Newbie with my baby chow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Onehotcop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Newbie with my baby chow

Post by Onehotcop »

Hey everyone I'm new to the Chow Chow community and me and the family just brought home our 7 weeks old Chow "Simba"(alot of Chows named that I see...lol) and he has been home for about days and is finally out the shy stage and is very playful and "rough" ...trying to start training him and he is soooooo stubborn and doesn't give all his attention...what is a good treat to give him because the doggie training treat he has he will only eat 2 and walk away and not want to be bothered...any suggestions with the training?
Attachments
Simba
Simba
12234906_1074051669272330_8450042836923044148_n.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Newbie with my baby chow

Post by Laura »

Congratulations, he is adorable! I do wish his breeder had been responsible enough to keep him with his mom and litter mates until he was at least 8 weeks old. No offense to you at all, it's just a big pet peeve of mine.
What kind of training? I took mine to a local puppy class when they were old enough. Mostly for socialization. Other than house training, walking on a leash, and socialization I'm not much of a trainer. As far as treats you will have to experiment and find what his trigger is. He is a baby so I wouldn't expect a long attention span. Just remember to only use positive training techniques, no hitting/yelling/shaming! In my experience once you survive the puppy biting/chewing stage Chows are naturally well behaved house dogs when raised in a loving environment. Socialization is the most important part of raising a chow. Take him everywhere, have people over, go to their houses, drop by the vet just for a positive social call, if you plan to use a groomer start NOW ( make sure you get a good one that you can trust to be kind and gentle! I've had a great one since mine were pups), go to the park, to Petsmart, meet the neighbors, etc. The first 5 months are huge for introducing them to the world and all of the experiences that will be part of their lives from here on out.
You can search the forum using the search engine and by reading pinned threads at the top of sections to find tons of info.
Most of all enjoy this baby time because it will be gone in a flash.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Newbie with my baby chow

Post by Rory's Dad »

Everything that Laura said!

Particularly with the breeder letting the pup go too soon, and the socialization.

You cant change the release, so that makes it even more important to get him out and about. Make sure he is used to any situation you can think of. Expand his world and contact. This really will make him so much more accessible later on. He needs to be accepting of you and everyone else (people and dogs) that he meets.

You should work to find a treat that he loves. Make sure that he is earning them. Nothing for free is a great mindset. And as you move forward mix it up a bit. Give him attention rewards at times just to be certain he is paying attention rather than food.

Congrats, he is a good looking pup. Be responsible with his training and I am sure he will be a great addition. Feel free to search through the archives or ask if you have any questions.