Hi Everyone!

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

AmythystMyst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hi Everyone!

Post by AmythystMyst »

Hi Everyone! Introducing my cream Chow Chow Noah who is 13 weeks old. So this is my first Chow Chow since I was a child.
I was wondering what size crate would be most appropriate for Noah as he becomes an adult 36 inch or 42 inch. Noah does not mind being in the crate at all. His other resident dog is Harley an eleven year old Shih Tzu who also uses a crate at night and for naps.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by Sirchow »

Hello and welcome. It would be lovely to see some pics of Noah. :D

I always crate train my chows as if nothing else it can be a lot less stressful for them if they ever have to stay overnight at the vets. I would go for the larger size then there is room for a food bowl and water dish. I started by putting their food in the crate and just leaving the door open for them to come out immediately. I would give them a special chew and pop it in the crate encouraging them to lie and eat it and once they wee comfortable shut the door for a short time. Just build it up in gentle way...leaving the room for a few minutes and coming back. It is something you may be glad of if you have visitors with dogs or children too.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree that the larger sizes are a good choice if you are simply providing a safe haven in the home.

If you need to travel or otherwise crate him for reasons where the crate size might be an issue, then the 36 is fine. That is my usual size for my dogs. We frequently travel with 2 chows, and these fit in my vehicle (admittedly I have a large SUV for this purpose). When we have to take all 3 dogs we switch out to 30" crates, and these are a bit cramped for the dogs.