Im confuse about my 4 months old chow..

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

fortdachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Im confuse about my 4 months old chow..

Post by fortdachow »

I have this cute and cuddly male chow chow 2 months ago. At first he is very small yet fluffy he has big fur all over his body, his tongue is a bit of pink with black spots. At first Im expecting on his 3rd month more and more fur will be growing but I got disappointed until he reach his 4 months, less fur oh his neck, his tail and back. Im confuse because the pet shop owner said that i brought a pure breed chow. He doesn't have fur underneath his tummy no fur or hair at all. Please Help me :"(
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Im confuse about my 4 months old chow..

Post by Juniper »

Sorry to hear about your chowpup. I'm not very knowledgeable about pups but I would think if there is a loss of hair there could be a parasite or skin problem going on, maybe the chow has alopecia. In my Sheena, who is an adult chow, I didn't see any parasites on her skin and she wasn't itching so I took her to the vet who didn't find any parasites or skin problem either, did a blood test which showed it was a thyroid problem.

Chows need a lot of grooming and do lose fur. Chow pups usually have pink tongues that turn black as they get older. Maybe some other more experienced chow people who have had pups will have an answer for you.

When I know something is wrong, I immediately take my chow to the vet who definitely knows more than me. I would take the pup to the vet since loss of hair, or baldness in specific areas as the chow grows is not indicative of a healthy chowpup to me.

Please keep us updated.
Jennifer & Sheena