New Chow owner- is 6 weeks old puppy too young to come home?

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

lilie60653
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow owner- is 6 weeks old puppy too young to come home?

Post by lilie60653 »

Hello everyone !

Hope you can give me advice on what to do... because I am so confused...
The breeder (AKC) ascertains that my puppy is ready to go home, she is 6 weeks old - of course I am excited to go pick her up, which was planned for tomorrow; but after talking to the pet store employees, puppy trainer, and online searches, I am definitely doubting that my puppy is ready to go home already.
When I raised my concern to the breeder, she said that her pups are well socialized, eat wet food, and 6 weeks is ideal as the pup will bond better with me, while when kept longer with the mom and siblings, the pups may have separation anxiety, and will have a harder time leaving their home.

Has anyone took their puppy home before 8 weeks old ?If so, how was your experience ?
Will my puppy develop and/or be happy if I take her home tomorrow ?

Thank you so much !
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow owner- is 6 weeks old puppy too young to come h

Post by Rory's Dad »

6 weeks is too young. Puppy needs more time to learn puppy play with littermates and to be properly weaned off mother. Anything sooner unless circumstances require it is too soon. If the mother is not available to feed or a single litter, then maybe, but otherwise no.

If the pup is introduced to manufactured foods then there is a risk of nutritional deficiency. Lack of proper socialization can also be a problem.

Breeders willing to release a pup at that age should be questioned. Either they are avoiding the costs of housing a litter for those extra weeks, skipping the early vet visits, or just unwilling to go to the trouble of early training.

I personally would raise the red flag and investigate a LOT further.
lilie60653
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lilie60653 »

That's what I was thinking as well, but the breeder explained that chows were different..., that the mom didn't want anything to do with her pups... So she was ready to go home. She added that it would be harder for the pup to leave at 8/10 weeks because she'd have bonded with her (breeder) and her family.

Despite her explanation, I decided to wait couple more to pick her up.

Thank you so much for your insight! It is my first time adopting a chow, and a bit nervous but extremely excited :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, the rejection thing can certainly happen, but that doesn't mean the pups are ready to leave. They can still benefit from litter time.

I really don't like the explanation or the fact that the breeder is trying to push them out. But if you are able to hold them off until the normal time, then it just sounds like laziness on the breeders part. Make sure the pup has had his initial vet visit and that you get those records.

FYI, chows are definitely not any different than other breeds in this regard. If you are still feeling doubtful, post the breeder info to see if anyone else has experience with them.