Has anyone else had a male chow experience this after being neutered? Is it common for the breed to react like this after a spay or neuter surgery? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
meanblackchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New member! Help with a neutering question please.

Post by meanblackchow »

No not all both chows I had neutered were up and about shortly after, within a day, and running around within 2. I would like to suggest you take the chow to another vet and get another opinion. I never heard anyone say that the breed is overly sensitive.

I really hope all is ok.