Special Event Rules of Engagement for OH chowfest

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Special Event Rules of Engagement for OH chowfest

Post by chowfrnd88 »

If this is in the wrong section, could someone move it? Sorry for the inconvenience!

Auddymay and I were talking about how we predict our chows will act at the chowfest and then I had the thought that it might be nice to know a bit about what is okay and/or is not okay with certain chows, like if there's anywhere you don't want them petted, etc. Don't feel like you have to post to this though if you don't want to. :D

So here's some info on Special D:
You can pet Special anywhere, but he prefers on top of his head. When you all meet him, I think he will be so excited by all the chows and people that he will probably go from person to person, so if you reach down to pet him and he bounds to the next person, don't be offended :D , he'll be back!

In terms of how he'll act with his fellow chows, I think he'll be the same way as with the chowservants. :D He typiclaly runs over to for a quick "hi, my name is Special Dark, who are you?" smell and then bounds off to smell the nearest clump of grass or sapling or something, but as things calm down and they spend time together he'll probably initiate play. His other strategy is to follow the howdy smell with a play bow right away. I think that's what you cna expect from Special in a nutshell! :D Oh, and he tends to whirl around and check you out if you pet his rear or if a pup sniffs his rear. Sometimes he doesn't appreciate the playfulness of puppies, but if he doesn't like something he just walks away. Once in a very blue moon if there's a loud, starnge scary noise or something, he literally jumps (just like a cartoon character), it's something we're working on. :D

Okay, I think that's it. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

Steel sounds alot like Special D. Steel will be fine with all of the other chows and chow wanna be's AKA Roxi. ;-)

I'm going to lean on the side of caution though with Steel and people... let Steel come to you and put your hand out so he can sniff it... after a while he will come around and let you pet him. You guys know him.. he might like you instantly. If he does.. he might jump on ya to let you know. He likes it too if you get down to his level. I guess it makes you less intimidating.

Steel is starteld easily I have noticed. I have no idea why. But he either gets in a low bow for a second or he jumps just like special D. :-)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Well, with Pip, try to avoid petting her, just try...lol. I will stay after the foamy mouths both mine get when faced with a bunch of other Chows and lesser dogs to play with. I take a hand towel with me now for wiping mouths.

Lily. Leave her alone. Ignore her. She will come and sniff you, but that is no invitation to touch her, believe me. If you are filled with exhuberance at seeing her, as many are, crouch down and baby talk her and praise her. She will smile at you, and tilt her head, and run off the second you reach out toward her. If you try anyway, that hand better be sporting a treat. As I told Kat, there are a very select few Lily likes at the get go. It is like winning the Lily lottery. If I hadn't raised her, I would not be a winner.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Cheyenne is still wary of strangers...4 years in a cage will do that. She might bark for a few and then she will come up and sniff who she wants to....but petting her on the head is a NO NO for now. She really is a sweet girl when she knows you.

JR...you can do anything to Mr.Social...ANYTHING...especially if you are female.
However, if you are a female canine...he might try and show you that he is a male canine...sorry!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS