Chow gathering for east coast 2009?

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Moxie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow gathering for east coast 2009?

Post by Moxie »

Hello,

I saw pictures of the eastcoast chowfest, so cool! How about southern Maine? Month? We have five chows(at least) in our town alone! There is a great park I have in mind. On the water, great trails, of course dogs welcomed on leash. Any thoughts, suggestions? Anyone is welcome to camp out or in for that matter to save $$$.

Moxie
Moxie
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow gathering for east coast 2009?

Post by chowkidz »

The chowkidz are always up for traveling. We have never been to Maine and have been talking about going there soon. Keep us posted.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
floydchowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by floydchowchow »

Hi:

We spend a lot of time reading posts, but don't nearly post as much as we should. But that will now change!

My fiance and I live in Boston and would love to bring Floyd up to Maine to meet other Chows. There is only one other Chow in our neighborhood so a weekend with a lot of friends would be great for him.

Please keep us posted.

Best,
Robyn (Jason & Floyd)
Floyd Otto LT Chow Chow
HarrysMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HarrysMom »

Hi everyone, Is this chow fest open to anyone? I live on the Cape and I would love to meet up with other Chows, I have one Haryy he is about 10 weeks old now but if it is sometime next year would be great for him to meet some new friends.

Thanks
Kris
you cant see me right? because you know my eyes are closed right?
Moxie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Moxie »

So cool to know you are all out there, close by! I am new to posting, but believe it is open to everyone on this website. I say the more chows the merrier! We have three. Any thoughts or feelings on time of year? Sooner, perhaps dead of winter for snowshoeing? and such. Spring, April or May? How about a dip in the chilly ocean in August? My favorite would be September, but it seems so far away. Please give any suggestions as I can start to plot reserving the pavillon space at this park.

Again its great to hear from everyone. Thank you. Moxie
Moxie
floydchowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by floydchowchow »

Thank you for organizing this wonderful event.

The spring sounds great - April or May. The fall does sound like a world away. But of course, we can make it work pretty much any time.

Robyn
Floyd Otto LT Chow Chow
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I just saw this post, count us in :D we would love to meet everyone and their Chowbabies.
we can be flexible but it would be great if we make a date so I can get time off work :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Chowlvr2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlvr2 »

I am all for a chow fest in Maine- if anyone would like some help planning a chow fest I live in Blue Hill so I could help- Katy =D=
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

since its going to be in Maine,do you have any places in mind?
just let us know and we can start planning for it in April?
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Chowlvr2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlvr2 »

There are several places that would be wonderful for the chow fest- old orchard beach area is great and spacious for the chows. There are plenty of parks and such in Augusta, Portland and Bangor. If we want an indoor venue there are several places that are available to but we would need to book them well in advance.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

April would be awesome. We are talking about making it our family vacation \:D/ so i will need some suggestions from the Maine chowkidz on where we can stay. Keep us posted!
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

we need someone from Maine who knows the area to pick the place.
I would love around Old Orchard,thats a nice area.
so,OK Maine people lets make some plans soon :D
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Chowlvr2 wrote:There are several places that would be wonderful for the chow fest- old orchard beach area is great and spacious for the chows. There are plenty of parks and such in Augusta, Portland and Bangor. If we want an indoor venue there are several places that are available to but we would need to book them well in advance.
Last year we had our meetup in Freeport Maine.
The hotel was fantastic (Freeport Inn)

We found that the ocean towns were not necessarily that dog friendly and there were relatively no beaches where dogs were allowed.
Also, and I hate to say this, the ticks in maine are out of this world. To the point that we became obsessed with the problem.
We'd easily pick up two or three ticks per dog everytime we left our hotel room. It was crazy (just so you know)

All in all we had a great time, but I know many of us won't go back in warm weather because of the ticks.
They were out of this world.

MM
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Moxie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Moxie »

April it is then ,24, 25. 26. Any day better than another? I have afew ideas for hikes etc for the day as well as the next if some want to extend their stay. all are welcome to crash here provided you bring your sleeping bag and dog beds. I will inquire to pricing for those of you that wish to stay in a motel, just let me know.

One the meeting spots I'm thinking of is Fort Foster, Kittery Point, trails,beaches, lovely spot. All of our area beaches are very pet friendly on or off leash until the summer months, then its on leash, hours are alotted for off leash dog romping. The exception is Ogunquit beach, not very pet friendly, even in the town.

Easter is the 13th, some you might have days off around that, if that is a possibility let me know.

Brenda
Moxie
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

great Brenda,count us in :D
I work on the weekends so please let me know what days so I can take them off.
do you know the motels that are pet friendly?
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Off topic.... However, this appears to be a time critical post, Members from Maine, please help a fellow Maine resident with a chow in need: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12845
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

I need help. I have been looking for an affordable place to rent for the week for when this chow fest is and it seems most of them are not open until May or they want an obscene amount for the kidz. Any suggestions?
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

I don't know if all the details have been worked out or not but if reserving a pavillion is out, maybe try a smaller rural town's, close to whatever park, volunteer fire hall for a rental...If you can find a small Maine town's firehall info, my husband, who's a volunteer firefighter might be able to contact them and see about a cheap rate or maybe just a nominal fee to cover off any expenses... Might work...We'd definitly be down for a trip down to Maine, its not too far away for us.
Karla and Mika
ImageImage