Chow Fest 2008 East of the Mississippi

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Willing to drive 500 miles or less for a 2 day Chow Fest?

Oh yea I will be there!
63%
Oh man it is to far!
38%

Total votes: 8

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Chow Fest 2008 East of the Mississippi

Post by Larry Harris »

Hello Everyone,

Thinking aloud here. I am working in one of my map programs and found what I think is a doable distance for everyone that would like to attend a two day Chow Fest in the spring of 2008.

Do we have any members in Kentucky? Anyone know of a fun dog park there with all the facilities we would need? BTW it is about 500 +- 80 miles from WI, MI, MD, LA, AL, GA. Think I have a fair gauge of states for distance? Did I miss anyone west of WI?

Larry
chris

Post by chris »

IM IN! :D
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It is too far in the future to know what my circumstances will be, but I still would prefer something in Northern Indiana. When I tried to get folks to commit to a distance, I found most would go in theory, but when it came to actually doing it... it is better to keep one way trips under 300 miles. Chris is for sure a for sure! :P I really am not trying to put a damper on things, I am just relaying my experience from May's events.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I am in northern Georgia/Southern Tennessee...the Chattanooga area. I can ask around and see if anyone knows anywhere in Kentucky that would be good. What part of Kentucky were you looking at? What about northern Tennessee? Gatlinburg is a real tourist trap with shopping and family activities nestled in the mountains so they might have an animal park that would work plus you can rent houses and condos as well as hotel rooms for reasonable prices during non peak times. Let me know more on what you are thinking and I will go ahead and start asking around now.
Nicole
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Auddymay,

Yep that is a concern of mine to. Terrina and I host a large annual event in IN every year. We have had very good luck with early advertising and and information sharing.

We have found that many sign up but not all of them in the long run are able to make it.

For the last 8 years we have averaged 200 - 250 vehicles and about 600 people. The first year it was 13 people :lol:

Larry
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

When we were planning the first U.S. cc.org ChowFest last year, I mentioned that everyone was invited to our ChowFest. Meaning, each region can certainly have a ChowFest, but a National ChowFest where everyone knows the date and location is do-able and something to think about. This is a way you can plan a week or a weekend way in advance. At this moment, almost a year in advance. But Auddymay is correct. There are pleny of "I can comes", but life goes on and unfortunately, last minute cancellations have to occur, especially for events that are not fee based. Fee based events do tend to make people commit.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

What about making it fee based, in a way. If we booked all the hotel rooms in one hotel and at one time we would probably get a really good rate anyway. So why not do that for the whole group and have everyone pay up front for that...make it like a vacation package type of thing. I don't know if that is realistically doable since I have never planned anything like that. Arrange a chowfest fund maybe, even try to provide the lodging for free for a member who couldn't come because of monetary reasons otherwise? I don't know how helpful any of that is.
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

It is too far away to commit but we would be interested. Our attendance would depend on the dates, location, work schedule, and family obligations. A non-refundable registration fee is okay as long as it is a reasonable amount ($30 or less).

If we come we will probably bring our camper instead of staying in a hotel. So a location with a campground nearby would be appreciated.

We attended Bama's Chow Fest and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Having the opportunity to meet many others in a dog friendly location would be great.

Thanks for your efforts.
Nita F.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

coleywoley wrote:What about making it fee based...
Not unless someone wants to be the accountant of it all would that work well. "Uncle" will always want something out of us, so having a fee based event would mean we are some legit organization with a fund to fill. That will impact someone's taxes. Besides, ChowFest was for the chows and the guardians to meet-n-greet and eat potluck. What we asked at CF07 Northern California is if they were compelled to want to give $$, then donate to the site, this site, since ChowAdmin bears most of the cost and it is this site that brought us together.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I never would have thought of the taxes thing but I don't usually plan stuff like that. So the best option is to plan way ahead. If we did two seprate chow fests-one for each coast could we plan them for the same day and maybe plan ahead for live video. That way even if everyone can't make it to one or the other they could all feel included in a way? I know my laptop has an integrated web cam but haven't got a clue how to use it or how the whole video conferencing thing works.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Truthfully, everyone at a ChowFest is at the moment, unless you can ask for a neighbor or a friend to man the AV, sorta not gonna happen as hoped. But it should be tried!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

In theory, the live cam sounds great, but then the problem lies with who's going to disconnect themselves from the fun and activities long enough to operate it?
I know at our chowfest, we were busy...on the go.
We wouldn't have any photos if Missi hadn't taken on the responsibility. My hope is that Missi didn't miss out on too much social interaction with the cc.org members.
So then, should the techical stuff be out sourced?
Just a thought?
Also, I my first idea of ordering a pizza would have been the best. It would have freed me up to visit more, and no one else would have had to bring anything. Don't get me wrong, our chowfest was a huge success, however I feel I have learned enough to make the next one even better!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Now Sher, I did tell you that was the way it would go! Remember you asked me if you should plan activities? Funny to think about that now! I am an avid photographer, and didn't take many photos in May. Let's face it, Chowfest is over before we know it, and the chows take their people home before we get to know them all!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I just did 750 each way for BamaFest, and it was worth every foot of it!

I highly recommend camping as the best way to go, also. From what I've heard from the motel dwellers, Lady, Benny and I got alot better night's sleep in Bama's field than some of them did. And it was the furbies first camping trip! :D
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Fest 2008 East of the Mississippi

Post by pfordeb »

As an extremely close observer (Not), I just noticed this as a separate thread.

Spring can never approach fast enough, but has anyone thought about a spring chowfest, anytime, anywhere? Kentucky and/or Tennessee would be sort of centrally located, I think, for East of the Mississippi -- but not only am I not very observant, but I truly, truly do not understand geography.

At any rate, depending on Sullivan's condition, I'd be in. An indoor dog park would be way cool, never heard of one before I read this thread.
courtsey of Sweetpea
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Tennesee !!!!!

Kentuk !!!

whoohoo you are in my back yard..

just what *facilities* are required

i betcha i can arrange a 5 acre Hay field from my neighbors down on indian creek the fence is not tight but ....
toliet facilities ... behind the bush .. well i suppose we could rig a tent..
food ... subway, sonic and mcdonald,, plus for the elegant minded the Plantation Inn,down by dover landing where the stemboats still dock..from time to time ..

motels , there are two .. [i think the plantation is a B&B]

if the hay field does not suit then perhaps the city park can be arranged, there they have had a fest known as Bark In the Park . quite the fest first there is prade , then the blessing of the animals .. then .the costume contest ,

as regards' off the lease work ' in tennesee for hunting and hearding dogs they are allowed off lease during work and training... some chows have got herding certs, they are tracking dudes,, so we can put up a sign says .. CHOW CHOW tracking/herding training Event .. expect dogs off lease.. i guess that would have to be in the hayfield unles we can swing event insurance..

well that was athrill of vision, i will never get the energy to co-ordinate ,just typing this wore me out , you tell me , where it gonna be..

michael
Dover
tn
gateway to the Land Between the lakes
Fort Dondelson , National battle field
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Where is Dover? I used to live in Nashville. It's about 6-7 hours from Central Ohio to Nashville.
courtsey of Sweetpea
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/geo/g ... _41_W_city

northern middle tennesee 2 hrs to nashville , 30 miles to paris , 30 miles to clarksvile , not far from Murry ky..

i like it because its a green zone.. when one looks at sat imagery it is a dark green area
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I might make a trip....ummm Jerryo can we follow you??? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

just what *facilities* are required

Fenced in area so the furkids can play. Place to cook up some burgers and brats and a place to go potty.

Larry
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Hey Vic, as I remember it I ended up following you last time. :)
Yet another Sweetpea masterpiece
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hey Jerryo, ITS YOUR TURN :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Again It is closer to TN than LA for me. by one whole hour.!! lol
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowwoman »

How does this one relate to the southern fest? Kentucky isn't exactly a centralized southern state..... Try SC or GA.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

chowwoman wrote:How does this one relate to the southern fest? Kentucky isn't exactly a centralized southern state..... Try SC or GA.
Just thinking out loud and trying to find a place to get to most people / Chows to. Pretty sure there will be more regional Chow Fest again this year as most can not travel that far. It would be fun to have the North , East, and South in one of the more central states.

Larry